Question BSOD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 12, 2021
Hey, I get around 1 bsod every week, today I turned my pc on and this was the bsod:

On Sun 19/09/2021 20:50:28 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\091921-8484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F71C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x6001, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000010, 0x281A6730000, 0xFFFFB90D71C75A50)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 19/09/2021 20:50:28 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x63A44)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x6001, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000010, 0x281A6730000, 0xFFFFB90D71C75A50)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Any help would be great, specs: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mkq7t8

Thanks

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/qegnbw78/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:092121-6921-01.dmp (Sep 21 2021 - 17:09:24)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: services.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I did the whole advanced bit thing, that worked fine, when I tried to do sfc/scannow this happened, also before selecting 'automatically manage paging file size for all drives' this came up (showed ss, 2nd ss btw) I clicked yes and carried on, restarted twice, only issue is the sfc scannow bit, View: https://imgur.com/a/VXbEZN7

put a space between SFC /scannow and it will work

as for other warning, that doesn't really matter as you remaking it right away on startup. Thats more to try to stop people not having one at all. Some people think its a waste of storage space but if they run out of ram and have no page file, they will run out of memory completely.

Sep 12, 2021
put a space between SFC /scannow and it will work

as for other warning, that doesn't really matter as you remaking it right away on startup. Thats more to try to stop people not having one at all. Some people think its a waste of storage space but if they run out of ram and have no page file, they will run out of memory completely.
Alright thanks, I'll do the SFC /scannow bit today after school, again, I honestly cannot thank you enough for putting your time into this so much, thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry, I had to help family last few days

one day I manually enabled it at 1.38v and 3600mhz , didnt touch timings and pc wouldn't boot plus dram debug led was lighting up, I resetted cmos, refunded those sticks and got the same ones, it was working fine until last week, anyways I really want to fix this issue, thanks alot

So what ram setting is new ram in? Have you set it in XMP? Tried without XMP?

So it doesn't seem to be Windows and Storage seems okay, the 2 areas I have solved those with before. Please keep giving us dump files, one might give me a clue.

Sep 12, 2021
Sorry, I had to help family last few days

So what ram setting is new ram in? Have you set it in XMP? Tried without XMP?

So it doesn't seem to be Windows and Storage seems okay, the 2 areas I have solved those with before. Please keep giving us dump files, one might give me a clue.
Just got another BSOD today, View: http://imgur.com/a/I1VztHL
haven't even installed windows 11 yet though, neither do I plan to install the beta considering all the issues I am encountering right now :(, sending the dump file in a few minutes too

gardenman

Splendid
The chkdsk error message is normal. That's because you have many programs running while Windows is running that are accessing the disk. Therefore it wants you to reboot. It will run chkdsk on startup, before Windows loads, when there is nothing else running.

Try it again, Say "Y"es when asked, then reboot.

After you get back into Windows, you may need to use Event Viewer to see the results. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-chkdsk-results-in-event-viewer-logs

Sep 12, 2021
WhoCrashed says this:

On Sun 10/10/2021 15:29:08 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!NtTerminateProcess+0x14)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFF9B8701D0A080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .
Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

When I searched up ntdll.sys a microsoft forum came up related to the drive, I seriously just want to end this, anyways heres the link to the forum, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...skrnlexe/1553d8e5-e2e3-4a34-b5f8-11f65bc9782b

gardenman

Splendid
Just a few ideas/comments:

Colif previously suggested that you run memtest. Did you ever do this? I don't see the results posted anywhere.

Do you still have Vanguard installed? It is known to cause issues. (I didn't see it listed in this dump file).

I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/motrfysc/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:101021-6656-01.dmp (Oct 10 2021 - 10:29:08)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: https://www.google.com/search?q=)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 20 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

Comment: There was a huge amount of errors in dump file. Probably partially corrupt.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

gardenman

Splendid
You can run memtest from a disc if needed. It takes hours.

You can also run the Windows Memory Diagnostic test. It's not nearly as thorough as memtest. It should take about 20 minutes or less. Run it. I believe it will be scheduled to run at startup, it's been a while since I ran it. It runs before Windows loads. If it gives an error, at least we know we have a RAM issue. If it does not, we can't be sure.

Sep 12, 2021
Haven't gotten any BSOD's yet although I just wanted to point out, not sure if it makes any difference, that all the BSOD's I have gotten, have been upon turning the pc on and none (literally zero) have been mid-use.