[SOLVED] BSODs - need help with minidumps

Jul 28, 2021
Hi there,
Would anyone be willing to look at my minidump files? I have been getting BSODs ever since installing new memory (on a new motherboard & cpu - I've been getting some before that as well but it's a different error it seems). To add some context, it happens after the computer has been shut down for a while, then when I open firefox some tab starts to crash followed by a bluescreen. It doesn't happen after the PC has been running for a while, it happens relatively short after booting it up, although it might be a coincidence. What could be causing this?
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7sprg3ncddjt6v6/minidumps.zip/file - link to minidumps zip.

Kind regards.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you happen to know if Crucial or MSI tested that memory with that motherboard? Intel CPU generally more lenient with ram than ryzen is

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g32c16u4b

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

its possible the new sticks are the problem. Its possible for ram to be bad on purchase
memtest will at least check them. it doesn't run inside windows for starters.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/9kywa6ut/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:081021-7218-01.dmp (Aug 10 2021 - 15:46:44)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:081021-7031-01.dmp (Aug 10 2021 - 15:13:56)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:081021-6234-01.dmp (Aug 9 2021 - 19:02:17)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560M-BAZOOKA
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version A.0 and the newest is A.22. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: paaaanicz

Colif

Win 11 Master
critical process died errors not easy to figure out, they are actually caused by Windows files crashing. Technically all BSOD are caused by windows crashing but these are specifically windows errors. Service host caused this one, but I would guess a driver pushed it.

try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Last BSOD likely caused by LAN drivers
Dump text mentions afd.sys. Its Ancillary Function driver for winsock. Its one of the drivers used for networking
you have Realtek drivers from May so not that old.
Newest are here - Download Win10 Auto Installation Program (SId:1152921505693680020) from under the windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

did you move windows from an old mb & cpu without clean installing as that could be reason for bsod now.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021
critical process died errors not easy to figure out, they are actually caused by Windows files crashing. Technically all BSOD are caused by windows crashing but these are specifically windows errors. Service host caused this one, but I would guess a driver pushed it.

try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Last BSOD likely caused by LAN drivers
Dump text mentions afd.sys. Its Ancillary Function driver for winsock. Its one of the drivers used for networking
you have Realtek drivers from May so not that old.
Newest are here - Download Win10 Auto Installation Program (SId:1152921505693680020) from under the windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

did you move windows from an old mb & cpu without clean installing as that could be reason for bsod now.
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth doesn't work for me. It says
"C:\WINDOWS\system32>Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
'Repair-WindowsImage' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."
-- nvm, I went into cmd instead of powershell at first.
"
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False
"

Yes, I moved my drives along with windows without reinstalling. I heard it was fine and windows detects new components easily. I'm down to try a clean install though.

When I installed everything, I used my old 1x8GB RAM without any blue screens. The new RAMs worked perfectly when I installed them. Then I shut down my PC and booted up around 9 hours later. I opened some firefox tabs and it crashed few minutes after booting up. I restarted my PC and it worked perfectly for many hours again, until I shut down & booted up few hours later again - predictable when it was about to happen. It seems my PC doesn't BSOD if it has been running for a while, I've been using it intensively for the past 15 hours without any issues.

One time, I also noticed discord crashing, steam crashing and some settings reset and ofc firefox tabs crashing before one of the BSODs, which makes me wonder if it's not something connected to the ssd (however the health state is at 84%, so I don't know) on which windows is installed, or maybe virtual memory. This whole thing is kind of scary, I heard it could even be something like the air cooler installed too tighly etc. Hopefully there's a way to narrow it down.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
fresh install could fix it.

Then I shut down my PC and booted up around 9 hours later. I opened some firefox tabs and it crashed few minutes after booting up. I restarted my PC and it worked perfectly for many hours again, until I shut down & booted up few hours later again - predictable when it was about to happen.
this could be an old driver that is either mismatched because you swapped hardware or one that doesn't like fast startup

if it still happens on new install, and you have an ssd, try turning this off = https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

if I had to guess, its likely a driver dated before 2015
Oct 19 2011I1KBFLTR.sys
sticks out, its a keyboard driver from what I can tell.

Jul 28, 2021
I booted up my PC after few hours again and the firefox tabs went unresponsive, also discord. As expected. Didn't end in a BSOD though and it's responsive again - PC is running normally. There's a thing I noticed in the event viewer though and it says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Also this "Application pop-up: Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low : Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help. " Virtual memory settings say that the total paging file size for all drives is 6656 MB and it's automatically allocated (but that's after this information, so windows already increased the size by itself - maybe I should manually allocate a size). Not sure if it's related to my issue.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you clean installed yet?

could run this, reinstall GPU drivers and see if that helps = https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

can you search system information in windows
in the app, on right hand column it has a header called Page file space. How much do you have? its possible it was only set to 8gb given thats how much you originally had. It may have grown to 16gb as it should match ram amount.

