BSOD: Win10 crashes when running games

MadViking

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hello to all, nice community you have here!

I was looking for a little help with a Win10 problem I'm having.
When running graphics-intensive apps (games), the system hard crashes and reboots, with no warning or degradation of service prior. It seems to be not universal but easily 95% of times (occasionally the system will function in-game for an hour or two).

I've done the usual steps, wherein I've uninstalled and reinstalled the problem games, as well as running Windows Update (nothing pending) and checking for all device drivers (they look 100% up to date as well). This is an older system, but it has Win 10 now, new RAM, and a graphics card less than 8 months old.

Here's my WhatCrashed dump, it's frustratingly vague:

On Sat 8/6/2016 10:26:37 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\080616-25687-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1473D6)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE001B360B840, 0xFFFFF80141750AF0)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I did some WinDBG parsing as well, and this is the slightly-more rboust findings:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000004, The power transition timed out waiting to synchronize with the Pnp
subsystem.
Arg2: 000000000000012c, Timeout in seconds.
Arg3: ffffe001b360b840, The thread currently holding on to the Pnp lock.
Arg4: fffff80141750af0, nt!TRIAGE_9F_PNP on Win7 and higher

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x9F_4_rtwlanu_IMAGE_usbhub.sys

BUCKET_ID: 0x9F_4_rtwlanu_IMAGE_usbhub.sys

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: 0x9F_4_rtwlanu_IMAGE_usbhub.sys

I don't know what this default USB hub driver even is, and I am getting to the end of my technical know-how. I would be SO appreciative of any thoughts or tips you had to follow this one down the rabbit hole and figure out what is being wonky.

I have DXDIAG and MSINFO available, but not sure how to share it hereabouts.

Thanks!

Solution

I think you can just skip strait to rev2 but if you want to be safe flash rev1 (if...

MadViking

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
The wireless USB card is a Linksys, so I went and updated manually from their site. Still no difference.

I guess I will have to do the BIOS flash. I've been very intimidated by such a step; you could really brick your computer.

garretsw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Here are a couple of things

1. Use memtest to test your memory
2. Flash bios
3. disable any powers states and power saving options in bios and see if that fixes your issue (EX. APM or Advanced power managment)

linksys just used the realtek chip in their product. if you provide the model of the linksys device I can look up the chipset it uses.
or you can google the linksys model + the word chipset and try to figure out what chip is being used then go to the realtek site and download the driver for that chip set name. (kind of a pain)

the error can be in the BIOS, the USB hub and drivers, or the actual USB device or another usb device connected at the same time.
for most machine since about 2011 the BIOS updates are pretty easy and pain free. The main thing people do, is update the drivers without realizing that the BIOS has to also be updated at the same time.

you could also just turn off all power management functions in BIOS and in windows control panel. This will make sure your device will not sleep and you will not hit the problem of it refusing to wake up. Not the best solution but it is a workaround the problem.

also, check the BIOS some have a setting that turns off the usb hubs and ports when the system goes idle. you can disable this feature but you have to find it. The first time I saw this feature in BIOS it was called EUR (European union regulation)
It had me scratching my head until I looked it up and was used cut power to the USB ports to save power during idle time as mandated by regulations.

MadViking

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
I will have to get the BIOS done, then. My problem has nothing to do with system idle however. The system is 100% up and active. I load a game and the BSOD immediately occurs. I can look for power management options, but I doubt this has to do with things as there is no transition that is linked to the problem.

My motherboard has a "rev1" and a "rev2" available from the manufacturer. Now I have to flip a coin to see which I should use. The board itself has no indication that one is a better fit. Is it safe to assume that rev2 is just the more recent revision number and I can bypass rev1? I am not up on how BIOS folk number their versions.

garretsw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

I think you can just skip strait to rev2 but if you want to be safe flash rev1 (if that fixes it do nothing, if not then go to rev 2 from rev 1). I am no expert on the procedure of bios flashing so I recommend you do as much research as possible on the procedure for you specific motherboard. Good luck!

Solution