Question BSoDs - OC become unstable?

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
Hey guys.

My i7 9700K have been running stable on 5.0GHz the last 8 months, however a week ago I all of the sudden experienced BSoD's.

For the last week I have had 1 BSoD each day, saying"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Today, I had another new type of BSoD, but this time it was saying "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE"

After today I decided to try downclock my CPU to 4.9GHz to see if that will help on the issue, however I wanted to hear you guys if you had any idea what its caused by - and IF it could potential be my OC have become unstable.

I would love to hear from you experts out there :)

Best regards

zx128k

Reputable
Anything can make an overclock unstable but the main ones are, windows updates, microcode updates, bios updates and a system was not stable in the first place. If vcore or IMC voltage is too high then CPU degradation.

In your case I would guess memory related, check the voltage for the IMC and/or RAM issues.

It is also funny how increasing vcore can fix everything.

Its worth doing full checks, are the RAM sticks, VRM's or cpu overheating. If there is a lot of dust around the vrm's and cpu heatsink then that can restrict air flow and cause overheating of the vrm's.

Updating windows 10 to the latest version and removing bad drivers can fix it too.

Try this program to find out who crashed, https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Troubleshooting guide

I would run memtest86, aida64 or Prime95. Test the different parts of your computer. If the system is stable them look to finding the software issue.

Last edited:

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
Try this program to find out who crashed, https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Thanks for the quick response.

I downloaded it, and ran an analyze and this is my 2 past crashes:
https://gyazo.com/72142b8190d211dc978f58acc6ab8a9d

All though it doesn't really give me any further details on where the problem is.
I mean, according to WhoCrashed, its a driver causing the issue. However, not really pinpointing to which specific driver. :D

But afaik, when I did OC my CPU, whenever my OC wasnt stable, the BSoD message was also irql_not_less_or_equal - i might remember wrong.

For information, this is my current OC settings:

5.0GHz settings (w/ adaptive voltages)
Multiplier:
XMP: Enabled
AVX: 0
MCE: Auto
SVID Support: Auto
SVID Behavior: Best Case Scenario
AC/DC Load Line: 0.01 / 0.01
Load Line Calibration: Level 5
Adaptive Voltage: 1.350v (1.332v @ load)
Voltage Offset: -0.018v
VCCIO: 1.150v
VCCSA: 1.150v

ADD: I have now downclocked to 4.9GHz just to see if that solve the issue, everything else is the same.

EDIT: Usually my windows auto updates, but I just checked myself to be sure everything was up-to-date. And it found a new update ".NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 to Windows 10 Version 1903 to x64" .

Also I havent updated driver for my GPU for a while. My current driver is from 1st October and newest driver is from 3rd February.

I doubt this has anything to do with my issue, but just wanted to share it.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
Thanks for the quick response.

I downloaded it, and ran an analyze and this is my 2 past crashes:
https://gyazo.com/72142b8190d211dc978f58acc6ab8a9d

All though it doesn't really give me any further details on where the problem is.
I mean, according to WhoCrashed, its a driver causing the issue. However, not really pinpointing to which specific driver. :D

But afaik, when I did OC my CPU, whenever my OC wasnt stable, the BSoD message was also irql_not_less_or_equal - i might remember wrong.

For information, this is my current OC settings:

5.0GHz settings (w/ adaptive voltages)
Multiplier:
XMP: Enabled
AVX: 0
MCE: Auto
SVID Support: Auto
SVID Behavior: Best Case Scenario
AC/DC Load Line: 0.01 / 0.01
Load Line Calibration: Level 5
Adaptive Voltage: 1.350v (1.332v @ load)
Voltage Offset: -0.018v
VCCIO: 1.150v
VCCSA: 1.150v

ADD: I have now downclocked to 4.9GHz just to see if that solve the issue, everything else is the same.

EDIT: Usually my windows auto updates, but I just checked myself to be sure everything was up-to-date. And it found a new update ".NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 to Windows 10 Version 1903 to x64" .

Also I havent updated driver for my GPU for a while. My current driver is from 1st October and newest driver is from 3rd February.

I doubt this has anything to do with my issue, but just wanted to share it.

