BSOD with error "IRQL Not less or Equal"

Animesh Gupta

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Yo guys, i am getting a problem with my computer. Bsod with the error irql not less or equal. already tried uninstalling recently installed programs and tried re installing graphics card driver but BSOD in the middle of installing it. My system specs are
gtx 660 synergy edition
amd phenom II x1100t
8gb ram
please help
ps. the graphic card is new, system is windows 8 64 bit and beside the irql error it says "aswnet.sys"

Solution
bugcheck is in your antivirus firewall driver.

I would disable the firewall driver so you can boot, then update your network driver, update you antivirus software and reboot.

wildfire707

Distinguished
That is normally a driver issue. If you added new hardware or installed a driver recently, that is likely your problem.

Knowing which operating system you are running would help as well.

We know that it is Windows, because of the blue screen message, but which one?

Animesh Gupta

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

system is windows 8 64 bit

there is a manual long way to rectify the error.....so the easier way of rectifying the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error in Windows 8 is by downloading and installing a powerful application named SlimCleaner. This application automatically detects the problematic software applications or device drivers. Using SlimCleaner is fairly straightforward, and the free version has a host of tools that will help you catch issues you might be having at the software level.

Animesh Gupta

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

will try as suggested, but i am pretty sure that it will BSOD in the middle of SlimCleaner installation

Animesh Gupta

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

please elaborate... didn't understand a word

wildfire707

Distinguished
I believe that a clearer answer would be this:

The aswnet.sys file is part of the Avast Antivirus software package. You can try uninstalling Avast and reboot. Then download, install, and run SlimCleaner Free edition. Restart the computer again and then download and install a fresh copy of Avast (if that is what you are using). After that, reboot again and hopefully everything will be good.

The SlimCleaner step will just clean up the computer, it probably isn't necessary. It should help clean out any junk on the system, though.

Sorry that I missed that file reference in my original response.

without looking at the actual memory .dmp file it is hard to tell but your anti virus software firewall driver caused the error.
you can remove the antivirus software but the reason for the bluescreen in the software will often be bad network drivers for your ethernet card. so, update ethernet driver for your machine also.
I don't know anything about slimcleaner and would not run it without a real reason.