Question BSOD

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
i keep getting BSOD “Critical Process Died” after switching from a RX 6700 XT to a RTX 3070 Ti FE, it only happens when i open a game or try playing a game, sometimes it just turns black and restarts, ive tried uninstalling the drivers and it cant be the GPU because i had another 3070 Ti, it was doing the same thing.
Specs: RYZEN 7 3700X
32GB Corsair (8x4)
RTX 3070 Ti FE
Gigabyte X570 Elite wifi
2 1 TB SSDs
NZXT C750 80+ Gold 750W
IMG_2341.jpg

Everything in your system specs looks to be from good to perfect, so, for a persistent BSOD, I would suspect on some electrical issue that may be caused by a faulty connection. Check the PSU connection from the AC power cord to the 24 pin connector and the PCIe GPU power feed. Check those connections are well seated. If nothing faulty connections are found, try updating the GPU Nvidia driver to the most recent version, released just yesterday. After you install this driver, restart the computer and check that the video card is using it… If necessary see in the Device Manager RTX 3070 right click > Properties > Driver tab... check the driver date.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_7_3700X/GeForce_RTX_3070/0Ud1758A/32/100/
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Everything in your system specs looks to be from good to perfect, so, for a persistent BSOD, I would suspect on some electrical issue that may be caused by a faulty connection. Check the PSU connection from the AC power cord to the 24 pin connector and the PCIe GPU power feed. Check those connections are well seated. If nothing faulty connections are found, try updating the GPU Nvidia driver to the most recent version, released just yesterday. After you install this driver, restart the computer and check that the video card is using it… If necessary see in the Device Manager RTX 3070 right click > Properties > Driver tab... check the driver date.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_7_3700X/GeForce_RTX_3070/0Ud1758A/32/100/
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187098/en-us
Alright ill let you know afterschool, note the 3070 was already on the latest driver and still blue screened.

Alright ill let you know afterschool, note the 3070 was already on the latest driver and still blue screened.
Yes, an electrical issue will cause both hardware and software issues... and no matter what you do software wise, it will keep causing them.
I'm not assuring it's a power issue, but for a system that from the specs looks so perfect and fully updated, I can't think of anything else.

See if the Microsoft Support Blue Screen Error Troubleshooter helps.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Yes, an electrical issue will cause both hardware and software issues... and no matter what you do software wise, it will keep causing them.
I'm not assuring it's a power issue, but for a system that from the specs looks so perfect and fully updated, I can't think of anything else.

See if the Microsoft Support Blue Screen Error Troubleshooter helps.
I removed a extra VGA PSU cable and I didnt get anymore BSODs..

That's a better possibility... that's if what caused the bend, pulled on the 24 pin connector, loosening it even slightly.
I have noticed through the years that even the slightest looseness in PSU connections may cause issues that may or not get to cause power interruptions, but lowered voltage and amps that can evidently can cause system reactions.
Microsoft Info on the BSOD error codes is vague and useless, they can point to undefined or non-existent hardware changes. So even MS is still in the dark when it comes to power caused issues.

Last edited:

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
That's a better possibility... that's if what caused the bend, pulled on the 24 pin connector, loosening it even slightly.
I have noticed through the years that even the slightest looseness in PSU connections may cause issues that may or not get to cause power interruptions, but lowered voltage and amps that can evidently can cause system reactions.
Microsoft Info on the BSOD error codes is vague and useless, they can point to undefined or non-existent hardware changes. So even MS is still in the dark when it comes to power caused issues.
Ah okay, thank you for the help!

Reactions: Chicano

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Welp, here we are again, everytime i load a game, every app freezes for like 5 seconds then goes back to normal, im getting huge frame drops for like 3 seconds, and apps dont close after shutting down windows 10...

Welp, here we are again, everytime i load a game, every app freezes for like 5 seconds then goes back to normal, im getting huge frame drops for like 3 seconds, and apps don't close after shutting down windows 10...

