Question BSOD's on new system... how to find what the problem is?

Skeets23

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I built this system last week:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rbnt3t

Today, I randomly had 2 BSOD's when doing very simple tasks (first time experiencing BSOD on the system):

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (With nothing open at all, just barely turned on system)
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (Internet browsing (one window one tab))

I have 2 monitors attached, and one screen also goes black for about 1 second 3-4 times a day (randomly). So I wonder if the video card could be at fault.

I'm running windows 10 pro.

Skeets23

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
This is a clean install of windows 10.

I ran Window's memory test tool (no errors found), but haven't run MEMTEST yet... I'm running it now. (using the indefinitely setting)

Skeets23

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Usually 6 hours with no errors is a pretty safe test.

Yeah, it ran for over 6 hours with no errors.

The good news is I haven't had any BSOD's since the original 2 on the same day. But I still don't know why those happened. Screens still flash black for about 1-2 seconds a couple times a day. (mostly just one of the screens though, so it could just be a faulty cord)

As far as temperatures go, the only thing that gets above 30C is the M.2 SSD drive, which is anywhere from 37C to upper 60s. (using "SpeedFan" to get temperatures)

Skeets23

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I got 2 more BSOD's now, one day apart.

The error I got was "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR"... which I believe most likely indicates a hardware issue.

However, I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing what component is causing the problem.

The "description for the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" was:

Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

The crash took place once in the Windows kernel, and once in a Microsoft module (according to the "Who Crashed" app analysis.)

Skeets23

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Update on the issue here... (sorry, I must have my settings wrong on this forum because it's not notifying me when you reply... even though I have email notifications enabled and the email address is correct... but anyway, unrelated to this issue.)

I'm not overclocking anything.

Today I attempted to remove the video card and use the board's ports to see if it makes a difference. I'm now getting this (non-fatal) error:

"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

(error 4101)

... which happens 0~3 times per hour. It happened before and after updating the drivers for the built-in Intel UHD 630.

The screen goes black, the audio distorts, and then everything comes back when it recovers. Opening the event viewer shows the error above.

Playing videos in a web browser sometimes can trigger this error... in which case, I have to restart the system, or it will have the error every time a video starts (but the video plays after the system recovers from the error)

Skeets23

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I should mention… I was really hoping that it wouldn’t effect anything, but when removing the metal slot blockers to insert the graphics card, I scratched the motherboard slightly, revealing the copper lines underneath. 😫 Following some guidance on several forums, I covered it with clear nail polish (none of the wires look broken, but the copper color is visible). My guess originally was that if this were to cause any issues, the computer wouldn’t start at all, but maybe I’m wrong and this is the issue here 😕