Bsods, now blinking cursor and cant install windows

airforce2high

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hello, My PC had been running sweet for about 2 years heavy gaming and music production then my psu blew up which i replaced and everything was gravy again. about 2 weeks later i was playing battlefield and i got a bsod citing pfn list, the first ever bsod with this pc. from then i was getting bsods with various different reasons pfn list and others i cant remember which. after much faffing getting nowhere i decided to try a fresh install of windows 7 64 on a new partition. at this point i had an old xp partition on one hard drive as well as on old win7 64 partition and my current win7 64 partition on a separate drive. i created a new partition on the same drive as my win7 partitions whilst in windows and shutdown to start the new install. everything looked to be going fine but then the windows install stopped saying files were missing. after this point my pc no longer shows my old partitions and i only get a blinking cursor when i try to boot from any drive other than the dvd drive. ive tried pulling ram, yanking the graphics card, pulling the battery out. i am at a loss help plz?

the power supply may have zapped your hard drives. i would download hirums boot cd and run the wd or seagte tools to see if your hard drive passes. I would also take the drives out and test them one at a time with hd tune. (read the smart info. if the drives are fine then the mb sata or ide controller has gone bad. ).

airforce2high

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
i should also mention that now when i try to install on the partition i had created, windows install says it cannot create or find a partition even though it shows up and allows me to select it

1) Make sure it's not the power cable by switching out with another one. If you use a power strip, switch that out too.
2) Try using the computer on another outlet, somethings ppl screw the wiring over when building a house
3) Try swaping out the motherboard. Your old PSU could have damaged your mobo and it could only be showing now

Also, other parts may have been damage by the PSU blowout. Every part could be a trouble maker unfortunately. I have a PSU do the same to me, luckily nothing damaged.

I would advise that you only purchase high quality power supplies as they are the part most prone to damage in a computer. Also it's a good idea to have a surge or spike suppressor that can handle the load your computer requires. Most power strips have minimal surge suppression that is not adequate for computers. Purchase a good strip, about 60-$80, and you will sleep more safely.

airforce2high

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
so this could be residual damage from the old psu even though its been working fine for a while since? new psu is a corsair cx600 should be ok right only using a hd5770.

anyways ill grab hunerns boot disc and check back with the results.

thanks a lot for the speedy replies.

airforce2high

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
ok so i ran memtest and it turns out i had some bad ram so that may have been contributing to the bsods. two sticks came back clean though so thats good. i ran tests on all my drives and they came back fine. i booted mini xp and i can access all my data fine.

still have the problem of not being able to get a fresh install or repairing windows.

when i try installing to a partition on my system drive windows installer says it cannot create or find a system partition and when i try to repair it cannot find a windows install. any ideas?

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I had an issue with windows 7 installs when i tried to use a disk that had been part of a raid array, i had to go in with boot tools to remove all partitions from the drive before it would work. I recommend you download the hard drive tools from the drive manufacturers website to check it, and they normally have cleaning tools, if not download and use some free drive software like the ultimate boot cd.

If you have another system(that works):
- swap out parts one at a time until a defective part prevents the working system to cease working. This will of course require some compatibility between the two systems, like the mobo being able to use the cpu, and/or the ram from the problem system.

TRENDING THREADS