Jul 28, 2021
have you clean installed yet?

could run this, reinstall GPU drivers and see if that helps = https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

can you search system information in windows
in the app, on right hand column it has a header called Page file space. How much do you have? its possible it was only set to 8gb given thats how much you originally had. It may have grown to 16gb as it should match ram amount.
I haven't clean installed yet, I'll need to back up my data first etc. I'll clean install gpu drivers right now.

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 22.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 15.5 GB
Page File Space 6.50 GB

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think minimum it can be is 4.75gb so it didn't grow that much. I would leave page file as is, as if you run out of ram, and run out of page file, you run out of memory and PC will throw errors at you. And crash.
Page file is on your C drive.

I wonder why you got it. Have you noticed high ram usage? page file is only used if you run out of ram. Win 10 rarely uses page file, if it needs space its more likely to compress data into ram, not send it to page file unless you really need that space.

But you can run out of memory while having free ram. Its called a memory leak. A driver can ask for memory but not release it when its meant to but instead keep asking for more. Windows only has so much it can pretend it has. Because windows uses Virtual memory, all programs think they have access to way more memory than you actually have, and for most part it works fine, unless a driver doesn't give back what its using. Once windows reaches its max Commitment level, it basically starts to fail

So do you run many programs that use all your ram?

Jul 28, 2021
i think minimum it can be is 4.75gb so it didn't grow that much. I would leave page file as is, as if you run out of ram, and run out of page file, you run out of memory and PC will throw errors at you. And crash.
Page file is on your C drive.

I wonder why you got it. Have you noticed high ram usage? page file is only used if you run out of ram. Win 10 rarely uses page file, if it needs space its more likely to compress data into ram, not send it to page file unless you really need that space.

But you can run out of memory while having free ram. Its called a memory leak. A driver can ask for memory but not release it when its meant to but instead keep asking for more. Windows only has so much it can pretend it has. Because windows uses Virtual memory, all programs think they have access to way more memory than you actually have, and for most part it works fine, unless a driver doesn't give back what its using. Once windows reaches its max Commitment level, it basically starts to fail

So do you run many programs that use all your ram?
My RAM usage is typically 30-40%, unless I am in a game. I don't run many programs at all.
Also noticed this error in event viewer, "The Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service." few minutes ago, but my PC has been running fine for an hour now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
99% of the events in event viewer happened once but likely worked every other time they run. Event viewer just records the fails. Its not a good place to look to see if PC is working okay. It will show me errors if I look but as PC is working now, I prefer not to look at it or Reliability History as it can make you feel bad about a PC that is working fine.
Event viewer had many of its events reduced in severity as scammers would use the errors to convince people to buy things they didn't need. So just ignore it for most part.

Colif

Win 11 Master
3 possible outcomes when you move windows from 1 PC to another (which in Microsoft's eyes is what you do when you swap CPU & Motherboard)
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but its got problems
  3. it fails to boot

You on step 2. Seems windows good at booting off strange hardware but it doesn't really like it. I don't see many 3's. And I guess 1's don't have any reason to ask us. Very few people with working PC ask us why :)

Jul 28, 2021
Btw - I went to restart my PC just to check. One blue screen while restarting my PC and another a minute after booting into windows.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/qthrm25jpjdilcu/minidumps2.zip/file
I ended up plugging in my old 1x8GB ram and it works without issues. No idea honestly. It also seems to always be the same crash address ntoskrnl.exe+3f6f20.

Plugged the new ram sticks again and no issues at boot up. Maybe it's because the bios oc settings are reset. So maybe it's the XMP setting or cpu water cooling option (to remove power limits). I turned off the latter and will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you happen to know if Crucial or MSI tested that memory with that motherboard? Intel CPU generally more lenient with ram than ryzen is

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g32c16u4b

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

its possible the new sticks are the problem. Its possible for ram to be bad on purchase
memtest will at least check them. it doesn't run inside windows for starters.

Solution

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the 2 new dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/mk8x5jp4/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:081121-8718-01.dmp (Aug 11 2021 - 16:56:26)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:081121-8812-02.dmp (Aug 11 2021 - 16:59:15)
Bugcheck:BAD_POOL_CALLER (C2)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: nvcontainer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
nvcontainer (victim) is part of Nvidia drivers. You did say that they had been crashing so if you ran ddu it might be fixed.

not sure if bios updates would help. Its a fairly new Motherboard so its possible newer bios updates can help with memory compatibility. there is a YouTube link on page that shows how to update - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B560M-BAZOOKA