Question BSOD

Sep 12, 2021
Hey, I get around 1 bsod every week, today I turned my pc on and this was the bsod:

On Sun 19/09/2021 20:50:28 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\091921-8484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F71C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x6001, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000010, 0x281A6730000, 0xFFFFB90D71C75A50)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 19/09/2021 20:50:28 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x63A44)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x6001, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000010, 0x281A6730000, 0xFFFFB90D71C75A50)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Any help would be great, specs: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mkq7t8

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Sep 12, 2021
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amz0LZlRV8UbhySfCOf9S4MWl5DV?e=cSHuIj

All the BSOD's I have encountered, also I used to get loads of BSOD's around 2 months ago (I built this at the end of june, first pc btw) and I thought it was ram as whenever I would enable xmp I'd get blue screens, one day I manually enabled it at 1.38v and 3600mhz , didnt touch timings and pc wouldn't boot plus dram debug led was lighting up, I resetted cmos, refunded those sticks and got the same ones, it was working fine until last week, anyways I really want to fix this issue, thanks alot

Sep 12, 2021
okay will do, I have updated the bios in the past before because of this same issue as well as reinstalling windows, I'll wait for your response, thank you so much

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, the minidump (if that is what the link is to) isn't available. I get the following error:

This item might not exist or is no longer available

This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It wouldn't be helping

Inpout.sys - We aren't sure what that driver does but I seen it on enough systems to know it should be safe

AS for Vanguard itself, I wish it wasn't needed to play Valorant as I see it s malware. It has more access to your system than you do.

If you aren't playing valorant at the moment I would uninstall it and see if you keep getting BSOD. I have seen it cause them before

I wouldn't put up with Vanguard telling me what programs I can have on my PC. I don't care if it thinks its a cheat program or whatever, 3rd party programs shouldn't tell you what to do.

Sep 12, 2021
It wouldn't be helping

Inpout.sys - We aren't sure what that driver does but I seen it on enough systems to know it should be safe

AS for Vanguard itself, I wish it wasn't needed to play Valorant as I see it s malware. It has more access to your system than you do.

If you aren't playing valorant at the moment I would uninstall it and see if you keep getting BSOD. I have seen it cause them before

I wouldn't put up with Vanguard telling me what programs I can have on my PC. I don't care if it thinks its a cheat program or whatever, 3rd party programs shouldn't tell you what to do.
Alright thanks, I'll delete valorant too

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/zvfre8wm/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:091921-8484-01.dmp (Sep 19 2021 - 15:50:28)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

File information:091321-6968-01.dmp (Sep 13 2021 - 13:45:12)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (154)
Probably caused by:hardware_disk (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:091321-6281-01.dmp (Sep 13 2021 - 13:47:53)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: services.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:091221-6968-01.dmp (Sep 12 2021 - 10:42:38)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: services.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

File information:081021-6281-01.dmp (Aug 10 2021 - 15:19:00)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)
Comment: hardware_disk was mentioned in one crash dump.

Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-a-gaming-model/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version 2407. The latest is 2423. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Sep 12, 2021
Okay, I'll update bios, thank you, I'm going to wait for Colif to reply, also I deleted valorant as well as vanguard, how do I install the driver that vanguard prevented?

As it says memory corruption, does that mean bad ram?
I just replaced the old ones

Colif

Win 11 Master
i see memory corruption a lot, it doesn't necessarily point at ram

What are specs of the PC?
the dumps show me some things like
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MB - ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING
Memory - 16gb Crucial BL8G36C16U4WL.M8FE1

but not everything else?
have reason to believe we need to look at storage drives.

I can't tell with all but 2 of them had operations on page file

Sep 12, 2021
i see memory corruption a lot, it doesn't necessarily point at ram

What are specs of the PC?
the dumps show me some things like
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MB - ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING
Memory - 16gb Crucial BL8G36C16U4WL.M8FE1

but not everything else?
have reason to believe we need to look at storage drives.

I can't tell with all but 2 of them had operations on page file
I linked a pcpp list containing the full specs, I have an A2000 1TB as my only storage device and the msi a750gf psu, full specs are in the list, thanks alot again <3

Sep 12, 2021
That's alright, while turning my pc on for this, I got another BSOD which had the code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, honestly at this point I am stressed out alot because of these, this is only my first pc, I installed this one:

CrystalDiskInfo 8.12.7 Standard Edition

Colif

Win 11 Master
problem with critical process died BSOD is they can only be caused by windows files crashing. There are a number of files that if they crash, windows has no choice but to follow. Problem is its not specific, it can be files related to booting or logon or your user,

plesae give us a new dump each time you crash unless you aren't getting any. If you don't get one, it could be another clue its the nvme, since its where the files would be created.

Sep 12, 2021
Okay thank you, I'll send another google drive link tomorrow as it's 11:30pm right now containing the new dump file, so far, what do you personally think is causing this issue?
Again, thank you so much for helping me

Colif

Win 11 Master
before you showed me picture I was thinking it might be ssd

Do this tomorrow since its late there

some of the errors appeared to be page file. we can move the page file and see if recreating it will help
go to settings/system/about
click on Advanced system settings
Under Performance, click Settings
choose the advanced tab
Under Virtual memory, click change
now in the next screen, untick Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
and choose No paging file and click Set button and then OK

6XTyKiL.jpg

restart PC and then go through all those steps again and retick Automatically manage paging file size for all drives to let windows manage it and click OK again. Might want a restart.
that moves it to another part of ssd.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

Those 2 commands just checking windows itself.
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Sep 12, 2021
before you showed me picture I was thinking it might be ssd

Do this tomorrow since its late there

some of the errors appeared to be page file. we can move the page file and see if recreating it will help
go to settings/system/about
click on Advanced system settings
Under Performance, click Settings
choose the advanced tab
Under Virtual memory, click change
now in the next screen, untick Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
and choose No paging file and click Set button and then OK

6XTyKiL.jpg

restart PC and then go through all those steps again and retick Automatically manage paging file size for all drives to let windows manage it and click OK again. Might want a restart.
that moves it to another part of ssd.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

Those 2 commands just checking windows itself.
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC
I did the whole advanced bit thing, that worked fine, when I tried to do sfc/scannow this happened, also before selecting 'automatically manage paging file size for all drives' this came up (showed ss, 2nd ss btw) I clicked yes and carried on, restarted twice, only issue is the sfc scannow bit, View: https://imgur.com/a/VXbEZN7