BSOD Windows 7 - Error: 124 caused by hal.dll

Krilia

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
I have been experiencing BSOD's for a long time now and its becoming ever more frequent. I continue to receive BSOD's on my Windows 7 machine. Upon looking at the dump files (which most of which makes no sense to me)

I receive a bug check code of:
Code:
0x00000124
The error I get is:
Code:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE
caused by:
Code:
hal.dll
caused by address:
Code:
hal.dll+12a3b
I have included a few of the dump files for further examination.

What I have done so far:
- Verified no overclocks and even cleared CMOS on the motherboard
- Monitored component temperatures, everything looks good.
- Re-seated heat sink on processor.

The errors only really come to me while gaming or watching streams on twitch. Some times I can get aways with games, however Twitch is always a guaranteed BSOD. Sometimes I will get crashes if I am watching a video on my second monitor while gaming on my primary.

If I am losing a hardware component I can live with it I just don't want to spend money on something that could potentially be an easy fix.

Hardware:
AMD Phenom II X4 970
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Asus M4A87TD EVO
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Seagate Barracuda HD

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
so your bugchecks were called by the CPU detecting error in its internal cache memory.

To FIX:
I would be looking for a voltage regulator that is not keeping the voltage to the CPU at the correct value.
(could be the power supply, could be a voltage regulator on the motherboard)
Could be incorrect voltage/clock setting in a BIOS setting for the CPU
Could be a actual physical failure in the cache memory of the CPU. Always the same processor/bank.
if it is a physical defect you might be able to turn off the core.

All that said, your function of the cpu depends on the firmware (BIOS)
the firmware will have fixes for known bugs in the CPU, (you are one version behind on the BIOS updates)
the motherboard manufacture will have...
so your bugchecks were called by the CPU detecting error in its internal cache memory.

To FIX:
I would be looking for a voltage regulator that is not keeping the voltage to the CPU at the correct value.
(could be the power supply, could be a voltage regulator on the motherboard)
Could be incorrect voltage/clock setting in a BIOS setting for the CPU
Could be a actual physical failure in the cache memory of the CPU. Always the same processor/bank.
if it is a physical defect you might be able to turn off the core.

All that said, your function of the cpu depends on the firmware (BIOS)
the firmware will have fixes for known bugs in the CPU, (you are one version behind on the BIOS updates)
the motherboard manufacture will have chipset updates that fix bugs in the electronics of the motherboard
you want to make sure you install them. then finally, AMD will make chipset driers for your cpu that will have
fixes that they have for windows for your cpu when windows is loaded. (you should get these from asus or AMD)

now as to your windows you have 1 driver you should look at and update or remove it
it is too old \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ASACPI.sys Sun Mar 27 19:30:36 2005

also you should update your ethernet driver
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Rt64win7.sys Sun May 30 20:46:43 2010 (old version, various issues)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

note: sometimes you can underclock your cpu and the memory error might not occur
============
your cpu's cache memory controller is reporting errors in the cache memory on processor 0 memory bank 0
(all three bugchecks were from the same bank, 2 were general errors in cache and one was a read error)

machine info:

ASACPI \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ASACPI.sys Sun Mar 27 19:30:36 2005 (42476C4C)
(very old, I would remove or/ and find a update)

old network driver
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Rt64win7.sys Sun May 30 20:46:43 2010

BIOS Release Date 02/17/2011
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product M4A87TD/USB3
Processor ID 430f1000fffb8b17
Processor Version AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 970 Processor
Processor Voltage 8fh - 1.5V
External Clock 200MHz
Max Speed 3500MHz
Current Speed 3500MHz

Solution