[SOLVED] BSOD while playing Fallout shelter quite daily.

Solution
I have run both reports and came up with some new exceptions, the KMODE can be hardware or software but is usually down to driver or firmware incompatibility.

Dump 1: https://pste.eu/p/zM5C.html KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Dump 2: https://pste.eu/p/JDKm.html DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

View the reports for full Bugcheck information.
Before I cover these steps, it's worth noting I may be going over previous ground or there may be reasons for the "out of date" items - just going off what I see:

• The NVIDIA drivers are out of date
  • Audio driver is pointed as cause. You may want to disable this.
  • I would remove Avira and just run on Windows Defender for the time being.
  • I'd also check if your HWInfo has...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here:https://pste.eu/p/YXsX.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck D1, {0, ff, 0, fffff80e36f857f0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswVmm.sys
Probably caused by : hardware ( aswVmm+157f0 )

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If kernel debugger is available get stack backtrace.

Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000000000000ff, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: fffff80e36f857f0, address which referenced memory

PROCESS_NAME: dwm.exe
MODULE_NAME: hardware
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: IP_MISALIGNED_aswVmm.sys

After looking at the BUCKET ID and your stack, you can see that ASWVMM.SYS was present in the stack leading to the crash, and also the DMP file has indicated this is what caused an IP MISALIGNMENT.

ASSWVMM is a driver in your AVAST AntiVirus toolbox. So first port of call I would temporarily uninstall your AV to see if the issue persists.

Reactions: ProzacR

Colif

Win 11 Master
another pc with no lan drivers. magic... or, given its from 2009, its likely using microsoft default drivers.

since 90% of loaded drivers are Avast, its a easy guess.

Avast could be cause, I often blame lan drivers if AV crashes but if you can run with just defender for a while, it will tell you if it was avast or not.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
another pc with no lan drivers. magic... or, given its from 2009, its likely using microsoft default drivers.

since 90% of loaded drivers are Avast, its a easy guess.

Avast could be cause, I often blame lan drivers if AV crashes but if you can run with just defender for a while, it will tell you if it was avast or not.
Completely agreed - LAN was my other thought, just thought it'd be best to remove AV first and see.
No where near the first time I've (probably we've) seen Avast specifically cause these issues, as with many other AV except a small few.

ProzacR

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
I changed my anti-virus to Panda and after seeing following posts also I used Driver Booster to install some fresh drivers it installed sound mainly and no BSOD so far. Thanks for help again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I used Driver Booster to install...

If you had a newer PC I would tell you that using 3rd party driver updaters can (and will) install the wrong drivers. I have used it myself in past and 2 times it forced me to use system restore to roll back the installs as it had broken other things.

But since you have an older PC, its likely a better choice than looking blindly.

Most newer PC motherboards have updaters now, MSI has Live Update 6, Gigabyte has their APp Centre, Asrock has the App store... even AI Suite on Asus might have a similar feature now. So if you ever get a newer PC, check motherboard website as they might have a tool you can use instead of Driver Booster.

Hope it fixes it for you :)

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/KMps.html

File information:073119-14765-01.dmp (Jul 31 2019 - 14:37:29)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 41 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QLEPU/
It appears you have the latest BIOS already installed. Version: 0408.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so many panda drivers :)

I can't say I have seen
Nov 01 2012 ASACPI.sys Asus Advanced Configuration and Power Interface http://www.asus.com/
before, but most boards I look at from Asus are a little newer.
What Asus programs are you running? it might have been loaded by windows

Which GPU do you have?
its not a typical error for a gpu, I would expect it to eventually blame dxgkrnl which is Direct X if it were a GPU driver error.

at least your LAN drivers are up to date now.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I do not have installed Asus programs now. GTX550 Ti I have. Maybe I should install some Asus things for motherboard?
You do have ASUS software installed, you just don't realise it. The ASACPI usually comes with an ASUS motherboard and usually comes part of an ASUS AI Booster or an ASUS Suite. Which when out of date, can cause BSOD.

