Bsod's and startup problems

tbrooks26

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I've been having alot of problems in the past few weeks with my computer. I'm going to try and figure out how to post a link to the microsoft support thread I started, but I'm new here. So far I only had one response there and it wasn't much help. My computer has become basically useless, and I can't figure out what is causing it.

http://

I have only seen this error code
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM ERROR

reported when a ATI graphics card was not getting proper power (or the card failed)

Remove any BIOS overclock, and and GPU or CPU overclocking.
if you are not overclocking, then boot into BIOS and reset the BIOS to defaults and reconfigure.

if the GPU is not getting proper 12 volt power, when the GPU kicks into 3d mode the card will get a "brown out" and get errors on its own memory transfers. I think the driver detects it and fakes a Bugcheck to shut down the system.

chrome by default now uses 3d graphics acceleration you can turn off that feature in chrome and your system will most likely boot.
but any 3d game or any other browser will also use 3d graphics.

check the supplemental power connection to the GPU. Also clean out any dust from the GPU because overheating can cause this also (but it take more time unless the GPU fan is broken(check to make sure it is spinning))

tbrooks26

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Thanks, I will look into that. I think it is intergrated Intel graphics. There is no overclocking going that I know of. Tonight it has worked almost perfectly. I was on it for about an hour earlier, checking email, browsing, and searching a little online with no problems. No chrome tho, just using IE. I let windows search for updates again, and left it alone for a little while. When I came back it was sleeping, and picked it up, (not even sure if I hit a button), and got a BSOD. Here's the report from who crashed for the past few days:

On Tue 6/14/2016 1:54:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061316-15178-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x4000000, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002AAE622)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 6/14/2016 1:54:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1+0x35AD4)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x4000000, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002AAE622)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 6/12/2016 5:28:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061216-13743-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x4000000, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002B0C622)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 6/12/2016 4:52:19 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061216-16879-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x4000000, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002AC2622)

On Fri 6/10/2016 8:27:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061016-25100-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

However it did start right back with no problems, and I'm actually on it now. Now and earlier, I've just had it in normal mode. When I get a little spare time I'll take this thing apart and do some cleaning/checking.

well each bugcheck has the first parameter with a 3 part error code.
in you case 0x4000000
the 4 in this case means the facility code, IE what subsystem called the error.
problem is 4= FACILITY_ITF = Error codes defined by custom interfaces
which is why it is not documented by microsoft, It must be generated by a OEM driver and they did not use the correct error code format so the error= 0
which mean no error. But then why call the bugcheck.

Like I said, I have only seen this with ATI drivers, any chance your machine has a 3d graphic driver and the intel graphics inside the CPU?

the only real way to tell would be for you to copy the memory dump from c:\windows\minidump directory to a server like microsoft onedrive, share the files as public and post a link.

I can check the list of installed drivers with the windows debugger.

tbrooks26

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Sorry, I've been busy. I have no idea about the 3d graphics driver. I have however figured out how to use onedrive and hopefully will share the minidump files below. Although the memory.dmp file looks like it will take forever to upload. I haven't had much time on the computer, but it seems to be working fine when im on it.

http://

provide the make and model of the machine.
update the BIOS also.
------------
the second two bugchecks do not implicate the graphic card
But all three showed a attempt access a bogus memory address (same address in all cases)

(these are two shots in the dark)
- you might want to confirm your memory hardware is working ok by running memtest86
- I would also do a malwarebytes scan

It is strange that the memory address only had one active bit in it, if it were all zero it would have been flagged as bad, I think this is going to be a hardware failure or bug. (just hard to tell)

overall, I have only seen this on systems running amd graphics cards.
In this case I can not tell what motherboard you have because your BIOS is so old.
I am guessing it is a very old machine.

--------------
first bugcheck was in the directx graphics driver while running internet explorer.
it looks like a heap corruption and a call to a bogus memory address.

I would go into internet explorer and disable turn off hardware acceleration
I would go into internet explorer and disable any add on extensions

your machine appears to be a asus machine but i can not tell for sure,
it looks like a old machine with a very old BIOS. The bios could not be read by the windows debugger.
so I am assuming it is very old.
if it is old, you GPU may be overheating and you might just need to blow out the dust.

anyway, unrelated to this error
you might want to update the BIOS and drivers for your motherboard from the motherboard vendors website.

tbrooks26

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
It is an Asus k73e, from 2011. Its all factory. I will update my bios, and follow your other suggestions. Last night it worked pretty well. Windows update finally had some updates for me to install. I did them in small groups to hopefully lessen the chance of getting a bsod while updating. I did have 2 bsod's and some trouble getting some updates to install, but by 4 this morning I had all of them installed and also got my mcafee installed.

tbrooks26

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
So here's my results so far. After checking on the asus website, it shows the most current version of my bios being from 2011, so I don't think there is an update. Apparently it is an asus motherboard also. I ran memtest, and everything checked out fine. I tried to get and use malwarebytes, but after 3 downloads and installs, it still will not work. Considering I have clean installed windows about 5 times now, I don't think malware is the problem, but I could be wrong.

Throughout the day I have had multiple bsod's mostly while trying to start the computer, although I did have one this afternoon when my screen went askew. Part of the screen went extremely diagonal. It seems most of the bsod's today said something about a page fault, but they went by very quickly, I'm sure you will find the info here: http://

I haven't had a chance to crack it open and clean things yet, but I will as soon as I get some extra time. It may just be that this computer is at the end of its life. I'm surprised it lasted this long, the first 2 years I had it, it spent 18 months going back and forth to warranty service, Since then it has been fine, but I will never buy asus again