BSOD Win 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit while playing games

Saksham Prakash

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
hey there,
Im getting the blue screen of death while playing heavy games like Battlefield 4 and Watchdogs on my pc. My windows is updated, drivers updated and every things good. I dont get the error while doing other stuff (except gaming). Please help!
My specs:
intel core i3-530 2.9Ghz
2 x 2 GB RAM
2 GB GPU - Nvidia Geforce GT640

I've just formatted the c drive and downgraded from windows 8.1 pro 64bit to windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1.

link to dumps : link to dumps

i ran the "sfc.exe /scannow" and got this : "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

log : link to log

Solution
A file belonging to directx is crashing, nvlddmkm.sys your video drivers are crashing, ntoskrnl.exe is crashing

ntfs.sys is also crashing with a 0x24 stop error. Which can mean the hdd or files are corrupt. Which can also mean you may have to replace the hdd
A file belonging to directx is crashing, nvlddmkm.sys your video drivers are crashing, ntoskrnl.exe is crashing

ntfs.sys is also crashing with a 0x24 stop error. Which can mean the hdd or files are corrupt. Which can also mean you may have to replace the hdd

Solution

Saksham Prakash

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014

I know my system is kinda old. But I cant upgrade right now. Surprisingly Battlefield 4 used to run pretty smoothly on low-medium settings at 1600 x 900. Both the games were playable.

Saksham Prakash

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014

What should I do?

Let me explain. I was running these games very well on win 7 ultimate x64. But then I decided to install win 8.1 pro x64. I did it by formatting only the c drive. It was then it all began. After a couple of minutes of playing bf4 it used to crash showing "bf4.exe has stopped working". Appcrash and all that shit. The 32bit version wouldn't even start "application could not start correctly error 0xc000007b". The AVG Free 2015 also couldn't start and showed the same error. I googled it and ended up installing visual c++, downgraded my nvidia drivers and installed many other softwares. However the problem persisted. Finally I downgraded back to win 7. The 32bit bf4 still showed the same error. bf4 64bit showed AppCrash after 10-15 mins of gameplay. Running windows memory diagnostic, I came to know there was a problem with the memory. I fiddled with the RAM chips, switched from dual to single mode and finally ended up getting BSODs while playing.

Saksham Prakash

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014

Its silly but i think I've fixed the issue by simply running disk error check (chkdsk or something like that) setting it to automatically make repairs.

One question: is it worth upgrading to windows 8.1 for gaming? Should i upgrade? I dont want history to repeat itself.

Thanks everybody who tried to help me. It was a pleasant experience at Tom's hardware.