It's acting like when Windows runs out of memory... you're not getting low memory warnings, are you?...
  1. Shut down the computer and check the RAM Modules are well seated. Also check the Video Card is well seated.
  2. Check the power cables are well seated on the PSU and motherboard, Video Card and Drives.
  3. Check the Paging File size is System Managed (Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Settings > Select Advanced tab > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change > Select System Managed size and Automatically Manage Paging File) or simply follow the Images to get to the Virtual Memory Settings.. and read the linked Suggestions on how to manage the Virtual Memory or Paging File... which should be left to the System to manage automatically.
Virtual Memory - Settings and Suggestions

If still having the problem:
  1. See in the Event Viewer found in Computer Management (Start Menu > Computer > Right click and select Manage > Click Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Read Error and Warning Logs that coincide with the time of the freezes...
  2. Read the Memory Dump File, use Blue Screen View to read if the Memory Dump file reported anything on the freezes.
BlueScreenView

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
It's acting like when Windows runs out of memory... you're not getting low memory warnings, are you?...
  1. Shut down the computer and check the RAM Modules are well seated. Also check the Video Card is well seated.
  2. Check the power cables are well seated on the PSU and motherboard, Video Card and Drives.
  3. Check the Paging File size is System Managed (Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Settings > Select Advanced tab > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change > Select System Managed size and Automatically Manage Paging File) or simply follow the Images to get to the Virtual Memory Settings.. and read the linked Suggestions on how to manage the Virtual Memory or Paging File... which should be left to the System to manage automatically.
Virtual Memory - Settings and Suggestions

If still having the problem:
  1. See in the Event Viewer found in Computer Management (Start Menu > Computer > Right click and select Manage > Click Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Read Error and Warning Logs that coincide with the time of the freezes...
  2. Read the Memory Dump File, use Blue Screen View to read if the Memory Dump file reported anything on the freezes.
BlueScreenView
I am not getting low memory warnings..
Rechecked the cables, everything seems to be fine.
The paging file was already set automatically manage paging files.

Just started a game, nothing has froze yet...
unknown.png

If it freezes again, check this, and consider applying the supposed fix for this specific PerfNet error which may be the one doing it all.

Center of the image, Event ID 2004, and Source is PerfNet.dll… It displays 2 Events in the Last hour, 788 in the last 24 hours and 2099 in the last 7 days, so it definitely is causing errors that need to be addressed. PerfNet.dll is a Windows Network Service Performance Objects DLL that may be corrupted, infected or missing and may have to be replaced if the suggested fix doesn’t solve the problem. Follow the repair instructions

Perfnet.dll DLL Errors

Follow the How to Fix perfnet.dll Errors in 3 Steps, and see if the PerfNet dll file stops registering error events… if it continues, downloading and replacing PerfNet.dll is suggested or running the recommended application which is suspicious and potentially unwanted so ignore it’s download link and instead download another PC Cleaner Tool… The best rated is the Microsoft Total PC Cleaner and you download it from Microsoft, so it should be safe. So, download #7) Microsoft Total PC Cleaner, and to Tune gaming performance you may want to try #10) Razer Cortex

10 Best PC Cleaner Tools For Windows

Is Razer Cortex Completely Safe to use?

A System Cleaner is recommended to remove all the clutter that’s supposed to make PerfNet.dll have trouble. If these solutions fail, then you may have to replace the Perfnet.dll… the question is how to replace directly replace it, but you can leave it to the built-in System File Checker (sfc /scannow) you will need a Windows installation media for SFC to get the replacement file from. Some installations save a copy of the installation files within the Windows OS or on a separate partition and SFC should find its location… if it doesn’t, you will need to provide the Windows installer from a DVD or USB

SFC – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
If it freezes again, check this, and consider applying the supposed fix for this specific PerfNet error which may be the one doing it all.

