[SOLVED] BSOD - Windows 10 [memory_management]

Sep 14, 2020
Hi,

So from last week my PC is acting weird, while gaming I get blue screen of death and it usually comes after like 5 minutes after starting up the PC and running a game.

[PC Specs]
Windows 10
Mother Board: Gigabyte z170xp-sli
CPU: Intel core i3 6th gen (6100)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart550w
RAM: Ripjaws 8gb DDR4 (f4-2133c15d)
GPU: ATI Radeon R9 380 (4gb)
Hard Drive: Samsung SSD

The error code says: memory_management

At first I thought CPU is overheating, so I removed the CPU cleaned it and used fresh thermal paste and installed it back, it worked for a day of continues gaming with the issue but this morning I started the game and even on loading screen I got the BSOD [memory_management] again.

What could be the issue? Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
A failure over time is usually because of thermal problems.
Once a cpu chip is inserted into the motherboard socket, there is no reason to ever remove it.
In fact, removing a processor from the socket exposes you to the danger of bending one of the socket pins which are delicate. A bent pin will cause unpredictable results, but not likely thermal issues.

One easy functional test is to
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Another possibility is a failing power supply.
Gaming draws extra power for the graphics card, and your psu is not of great...
Sep 14, 2020
Please see this quick guide on info to include in a BSOD post but most important how to setup minidump files for us to download: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/
Hi, thanks for guiding me. I followed the option 1 i.e. going to control panel and following all the config steps but after getting the BSOD again the minidump was not updated, last modified date of the minidump file is 10 Aug 2020.

I downloaded the .reg file for small dump and ran it as guided in the link but still the file is not update and the last dump date is 10 Aug 2020.

Is there any other way we can debug this?

Last edited:
A failure over time is usually because of thermal problems.
Once a cpu chip is inserted into the motherboard socket, there is no reason to ever remove it.
In fact, removing a processor from the socket exposes you to the danger of bending one of the socket pins which are delicate. A bent pin will cause unpredictable results, but not likely thermal issues.

One easy functional test is to
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Another possibility is a failing power supply.
Gaming draws extra power for the graphics card, and your psu is not of great quality.
Possibly, your psu has deteriorated.
A rx380 is a relatively power hungry card that wants 550w:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
See if you can't test with a known good psu.

I might imagine that you are referring to the stock intel pushpin cpu cooler.
A mismounted cpu cooler can indeed cause thermal issues.
Run hwmonitor. It will record the current, minimum and maximum temperatures.
The minimum should be 10-15c. over ambient.
If it is significantly higher, your cooler is not mounted well.
Nudge the cooler with power off. It should not wiggle.
Look at the back of the motherboard and verify that all 4 pushpins are through the motherboard and locked.
If you need to remount the cooler, here is my stock text on that:
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution
Sep 14, 2020
After getting BSOD a couple of times my computer is now getting stuck at Windows loading screen saying "Please wait". Luckily I had it dual boot with ubuntu on the other side so boot into the ubuntu and kept using my PC for an hour or so with no issues what so ever.

Now the issue is windows 10 please wait screen getting stuck any idea how can I boot into it successfully?

Sep 14, 2020
I think the issue is resolved, I have replaced Intel Stock heat sink with a better gaming heat sink. Beside the intel stock heat sink had 2 of its locks broken and it was a little losen, that was causing the CPU heat up. Applied new thermal paste with new heat sink and I played BeamNg drive for hours without any issues.

Thanks guys