Question BSOD while gaming

Jordanxq

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
I have recently had this issue where if I am playing a game which runs on 144 fps, after playing for about 30-40 minutes I get a BSOD usually it's "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".
This never happens when I'm playing games that I run on 60 fps, only with high fps. This only happens while I'm playing games, it never happens when I'm doing anything else.

This started happening roughly 2 weeks ago. And eventually one morning(3 days before writing this) my PC just BSOD 10 seconds after starting it and it kept going, I couldn't use my PC outside of safe mode. Before the PC got that hapened, I tried the usual "sfc /scannow" and diskcheck, no issues there. I reinstalled my GPU driver because most people were saying that it's most likely a GPU driver issue since it only happened in games, that did nothing.

Since I couldn't find any fix for this and I couldn't start my PC without it crashing. I reinstalled the PC the first time, keeping some of my files, thinking it was a driver issue, that didn't help. After 2 hrs of reinstalling my PC crashed instantly after the reinstalling was done. So I [redacted] reinstalled it again and this time I deleted all of my files, except some photos and important files that I kept in my D drive. That seemed to fix the issue, so I started redownloading all the stuff I was missing and thought it ended there.

However today I decided for the first time to play the game that was often crashing before, and like 30 minutes after playing I get the same BSOD that happened before, same DRIVER_IRQL issue. I have no idea what to do now and I'm really hoping it's not my GPU which is dying, I have a GTX 1080 and really can't afford to buy a new one right now. The GPU seems to work perfectly fine, I never have any FPS drops in games, my screen doesn't flicker or do anything weird or glitchy. I'm completely lost on what to try now.

Other BSOD messages I got were:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA
Also had an error message which said "iastorac.sys failed" (This was after the PC BSOD's on startup)
DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Most recent .dmp file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j9W_fG_OqjQ8JneRlXjRBlgDRbyTPd8h/view

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

Watch your language!
This is a family friendly site.
Lutfij

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
COU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Include the age of your PSU and it's make and model, not just it's wattage. Check and see which BIOS version your motherboard is currently on. Did you use DDU to remove your GPU drivers prior to reinstalling? Reinstall all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jordanxq

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
COU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Include the age of your PSU and it's make and model, not just it's wattage. Check and see which BIOS version your motherboard is currently on. Did you use DDU to remove your GPU drivers prior to reinstalling? Reinstall all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
My bad,

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700k CPU @ 3.70GHz
Motherboard: Z370 AORUS Gaming K3-CF
Ram: VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz
SSD: PM951 NVMe SAMSUNG 256GB
HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-22MFCA0
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
PSU: Corsair RM850x CP-9020093 (Couldn't see when it was made)
Bios version: F7, 5.7.2018

And yes I did use DDU to uninstall my old GPU driver.

Jordanxq

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
I have recently had this issue where if I am playing a game which runs on 144 fps, after playing for about 30-40 minutes I get a BSOD usually it's "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".
This never happens when I'm playing games that I run on 60 fps, only with high fps. This only happens while I'm playing games, it never happens when I'm doing anything else.

This started happening roughly 2 weeks ago. And eventually one morning(3 days before writing this) my PC just BSOD 10 seconds after starting it and it kept going, I couldn't use my PC outside of safe mode. Before the PC got that hapened, I tried the usual "sfc /scannow" and diskcheck, no issues there. I reinstalled my GPU driver (uninstalled with DDU) because most people were saying that it's most likely a GPU driver issue since it only happened in games, that did nothing.

Since I couldn't find any fix for this and I couldn't start my PC without it crashing. I reinstalled the PC the first time, keeping some of my files, thinking it was a driver issue, that didn't help. After 2 hrs of reinstalling my PC crashed instantly after the reinstalling was done. So I reinstalled it again and this time I deleted all of my files, except some photos and important files that I kept in my D drive. That seemed to fix the issue, so I started redownloading all the stuff I was missing and thought it ended there.

However today I decided for the first time to play the game that was often crashing before, and like 30 minutes after playing I get the same BSOD that happened before, same DRIVER_IRQL issue. I have no idea what to do now and I'm really hoping it's not my GPU which is dying, I have a GTX 1080 and really can't afford to buy a new one right now. The GPU seems to work perfectly fine, I never have any FPS drops in games, my screen doesn't flicker or do anything weird or glitchy. I'm completely lost on what to try now.

Other BSOD messages I got were:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA
Also had an error message which said "iastorac.sys failed" (This was after the PC BSOD's on startup)
DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Most recent .dmp file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j9W_fG_OqjQ8JneRlXjRBlgDRbyTPd8h/view

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

Specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700k CPU @ 3.70GHz
Motherboard: Z370 AORUS Gaming K3-CF
Ram: VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz
SSD: PM951 NVMe SAMSUNG 256GB
HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-22MFCA0 1TB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM850x CP-9020093
Bios version/Date: F7, 5.7.2018