Center of the image, Event ID 2004, and Source is PerfNet.dll… It displays 2 Events in the Last hour, 788 in the last 24 hours and 2099 in the last 7 days, so it definitely is causing errors that need to be addressed. PerfNet.dll is a Windows Network Service Performance Objects DLL that may be corrupted, infected or missing and may have to be replaced if the suggested fix doesn’t solve the problem. Follow the repair instructions

Perfnet.dll DLL Errors

Follow the How to Fix perfnet.dll Errors in 3 Steps, and see if the PerfNet dll file stops registering error events… if it continues, downloading and replacing PerfNet.dll is suggested or running the recommended application which is suspicious and potentially unwanted so ignore it’s download link and instead download another PC Cleaner Tool… The best rated is the Microsoft Total PC Cleaner and you download it from Microsoft, so it should be safe. So, download #7) Microsoft Total PC Cleaner, and to Tune gaming performance you may want to try #10) Razer Cortex

A System Cleaner is recommended to remove all the clutter that’s supposed to make PerfNet.dll have trouble. If these solutions fail, then you may have to replace the Perfnet.dll… the question is how to replace directly replace it, but you can leave it to the built-in System File Checker (sfc /scannow) you will need a Windows installation media for SFC to get the replacement file from. Some installations save a copy of the installation files within the Windows OS or on a separate partition and SFC should find its location… if it doesn’t, you will need to provide the Windows installer from a DVD or USB

Alright, I did it, ill let you know if something goes wrong.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021

Perfnet.dll DLL Errors

unknown.png

It’s now PerfLib and PerfProc which are related to applications running on your System.. They are Windows processes that installed conflicting applications use, so check the possible solution for both. PerfNet is no longer causing errors and since it’s a network related process, I suppose the game that caused the freezes is online?… but whatever the answer it’s now working flawlessly. The question now is; Are PerfProc and PerfLib causing similar issues?

PerfProc.dll
PerfLib.dll

The remaining Events are just informative reports that shouldn’t be a cause for worry or affect system performance.

By the number of registered Events, though they are now less than yesterday, and most are informative, for those that remain and newly created, your system needs a thorough cleanup in the form of conflicting software removal and system cleanup from residual and useless system files such as temp files under C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Users\your.user.account\AppData\Local\Temp (Also accessed through Start\Run\%temp%

Besides the System Cleaner I suggested before, also CCleaner does a good job and can be programmed to auto cleanup such files and more.

Windows 10 Event Viewer Basics

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
It’s now PerfLib and PerfProc which are related to applications running on your System.. They are Windows processes that installed conflicting applications use, so check the possible solution for both. PerfNet is no longer causing errors and since it’s a network related process, I suppose the game that caused the freezes is online?… but whatever the answer it’s now working flawlessly. The question now is; Are PerfProc and PerfLib causing similar issues?

PerfProc.dll
PerfLib.dll

The remaining Events are just informative reports that shouldn’t be a cause for worry or affect system performance.

By the number of registered Events, though they are now less than yesterday, and most are informative, for those that remain and newly created, your system needs a thorough cleanup in the form of conflicting software removal and system cleanup from residual and useless system files such as temp files under C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Users\your.user.account\AppData\Local\Temp (Also accessed through Start\Run\%temp%

Besides the System Cleaner I suggested before, also CCleaner does a good job and can be programmed to auto cleanup such files and more.

Windows 10 Event Viewer Basics
Yes they are causing the same issues im pretty sure. The game is online, its the only game im having trouble with. (War thunder), its also the only game having freeze issues, just 3 hours ago it crashed on me. The issue occurs when I load the game/Switch to a Jet/Tank, and when i switch to a different country. Yes I have tried reinstalling, this is also on a fresh install of Windows 10.

Last edited:
So, it's as the info says, conflicting software... which is the game, when it switches to probably completely different scenarios(?)... which might mean those parts of the game have important differences in code, it may need and switch to different Windows dll files, or it may become heavier on the system. There must be a way to keep the game stabilized during those switches, but I don't have the slightest idea... my guess is some helping software like a Game Assistant could "absorb" or compensate, maybe learn the game and anticipate changes in video settings... aside from suggesting the use of such assistant software, maybe posting the issue on the Gaming forum might help you find more knowledgeable help.

