thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I've just assembled a new build to accomodate the hard drive from an office computer, hoping to replace the sluggish Dell office PC with this one that I've just put together. The parts I used for this build are out of my other PC, the motherboard is an ASROCK M3A785GXH/128M, the CPU is a Phenom II X4 955, with 4 x 2GB of 1333Mhz RAM. The hard drive out of the office Dell that I am using is a standard 7200RPM HDD with around 33GB of occupied space, and a total capacity of 60GB excluding the OS.

When I finally bundled everything into once piece and fired it up, everything went smoothly until the Windows XP Professional loading screen, which cut off and gave me BSOD after about 5 seconds of loading. The BSOD didn't give me anything specific except for the stop message, as shown:

0x0000007e (0xC0000005, 0xBA4CB42C, 0xBA4CB128)

The system booted up to the user screen when I went with safe mode, but it wouldn't respond to any keyboard or mouse inputs, so I couldn't really go anywhere with that. I've tried booting the system with just 1 stick of the 2GB 1333Mhz RAM, and I've rotated that 1 stick out with the other 3, all gave me BSOD.

Does anyone have any ideas of clues on how I could fix this?

I would attempt a Repair Install first.

If your storage controller is operating in AHCI mode you will need a diskette with the appropriate AHCI driver on it so that you can provide it by pressing function key F6 during boot from the XP installation CD.

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Yes I am booting from the existing OS installation, but it sounds like I need to reinstall?

Also, I have got an SSD here that I'm planning to move the OS onto, should I just do a fresh install straight onto the SSD?

When installing Windows XP to an SSD make sure that the NTFS system partition is aligned to the SSD's geometry otherwise you'll run into stuttering/performance problems. A partition misalignment can cause up to a 50% degradation in the SSD's performance.

Another drawback of Windows XP with SSD's is that it doesn't support TRIM.