[SOLVED] BSODs and crashes occurring every day at random times ?

saka-rauka1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
For the past 2 weeks or so my PC has been crashing at random times every day, recently even twice per day. The crashes are sometimes BSODs, and sometimes the screen just freezes and the machine reboots after a 10 second or so delay. I've noticed that if I'm watching a full screen Youtube video, the monitor will darken considerably and there's some weird color distortions.

I've seen the following blue screens: "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", "ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY" and most recently "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

I copied a few event viewer logs, although I don't know what I'm looking for exactly, and noted down what I was doing at the time of the crash:
There were a couple of warnings in event viewer that I took note of as well:

"The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\VID_B58E&PID_9E84&MI_03&Col02\8&f2e00bf&0&0001."

"Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Network link is disconnected."

There was also a crash in Pycharm:
https://pastebin.com/qxkk4pyS

I've just now followed the instructions here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/
There were already some files in minidump though, so I have put them in my onedrive along with the memory.dmp

Dump files:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlKstJnWndmbwyWkGfOa57O-EyMI?e=4E1zP7

Solution
see below, after the changes see if you still get a bugcheck.
note: The address that was called was unlikely to be malware. see if the bios update and chipset driver update fixes the problem
note: you will also have to look at the other drivers entry and update the intel management engine driver when do these updates
(security patches)
-----------------
first (most current bugcheck was due to a bad instruction pointer)
your cpu was released in 4th quarter of 2021
your motherboard bios was from December of 2021.
3 of your windows core files have been modified

you will want to do the following:
-update the motherboard bios to the current version often the first version of a bios has bugs that get fixed in updates.
PRO Z690-A DDR4...
note: The address that was called was unlikely to be malware. see if the bios update and chipset driver update fixes the problem
note: you will also have to look at the other drivers entry and update the intel management engine driver when do these updates
(security patches)
-----------------
first (most current bugcheck was due to a bad instruction pointer)
your cpu was released in 4th quarter of 2021
your motherboard bios was from December of 2021.
3 of your windows core files have been modified

you will want to do the following:
-update the motherboard bios to the current version often the first version of a bios has bugs that get fixed in updates.
PRO Z690-A DDR4 (msi.com)
most current bios is dated 1/11/2023, you should also update chipset drivers at the same time.

- start cmd.exe as an admin then run
dism.exe online cleanup-image /restorehealth
(this should fix any modifed windows core file on disk (if any))
turn off windows virtual memory and turn it back on again. This will delete the hidden pagefile.sys and remove any malware copy that is stored in the pagefile.sys

Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Product PRO Z690-A DDR4(MS-7D25)
Processor Manufacturer Intel(R) Corporation
Processor ID 72060900fffbebbf
Processor Version 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K
Processor Voltage 89h - 0.9V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 8500MHz
Current Speed 3168MHz

Solution

saka-rauka1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Thanks for the reply, I've done the following:

Updated to latest BIOS
Updated to latest chipset driver
Ran "dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth "
Disabled and reenabled page file
Updated to latest Intel Management Engine Driver

I don't think the other drivers listed on that page are necessary, as I don't use any of them.

The problem had become worse today, crashing 4 times, but hopefully now that I've performed the updates it won't keep occurring.