ProzacR

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
Try downloading and running Autoruns as if you have removed the asus programs in the past, they left the part behind.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

ASACPI.sys is driver you want to stop.

it doesn't stop other programs from running it if its needed, it just stops it at startup. See if it helps.
Thanks, I did that right now. I will say how it goes. Also I checked my motherboard page (https://www.asus.com/lt/Motherboards/P5QLEPU/HelpDesk_Download/) there is nothing to install on windows suggested so I have no idea where that ASACPI.sys came from maybe from 'driver booster'.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thanks, I did that right now. I will say how it goes. Also I checked my motherboard page (https://www.asus.com/lt/Motherboards/P5QLEPU/HelpDesk_Download/) there is nothing to install on windows suggested so I have no idea where that ASACPI.sys came from maybe from 'driver booster'.

It only came from Driver Booster if you had run it before you did the last time, as it was on the PC when PC Tailor scanned it the first time

it is strange there are no files at all on motherboard website dated after 2009 and yet file is from 2012. Its likely a win 8 driver but for what motherboard? Sure looks like it is likely from Driver Booster, if you had used it in the past.

gardenman

Splendid
No problem at all! I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/CKK3.html

File information:081019-10109-01.dmp (Aug 10 2019 - 08:02:25)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: audiodg.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 38 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Only 2 ways to get driver to show its face: driver verifer or just wait.

But I don't want to suggest Driver verifer because it can leave you in a boot loop where the only good answer is a clean install... and on a 10 year old PC which doesn't even have win 8 drivers, and uses the LGA 775 chipset, that can mean having to reinstall win 7 1st and then update it to 10... so I hesitate

I mean, I guess you could use reset to get out of boot loop but its still a maybe.

tbh, its time for a new PC. Old PC are fine but expecting it to keep working on newer operating systems when the hardware makers themselves don't support them, is only going to end in tears. My last PC had a Dual Core E6600 and there was no way I even looked at WIn 8 yet alone Win 10, And that was in the past when I didn't know what drivers did.

ProzacR

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
Only 2 ways to get driver to show its face: driver verifer or just wait.

But I don't want to suggest Driver verifer because it can leave you in a boot loop where the only good answer is a clean install... and on a 10 year old PC which doesn't even have win 8 drivers, and uses the LGA 775 chipset, that can mean having to reinstall win 7 1st and then update it to 10... so I hesitate

I mean, I guess you could use reset to get out of boot loop but its still a maybe.

tbh, its time for a new PC. Old PC are fine but expecting it to keep working on newer operating systems when the hardware makers themselves don't support them, is only going to end in tears. My last PC had a Dual Core E6600 and there was no way I even looked at WIn 8 yet alone Win 10, And that was in the past when I didn't know what drivers did.
Well, it is quite obvious that a new PC will not suffer this kind of problem.
What you think about inserting another sound card into an empty PCI slot? Worth a try?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sure, worth a try although this is based on me guessing its the sound drivers at fault.

audiodg appears to host the audio engine for windows,

The short answer is that audiodg.exe hosts the audio engine for Vista. All the DSP and other audio processing is done in audiodg.exe. There are two reason it runs outside of the windows audio service.

The first is that there's 3rd party code that gets loaded into audiodg.exe. Audio hardware vendors have the ability to install custom DSPs (called Audio Processing Objects or APOs) into the audio pipeline. For a number of reasons (reliability, serviceability, others) we're not allowed to load 3rd party code into svchost processes (svchost.exe is a generic host process for services that's used inside Windows). So we need to move all the code that interacts with these 3rd party APOs outside the audio service (that way if an APO crashes, it won't take out some other critical part of the system with it).

The second reason for using a separate process for the audio engine is DRM. The DRM system in Vista requires that the audio samples be processed in a protected process, and (for a number of technical reasons that are too obscure to go into) it's not possible for a svchost hosted service to run in a protected process.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/larryosterman/2007/01/31/what-is-audiodg-exe/

Audio Device Graph Isolation enables sound driver to run under a separate session as the user profile that is currently logged in

I assume you not using audio through your display? as Nvidia drivers have audio component

ProzacR

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
Currently, I have a sound card integrated on the motherboard attached to 2.1 speakers and some the latest Nvidia audio thing installed.
I think I will try PCI sound card when time allows as I own one already.