If down-clocking fixes the issue, then that would give you a good idea that the issue is the overclock. What program are you using to make sure you are stable? A 5GHz AVX overclock is good for the 9700k, top 9% of CPU's.

Coffee Lake RefreshSSE FrequencyAVX2 FrequencyVcore% Capable
9700K4.90GHz4.70GHz1.337V100%
9700K5.00GHz4.80GHz1.350VTop 90%
9700K5.10GHz4.90GHz1.362VTop 38%
9700K5.20GHz5.00GHz1.375VTop 9%
9700K5.30GHz5.10GHz1.387VTop 1%
source

Every driver version has it's personal list of bugs, just because its newer won't mean much if it crashes your system.

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
Yeah i guess youre right. But its really hard to "troubleshoot" since im "only" getting 1 BSoD a day, and even today was a different bsod message than the previous ones.

I used Realbench, OCCT, Prime95 & IBT.
And my OC has been completely stable for 8 months until these issues started a week ago.
I've had 0 WHEA errors, 0 BSoDs, 0 throttling etc.

I mean, it might just have become unstable after 8months of use, dont know if that could be the case.

Also looked at the chart, and 1.375v seems pretty high for 5.0GHz imo.

zx128k

Reputable
Yeah i guess youre right. But its really hard to "troubleshoot" since im "only" getting 1 BSoD a day, and even today was a different bsod message than the previous ones.

I used Realbench, OCCT, Prime95 & IBT.
And my OC has been completely stable for 8 months until these issues started a week ago.
I've had 0 WHEA errors, 0 BSoDs, 0 throttling etc.

I mean, it might just have become unstable after 8months of use, dont know if that could be the case.

Also looked at the chart, and 1.375v seems pretty high for 5.0GHz imo.

My guess is that they are values whereby the most cpu's reach that frequency. You could very well be one bump in voltage away from stable @5GHz, I don't know. BSoD should not be ignored. If you check your overclock to make sure its stable, then you will know if the overclock causes it or something else. Took 2-3 years for my 2500k to degrade but I got it from overclockers as a binned chip. Most overclock's do required tweaking over time.

The main thing I hate about overclocking, is that BSoD always force me the run stability tests. My old audio card caused BSoD and it took me awhile to work that out. If you leave a unstable system, all you will get is data corruption.

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
I see.

Well, i for sure dont want to ignore my BSoD, which is also why i dialed down my OC.
But now i just have to wait and see if it occurs again. But surely, if I get BSoD again today, it must be something else than my CPU OC causing the issue - due to the fact i am now running 4.9 GHz on higher vcore than nescessary. So volt shouldnt be an issue.

Maybe could be ram?

zx128k

Reputable
I see.

Well, i for sure dont want to ignore my BSoD, which is also why i dialed down my OC.
But now i just have to wait and see if it occurs again. But surely, if I get BSoD again today, it must be something else than my CPU OC causing the issue - due to the fact i am now running 4.9 GHz on higher vcore than nescessary. So volt shouldnt be an issue.

Maybe could be ram?

Via logic, if you get a BSoD it can still be your OC. You have to verify the cpu is stable. Just the act of reducing frequency does not guarantee this fact.

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
Yeah alrite. I will do that this week at some point.

But read alot of places, that the current BSoD's i am experienced is often software related issues. So i really hope that is the case :D. But i will see what happens today, since I downclocked.

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
An update !

Since wednesday, when i downclocked to 4.9GHz, I didnt experience any BSoD's, and did the same load as when I got the BSoD's, so no difference there.

I then today, decided to try go back to 5.0GHz, and got BSoD 8 hours into a session.

So I guess I can safely assume 5.0GHz is no longer stable (for whatever reason), right?

Also, if it was ram or software related, I would have gotten BSoD during 4.9 GHz 2 days session yea?

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
did u check the ram? i think the issue is with ur ram... or motherboard issues....

I have not no. Should i do memtest86 or what is best to check my ram?
Also will a test of turning off XMP do anything?

--

UPDATE:

So, i turned back my OC to 4.9GHz, and had BSoD (irql message) after 10 hours of load. Soo, i am a bit clueless now tbh. Suggestions?

