BSOD while upgrading Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home

esodreams

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I've been having this issue for about a year now.

Every since I received the initial prompt to update my Windows (this was sometime in August of last year), I made attempt after attempt and still my system will not upgrade.

During the 'installing drivers' portion of the upgrade, it will stop at at an overall percentage of 71% (91% for installing the drivers), then it will go to 75% (100% installing drivers) and crash right after that. BSOD will come up - System exception not handled (no .sys file provided).

I have tried uninstalling my display driver, doing a clean boot, cleaning registry and .tmp files. NOTHING is working. Overall, I can't even get a .dmp file (i enabled to make sure it would produce one) so I can see where the error is at.

I'm using an ISO I made at the time. My antivirus is uninstalled. I also looked at drivers w/ no signature, the only one with Acronis Devices - I disabled to see if this would change anything and it does not. I did note that most of the drivers on tools were from 2006 (default Microsoft drivers), not sure if this makes a difference.

I try to keep up with Microsoft updates, I made sure I had the KB patches needed to upgrade.

Specs:
Windows 7 SP1 64 bit
ASRock 970A-G/3.1 Motherboard
16GB RAM
AMD FX 8320E Vishera 8-core
Sapphire Radeon R7 250 1GB GDDR5
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
1TB HITACHI HDD *contains windows
1TB SEAGATE HDD

The Motherboard and CPU were installed recently, old MB and CPU also did not pass the upgrade when they were still integrated.

Error code I get from Windows Update is C1900101-40017.

Not sure if I should just give up at this point. I'm sure I'm past the window to get a free update, but I'm hoping that because I accepted the terms at the time to update and made an ISO copy, then I can still upgrade. Please help.

*Also, I have a program to help retrieve .dmp files after crash. finds nothing each time.

Be sure to update the BIOS and motherboard drivers before you attempt the update.
I think your wirless card is AR9380 chip drivers should be here:
https://www.atheros-drivers.com/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-65-and-Windows10-32bit.html

you might want to try a clean boot (using msconfig.exe) before you try the update:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

otherwise a clean install ow windows 10 after you update the BIOS should work pretty well.
after the install you would install the motherboard vendors custom drivers for windows 10 from their website.

esodreams

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
@Ironsounds: I haven't tried a USB install, I'll look at that as an option. I appreciate it.

@Johnbl: I updated the bios for my motherboard prior to trying the upgrade. I'll update my TP-LINK with that link you provided. I appreciate it. I did a clean boot w/ msconfig, still the same. I'll try the "clean install". Also, I might need to apply the hotfix for W7 SP1. hopefully all of this helps somehow.

TRENDING THREADS