[SOLVED] BSODs on stock voltage

Dec 26, 2018
I recently bought used PC for gaming. It was working fine so I never checked any settings from BIOS etc.
Today I got notified by MSI software that BIOS update is available - so I updated BIOS (MSI Z270 GAMING M7, BIOS v17).
After BIOS update there was lots of BSODs - different at each boot (5-6 before I reached login screen and 2 right after).
I digged out that I had to set higher voltage in BIOS for my CPU to work stable.
While I was testing with Prime95 and Aida64 I was suprised i have to set voltage to 1.355v to work stable (BSODs with even 1.45; less often on 1.350)
CPU is i7-7700k with single ram stick 8GB 3000MHz

Is this save to use it like that with NZXT KRaken x62 v2 cooling AIO?
Or should I go for new MB/CPU?

Solution
You should check what your BSOD is. It will let you know what failed.

You should never have to add that much Voltage to get stock speeds to work. Either a failing Motherboard, or CPU, and RAM can cause that. If it happened after your BIOS update, you could have even gotten a corrupted update. Try to reset your bios settings and test it in safe mode. Bad Drivers will also cause a BSOD.

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
You should check what your BSOD is. It will let you know what failed.

You should never have to add that much Voltage to get stock speeds to work. Either a failing Motherboard, or CPU, and RAM can cause that. If it happened after your BIOS update, you could have even gotten a corrupted update. Try to reset your bios settings and test it in safe mode. Bad Drivers will also cause a BSOD.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I would role back the BIOS if your sure it caused that, I certainly wouldn't be considering new hardware because a bios update screwed some stuff up lol, bit ridiculous.

1.35v is excessive for stock clocks 1.45v is extremely excessive. I very much doubt cpu core voltage is causing your issue. Worry about what caused your problem i.e the bios update, don't screw around with voltages and hope it sticks. I would either reinstall or roll back that bios update

Dec 26, 2018
I really don't know if previous owner hav'nt messed up something with OC.
I think he might set it up to run and sold it as working/good condition - with bumped CPU voltage.
NEw BIOS could just wipe previous settings.
I can't verify if I'm correct.
So far I've booted from BIOS v1.2 (default) and BSODs were even faster than before so I could just read two of them:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I think i might have seen somehing like KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE but I might be wrong.

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
If you did a rollback on your BIOS version and it still crashes, look into reformatting your computer. See if it's bad drivers causing this issue. If it's still occurring my first option would be to try swapping out for a different set of ram, then cpu, if not it's possible the motherboard.

Dec 26, 2018
I am not able to check any other ram my old PC has DDR3.
Right now I'm experiencing CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
I will swap i7 for G4600 borrowed from my cousin and let you know within an hour whats going on.

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
You're getting BSOD errors regarding different components in your system, such as Driver irql no less or equal, is your memory tried to process a faulty code.
A very good guess is just a reformat on your computer with the right drivers. Unless all your hardware happen to be failing at the same time. Which is unlikely

Dec 26, 2018
So I swapped CPU to G4600 and I got:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Im going to install Windows 10 again. and post results in a few hours.