Question BSOD while shutting down - - - "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" ?

Jul 4, 2023
Hello. I have trouble like on title. Yesterday, unexpectedly, while shutting down the system in order to turn off the laptop, of course, a blue screen DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE appeared. I had to manually turn off the laptop with the power button because the laptop hung permanently on this blue screen. Next I turned on the laptop again with the same power button to see will anything else would happen. The laptop turned on normally and Windows started up properly, so I shut down Windows again and this time it shut down without any problems and the laptop turned off. This is the first time something like this happened to me on this laptop.

Laptop model: Lenovo ThinkPad W540

CPU: Intel Core I7 4700mq 2.4 GHz, Turbo Boost do 3.4 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K2100m and Intel HD Graphics 4600

RAM: 32 GB DDR3L 1600 MHz Samsung (4x8 GB DDR3L Samsung M471B1G73QH0-YK0)

PSU: Original Lenovo power supply for this laptop

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 (original, not pirated), version 22H2

MB: Lenovo 20BHS00Q00

Below I also add a link to download the memory dump file after this blue screen.

Of course, we open this file in BlueScreenView. In this program, from what I've looked at, the culprit is ntoskrnl.exe+50bc86, but I don't know what it means - is it something with the graphics card, or with the CPU, RAM or something else. I bought a laptop last year. It was already throwing blue screens almost every time I clicked on the performance tab in the task manager, but with a different SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION message.

Then I updated the drivers for the NVIDIA Quadro K2100m graphics card from version 398.36, which was downloaded and installed automatically via Windows Update to version 426.78, which I downloaded from the NVIDIA website and it seemed to help - after updating the drivers for the NVIDIA Quadro graphics card K2100m I could now normally click on the performance tab in task manager and no more SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD.

But now there's this other DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD and I have no idea what's causing this behavior. The last thing I did go to Control Panel, then System and Security, then Power Options, then Change Plan Settings, then Change Advanced Power Settings, then Processor Power Management, then Minimum Processor Status, and on battery power, I set the Minimum Processor Status to 1% . I did this to save power so I could work on the battery longer, but maybe I accidentally caused what happened, i.e. this DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD?

PS: I wasn't overclocking either the graphics card or the processor or other components - all on default clocks and voltages.

Last edited:
The exception is more than likely the changes made to the power plan and processor power management. I would try to go back to original settings to see if this stops. Other causes could be pending driver updates, or needed driver updates.

Jul 4, 2023
The exception is more than likely the changes made to the power plan and processor power management. I would try to go back to original settings to see if this stops. Other causes could be pending driver updates, or needed driver updates.
@Fix_that_Glitch OK, So I will try to go back to original settings if mean about minimum processor status. I hope that it will not repeat no more, of course I mean this BSOD.

Latest posts