Question BSOD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
i keep getting BSOD “Critical Process Died” after switching from a RX 6700 XT to a RTX 3070 Ti FE, it only happens when i open a game or try playing a game, sometimes it just turns black and restarts, ive tried uninstalling the drivers and it cant be the GPU because i had another 3070 Ti, it was doing the same thing.
Specs: RYZEN 7 3700X
32GB Corsair (8x4)
RTX 3070 Ti FE
Gigabyte X570 Elite wifi
2 1 TB SSDs
NZXT C750 80+ Gold 750W
IMG_2341.jpg

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
What I can tell from the dark image, is the system identifies three drives first is C drive (which from the Disk Management appears as D:\),
The second drive in file Explorer is Drive D:\ and the third drive again D:\ as a Network drive, three Items or Drives in total... but you only have Two of them... So, it should be ok to delete the Network Drive D:\ IF you have all the same files as copies and both drives hold the same number of GBs it should be Safe to delete the Network drive D, but first do a test as follows:
  1. Shut down the computer, and open the computer case, and remove the SATA data cable from Drive D: Games.
  2. Next start the computer and, from the File Explorer, disconnect the D:\ Network Drive same as the one that appears as \\?\Volume{ddd25.. in the Disk Management. Read full instructions for this disconnection and removal of the Network drive.
Disconnect mapped network drive on Windows 10 using File Explorer
https://pureinfotech.com/remove-network-drive-windows-10/

Once you have all drives well organized and defined, the USB connect - disconnect sound should disappear.
I only did the first step, the drive isnt connected to the network thing, and im still having freeze problems/100% disk when in a GPU intensive game..
Also do you think it could be the motherboard and SSD??

The main drive seems like it gets limited to 1.0MB/s read and write speeds...

The 1st step I suggested; Disconnecting the SATA data cable from the motherboard, was to see if the Network Driver version of the same drive, was still visible and accessible, to know what to suggest next.

So, is the Network drive still there or has it disappeared, (after disconnecting the SSD from the motherboard SATA port).?

The main drive slowing data transfer could be related to
  1. Bios settings,
  2. May need hardware drivers
  3. Or following manufacturer website install instructions.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
The 1st step I suggested; Disconnecting the SATA data cable from the motherboard, was to see if the Network Driver version of the same drive, was still visible and accessible, to know what to suggest next.

So, is the Network drive still there or has it disappeared, (after disconnecting the SSD from the motherboard SATA port).?

The main drive slowing data transfer could be related to
  1. Bios settings,
  2. May need hardware drivers
  3. Or following manufacturer website install instructions.
It doesnt need drivers, just uses microsoft drivers, and definitely isnt the bio settings, and I cant check anymore…
After a BSOD “Critical Process Died”
It shows this booting up.
0570EAEB-B6F8-4225-B03E-61F4F9EEE5CF.jpg

Yes I have tried disconnecting the Games drive.

"An operating system wasn't found"... comes up when the BIOS can't read or find a Boot drive or the Boot sector in any boot drive.

That can happen if you removed one HDD or SSD that contains the Boot sector that belongs to another drive where Windows is installed. This sometimes happens when you install Windows which creates a new & hidden partition where it installs the boot sector files, and it may create the Boot partition in the same or a second HDD or SSD. So, if you removed the Games SSD, it may contain the Boot sector of the installed Windows OS... To Boot Windows, all you have to do is again connect the Games SSD.

To prevent this distribution of the OS on different HDD - SSD drives, you just need to install Windows with a single SSD drive in the computer.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
I did what you said but it didnt work, and I dont think the bios caused it, I put the drive into my laptop, it booted up to “No OS found” so I put in a different drive with W10 into my desktop, it loaded into that drive..

New drive: BSOD but different symptoms kind of.. The main monitor would show the stop code “Whea uncorrectable error” and the second monitor would have black squares but you could still see some of the home screen, then it would black screen and reboot. Im suspecting the motherboard or cpu now.
IMG_2593.png

View: https://youtu.be/jOH4gVsAptU

Last edited:
I did what you said but it didnt work, and I dont think the bios caused it, I put the drive into my laptop, it booted up to “No OS found” so I put in a different drive with W10 into my desktop, it loaded into that drive..

New drive: BSOD but different symptoms kind of.. The main monitor would show the stop code “Whea uncorrectable error” and the second monitor would have black squares but you could still see some of the home screen, then it would black screen and reboot. Im suspecting the motherboard or cpu now.
IMG_2593.png
For the “No OS found”issue, you can run the Windows Startup Repair using the Windows install media (DVD/USB installer).

The WHEA error can be caused among others, GPU driver incompatibility the black squares and finally black screen are clear symptoms of a video card driver issue. Read other possible causes for this error.

How to Fix the WHEA Uncorrectable Error on Windows 10
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-whea-uncorrectable-error-windows-10

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021
For the “No OS found”issue, you can run the Windows Startup Repair using the Windows install media (DVD/USB installer).

The WHEA error can be caused among others, GPU driver incompatibility the black squares and finally black screen are clear symptoms of a video card driver issue. Read other possible causes for this error.

Imma see if I can do those tomorrow.

nighty_

Commendable
Apr 16, 2021

Didnt get the chance today, but im going to a microcenter soon to see if they can fix it.