I have not no. Should i do memtest86 or what is best to check my ram?
Also will a test of turning off XMP do anything?

--

UPDATE:

So, i turned back my OC to 4.9GHz, and had BSoD (irql message) after 10 hours of load. Soo, i am a bit clueless now tbh. Suggestions?
Try memtest86+ with each RAM stick alone.
Is your RAM in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard?

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
Try memtest86+ with each RAM stick alone.
Is your RAM in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard?

I have never actually run memtest86 before, is it easy to use?

And I would highly assume so. It's bought through a pc building company.
I got Asus Rog Strix Z390-F w/ Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz @ 16GB (2x8).

Will a test of turning off XMP help anything?

zx128k

Reputable
Yes, you just boot from it and press test with the keyboard. One pass is enough.

Most of the time when testing my RAM OC's fail at pass three or four.

source
I've run memtest and seen 6 passes with no errors, with 4+ errors per pass after that. I normally just run 3-4 passes, but it's certainly possible to miss errors by doing just a couple of passes. I'd imagine that some errors only pop up as the memory modules heat up, thus causing problems with memory running at a high voltage.

You could after four passes or one full run try other stress tests. Make note of the test that any errors take place on.

What you should do is set the BIOS settings to default and then enable xmp for the RAM. Then run memtest86 to see if the RAM is stable at stock cpu speeds. If your cpu is unstable you will get RAM errors.

Then afterwards start overclocking the cpu.

Some motherboards can cause issues with memtest. Motherboard issues

Last edited:

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
UPDATE:

I did run a memtest and everything passed fine.
HOWEVER, and this might sound a bit weird to you guys, cause it sure did to me.

A lot of people told me the issue could be software related, so i started digging a bit. I looked in my eventlog and found critical warnings about a HID-compliant Headset causing issues. And the timings on those critical warnings was exactly the same timings I had BSoDs.

When I opened Device Manager and checked HID-Compliant Headset, it had a yellow exclamationmark. I tryid updating it, but was fully updated. However, deactivating it and activating it, removed the yellow exclamationmark.

I now don't see any critical warnings in eventlog and haven't experienced any BSoD's the last 32 hours so far.
I do however still get "warnings" about "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\VID_0951&PID_16A4&MI_03&Col02\7&1c94fa2&0&0001."

HID/VID_0951 is "HID-Compliant Headset".

I also researched abit about HID-Compliant Headset issues, and found a lot of people having same issues as me, due to this. And from my understanding, it is caused by my HyperX Cloud 2 headset for some reason.

By now, HyperX havent found a working solution, and as they said "are waiting for windows to come with an update that will sort the HID issue".

zx128k

Reputable
UPDATE:

I did run a memtest and everything passed fine.
HOWEVER, and this might sound a bit weird to you guys, cause it sure did to me.

A lot of people told me the issue could be software related, so i started digging a bit. I looked in my eventlog and found critical warnings about a HID-compliant Headset causing issues. And the timings on those critical warnings was exactly the same timings I had BSoDs.

When I opened Device Manager and checked HID-Compliant Headset, it had a yellow exclamationmark. I tryid updating it, but was fully updated. However, deactivating it and activating it, removed the yellow exclamationmark.

I now don't see any critical warnings in eventlog and haven't experienced any BSoD's the last 32 hours so far.
I do however still get "warnings" about "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\VID_0951&PID_16A4&MI_03&Col02\7&1c94fa2&0&0001."

HID/VID_0951 is "HID-Compliant Headset".

I also researched abit about HID-Compliant Headset issues, and found a lot of people having same issues as me, due to this. And from my understanding, it is caused by my HyperX Cloud 2 headset for some reason.

By now, HyperX havent found a working solution, and as they said "are waiting for windows to come with an update that will sort the HID issue".

I would remove the device from the system and see if the issues go away but I doubt they will. I hope I am wrong.

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
I would remove the device from the system and see if the issues go away but I doubt they will. I hope I am wrong.

So what youre suggesting, is try to use a different headset and see if the warnings persist or?

I mean, by searching I havent found anyone experiencing the issue, that didnt have hyperx headset.
But could be a possibility that it would persist even with another headset as well.