BSOD Windows 10

thestandard71369

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
So I've been having an odd problem for the last 2 years. When it started I had just put this PC together. Games would crash randomly. I would be playing fine and then bam I'm back at the desktop. It was very rare though and I don't game very much so I never put in real effort into figuring out what the heck was happening. Eventually I started getting BSODs instead of just getting dumped onto the desktop. So i ran memtest and started checking my drivers but nothing really helped. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 and it all started getting worse. I wasn't just happening when I was gaming it was just random. I ran Prime95 for about 4 hours with no issues but it would BSOD when I would close firefox or wake up the monitor or whatever other random thing. So I decided to do a clean install and see if that would help. The install was a nightmare. The first attempt the install finished and windows booted up but it was giving me an error saying there were missing or corrupted files when I tried to run windows update. So I ran the file checker and it said it could not be repaired so I attempted to reinstall and got an error during installation that there were missing or corrupted files. I figured out that my ISO was corrupted and downloaded another one with the same issue. So I managed another ISO and wouldn't you know it, it worked. So This install is fresh as of about 26 hours ago. It has been running for about 12 of those hours and I've already had 4 BSODs. The sad thing is that's an improvement. So I'm turning to you oh wise ones of the internet. What else should I do before I just start replacing hardware?

Specs
Windows 10 Pro 64
MoBo: Gigabyt 970a-ds3p
CPU: AMD FX 6350
RAM 1X 4gb DDR3 Patriot Viper Xtreme 1600
GPU: GeForce 9800 GT

This is the most recent dump file from the bug check.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=174A512C0AD8FBA!330&authkey=!ALgEbbIVbUJZ8f0&ithint=file%2cDMP

Moderation of content within post
Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Courtesy of the Moderation Team:
Question:
"So I'm turning to you oh wise ones of the internet. What else should I do before I just start replacing hardware?"

Answer:
"Buy a legal OS. Start from there."

If you were to go back to your previous installation whereby the bootable USB installer was created using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool (via the net) then we could consider assisting you but with the advent of you using a pirated copy of Windows 10 would be unlawful and in breach of the ToU here on Tom'sHardware. To add you can also have other malware laced into your ISO off where you got it from irrespective of how few a BSOD you are seeing currently.

Lets move on with a clean installation of your previous "official" installer and the corresponding .dmp files uploaded once seeing the BSOD's. Mind you, what was your OS prior to Windows 10 since you mentioned going for a clean install and you had been experiencing such BSOD's with?

Please include your PSU and storage devices within your system specs.

overall, I think BIOS update will fix the issue. you could also just reset the BIOS to defaults, this will make the BIOS rescan the hardware and re assign the hardware interrupts and DMA channels. The bios makes a database and hands it to windows hardware abstraction layer. Windows uses this info to configure the DMA channels used by the graphics, network cards, and sound cards. NOTE: the driver for the onboard sound card is the most likely cause of your problem. You will want to update it even if you don't have the speakers connected to the sound output.
-------
your bugcheck was in some hardware abstraction layer routines involving DMA trasfers.
I would update the BIOS from the f1 version to the f2j version for your motherboard.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#bios

then pick up the 3 windows 10 updated driver for audio driver, the LAN driver and USB 3.0 driver
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#driver
Realtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
you can also look here for the current version:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

you also have a wireless driver
Realtek RTL8192SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter Driver
(pretty old device, any USB bugs can mess it up)

machine info:
BIOS Version F1
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 04/08/2013
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product 970A-DS3P
Version x.x
Processor Manufacturer AMD
Processor ID 200f6000fffb8b17
Processor Version AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8eh - 1.4V
External Clock 200MHz
Max Speed 3900MHz
Current Speed 3900MHz

thestandard71369

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Sorry. I have 2 older Seagate 500 gb hard drives one is 7200 the other is 5000 rpms. My psu is a 500 watt from Stablepower. I upgraded from Windows 7 ultimate.

I tried to install windows on the second hard drive and got an endless reboot cycle with the 0xc000021a error code. After that I decided to run memtest again and this time it came up with errors in the first few minutes. Starting with test 3. I restarted it and had the same results. Then this morning I switched dims and tried it again with the same results. I have no idea why it didn't catch any errors when I ran it in the past but either way I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that my ram is bad. I ordered some new ram and it will be here Tuesday. I'll try all this again then. Thanks for the input!

thestandard71369

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Looks like the RAM was the problem. I ran memtest with the new RAM with no errors. Installed Windows 10 with an iso from Microsoft with no issues. Had no problems updating drivers or installing windows updates. It's been running for almost 24 hours straight with no blue screens. I still have no idea why memtest didn't show any errors any of the other times I ran it. Would have been nice if it had shown something 2 years ago. Lol.