For such assistant software, this is the first one that came up on a Google search, but the software description explains how it can make games rum better.

Game Assistant

Best game assistant software for Windows 10
https://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+best+game+assistant+software+for+windows+10

Last edited:

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
So, it's as the info says, conflicting software... which is the game, when it switches to probably completely different scenarios(?)... which might mean those parts of the game have important differences in code, it may need and switch to different Windows dll files, or it may become heavier on the system. There must be a way to keep the game stabilized during those switches, but I don't have the slightest idea... my guess is some helping software like a Game Assistant could "absorb" or compensate, maybe learn the game and anticipate changes in video settings... aside from suggesting the use of such assistant software, maybe posting the issue on the Gaming forum might help you find more knowledgeable help.

For such assistant software, this is the first one that came up on a Google search, but the software description explains how it can make games rum better.

Game Assistant

https://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+best+game+assistant+software+for+windows+10
Hm alright, i’ll try posting on the games forum, i’ll get back to you.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021

Game Assistant

The gaming forum didnt help at all, but I finally MAYBE got a BSOD that would give you some info. "Unexpected store exception". and the bluescreen view caught something.
I dont know how to post a file on here, let me know how to, thanks.

EDIT: Just checked the Bluescreen view again. The first and second BSOD highlighted something in red but the stop code is different. (Unexpected Store Exception) (System_Service_Exception) The thing highlighted is called "ntoskrnl.exe".

Last edited:
The gaming forum didnt help at all, but I finally MAYBE got a BSOD that would give you some info. "Unexpected store exception". and the bluescreen view caught something.
I dont know how to post a file on here, let me know how to, thanks.

EDIT: Just checked the Bluescreen view again. The first and second BSOD highlighted something in red, but the stop code is different. (Unexpected Store Exception) (System_Service_Exception) The thing highlighted is called "ntoskrnl.exe".

Go to this file sharing website... no need to register and easy to use.
Just click upload and your File explorer will open, select your file and click "open" and the upload starts and displays a download link

Simple file sharing

FIX: Ntoskrnl.exe high CPU and disk usage on Windows 10/11

The Unexpected Store Exception BSOD is related to HDD/SSD as the main cause there are other causes but you first have to check the Hard Disk or SSD condition with Hard Disk Sentinel... just install it and run it and it quickly scan the drive and display the condition in % percentage and a three merged color bar that depicts the drive's condition according to the color. I doubt your drive is damaged, so you'll next have to check the video and apply the fixes suggested in the video.

Hard Disk Sentinel

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
Go to this file sharing website... no need to register and easy to use.
Just click upload and your File explorer will open, select your file and click "open" and the upload starts and displays a download link

Simple file sharing

FIX: Ntoskrnl.exe high CPU and disk usage on Windows 10/11

The Unexpected Store Exception BSOD is related to HDD/SSD as the main cause there are other causes but you first have to check the Hard Disk or SSD condition with Hard Disk Sentinel... just install it and run it and it quickly scan the drive and display the condition in % percentage and a three merged color bar that depicts the drive's condition according to the color. I doubt your drive is damaged, so you'll next have to check the video and apply the fixes suggested in the video.

Hard Disk Sentinel

https://file.io/ekfNckxC6gky
https://file.io/YrZmUDR50FaG (This one is a BSOD from today "critical process died")
I used disk checkup it said, my main drive health was 99% another app said it was at 98% (No problems found)..
Got that notification after restarting from the BSOD
unknown.png

unknown.png

IMG_2508.jpg

Also is that normal? For the motherboard to be saying that??
And when I clicked it to restart it did nothing but say “scanning and repairing Drive C:” then it froze and went into windows 10.
View: https://youtu.be/A2_6A5kCwuk

Last edited:

On file.io, I found a warning that says the file is deleted as soon as someone downloads it... they don't store files more than the time it takes to upload and download it. So, if you uploaded your file, and downloaded it once as a test, that may be why I didn't find it for download. So, just upload it and do nothing more than copy the download link to post here.