[SOLVED] BSOD while installing Windows [7, 8.1 and 10] in both "normal" mode and inside virtual machines.

Sep 12, 2020
Hi.

I recently bought some new parts from a trusted seller in China. So I got some generic RAM sticks and a Ryzen 3500x CPU. The motherboard is an MSI B450-A Pro Max.
I had Windows 10 on a SSD, so I just tried and installed everything and just plugged the SSD, hoping there would be no problems, but BSOD happens. I assumed it was the new parts and I just formatted the SSD (with gparted in ubuntu 16.04 using a bootable USB). But every time I tried to install Window 10 (from a bootable USB created using Windows Media Creation Tool) a BSOD error shows. Every time the message is different, so far, the ones I remember are:
  • win32kfull.sys
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
These errors always shows up after 10 or 15 seconds after the Windows installation screen appears (where you choose the language and country). If I do nothing (not choosing any option) the BSOD still appears.

I thought it was faulty hardware, so I ran memtest86 with these results. No errors as you can see.
I also installed Ubuntu 16.04. No problems at all. I tested both the CPU and RAM under load by using the stress software in Ubuntu (stress --cpu 6 --io 4 --vm 10 --vm-bytes 1024M --timeout 300s). CPU didn't heat and didn't throw any errors.
So far, with all the testing, I had gotten no errors under Ubuntu.

I have tried:
  • Installing Windows with bootable USB using MBR and GPT.
  • Changed the BIOS options, using CSM, UEFI and UEFI + Legacy compatibility.
  • Different Windows versions such as 7, 8.1 and 10.
  • Using 3.0 USB (the blue one) and 2.0 USB (the gray one) to install Windows from bootable USB.
  • Removing hardware such as mouse, keyboard, ethernet cable.
  • Updated BIOS.
  • Turning off HD Audio from the BIOS.
  • Different USB sticks.
  • Unplug the SSD just to try the Windows installation.
  • Try to install Windows with and without ethernet cable.
  • Reset the CMOS by using the JBAT1 pins from the motherboard.
Under Ubuntu I installed VirtualBox and downloaded a Windows 10 ISO image from the official page (and activated CPU virtualization in BIOS) and even got a BSOD inside the Virtual Machine! (with no effect in the host) So I can't even run Windows on a VM. The error was "DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG".
I have also installed Ubuntu 18 in a VM with no problems.

I've tried a lot and I have no more clues to solve this. But the thing that bothers me is the fact that Ubuntu works perfectly while installing and using, but windows won't...
I will gladly try anything you recommend.

Solution
it could still be the ram even though it passes Memtest, if it not been tested with the board it might still be throwing errors due to timings. I would suggest trying different ram that is shows as working with the board, makers like Corsair or Crucial have memory finders.

Most of the time I see BSOD during win 10 installs it is ram

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could still be the ram even though it passes Memtest, if it not been tested with the board it might still be throwing errors due to timings. I would suggest trying different ram that is shows as working with the board, makers like Corsair or Crucial have memory finders.

Solution
Sep 12, 2020

I switched the RAMs and guess what, it worked! It still bugged me that Ubuntu won't make any complain tho, makes me think that those RAM are still salvageable.
Thanks!