Question BSODs, Restarts after fresh Win 10 Installation

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
I did a fresh installation of Windows 10 yesterday and after I started installing some drivers and programs the pc is restarting abruptly and sometimes leading to BSODs.

It also sometimes just blacks out the screen and freezes.

There has been no change in the hardware. And there was no such problem prior to the new installation.

I feel it usually happens when I am using Google Chrome. But I am not sure.

Also, the system spends a lot of time on the BSOD screen, slowing completing the 100% info collection.

Even posting the dump file is a pain. The PC restarts in merely 2 minutes after booting up.

Link to dump file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcaswt5vshl82oi/minidump.rar?dl=0

Please help !

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

I will ask a friend to look at the latest dump

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://tellurousamericanwaterspaniel.htmlpasta.com/
File information:052420-34187-01.dmp (May 24 2020 - 08:01:15)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:AuthenticAMD (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

File information:052420-30937-01.dmp (May 24 2020 - 07:45:32)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:052320-43015-01.dmp (May 23 2020 - 05:06:36)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:052320-36515-01.dmp (May 23 2020 - 12:13:24)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: iCUE.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:052320-35781-01.dmp (May 23 2020 - 11:38:19)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:052320-35750-01.dmp (May 23 2020 - 12:01:37)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:052320-35187-01.dmp (May 23 2020 - 02:21:00)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX/
You have the latest BIOS already installed, version 1603.

If you had no crashes before the reinstall but started having crashes afterwards, it seem drivers are the problem. However the first crash was a WHEA error which is usually hardware.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

I will ask a friend to look at the latest dump
I already have. I also removed iCue from Corsair. Now I dont get Driver IRQLs and IRQLs. But WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR persists. The PC also freezes while using Google Chrome.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
So, when i disable all the non-microsoft services in msconfig and run the computer, there is no BSOD. Is that a clue ? I hardly have 5 things in services right now.
Acrobat update service
AMD External Events utility
WindscribeService
Brother (Printer) Service

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
It can be any hardware
can be caused by heat.
can be caused by overclocking but I assume that isn't case

Icue was what crashed, it wasn't necessarily the cause of the problems.

Problems arise when there are no chipset drivers (none since Win 7 anyway)
motherboard - M5A78L-M LX - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX/HelpDesk_Download/
CPU - AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
RAM - 8gb (unknown maker)
GPU AMD Radoen?
what else?

Were you getting BSOD before the reinstall?

So, when i disable all the non-microsoft services in msconfig and run the computer, there is no BSOD. Is that a clue ? I hardly have 5 things in services right now.
its interesting for sure, what programs do you have normally in startup as that only stops 3rd party apps from running, it doesn't stop drivers.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
It can be any hardware
can be caused by heat.
can be caused by overclocking but I assume that isn't case

Icue was what crashed, it wasn't necessarily the cause of the problems.

Problems arise when there are no chipset drivers (none since Win 7 anyway)
motherboard - M5A78L-M LX - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX/HelpDesk_Download/
CPU - AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
RAM - 8gb (unknown maker)
GPU AMD Radoen?
what else?

Were you getting BSOD before the reinstall?

its interesting for sure, what programs do you have normally in startup as that only stops 3rd party apps from running, it doesn't stop drivers.

Thanks for the reply.

RAM is Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4Gb * 2
No heat problem.
I dont even have a GPU anymore. Its a work/entertainment PC now.
I have installed the chipset drivers from Asus website for Windows 8.1.
HDD - WD Blue 1 TB * 2
PSU - Seasonic ECO 600
No, I wasnt getting BSODs prior to the reinstall. Had iCue and everything. Now I have removed Malwarebytes as well. I suspected it was causing freezing.
Been running the pc for a few hours now and no BSOD so far.

Edit: It just crashed with a WHEA error. Edit2 : Now a System Service Exception

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cbg9vip194c332/Desktop.rar?dl=0

There are the things disable in msconfig:

Acrobat update service
WindscribeService

In startup, I have disabled GreedyTorrent.

But the thing is, I had many more programs including the ones above running without issues prior to the reinstall.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the 3 new dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://untrammelledgreyreefshark.htmlpasta.com/
File information:052520-37703-01.dmp (May 25 2020 - 00:54:55)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:052520-30843-01.dmp (May 25 2020 - 05:38:14)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 28 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:052520-29437-01.dmp (May 25 2020 - 05:08:51)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 44 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only software that normally causes whea errors aren't any of the ones you mentioned above. It is normally IO drivers that can alter values on hardware.
this is the only driver i see that would interface with motherboard
Nov 01 2012ASACPI.sysAsus Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
Try running autoruns and stop it loading with windows - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Note: WHEA stands for Windows Hardware Error Architecture.

Some of the main hardware problems which cause machine check exceptions include:

• System bus errors (error communicating between the processor and the motherboard)
  • Memory errors that may include parity and error correction code (ECC) problems. Error checking ensures that data is stored correctly in the RAM; if information is corrupted, then random errors occur.
  • Cache errors in the processor; the cache stores important data and code. If this is corrupted, errors often occur.
  • Poor voltage regulation (i.e. power supply problem, voltage regulator malfunction, capacitor degradation)
  • Damage due to power spikes
  • Static damage to the motherboard
  • Incorrect processor voltage setting in the BIOS (too low or too high)
  • Overclocking
  • Permanent motherboard or power supply damage caused by prior overclocking
  • Excessive temperature caused by insufficient airflow (possibly caused by fan failure or blockage of air inlet/outlet)
  • Improper BIOS initialization (the BIOS configuring the motherboard or CPU incorrectly)
  • Installation of a processor that is too much for your motherboard to handle (excessive power requirement, incompatibility)
  • Defective hardware that may be drawing excessive power or otherwise disrupting proper voltage regulation
I suggest you to follow the below troubleshooting:
  • Update the BIOS and the drivers for the motherboard chipset.
  • Update all the hardware drivers, if updates are available from your manufacturer.
  • Check the temperature inside the computer to make sure your processor and related peripherals are not overheating.
  • Check the fan on your CPU to make sure it is properly attached to the CPU.
  • If you have overclocked your CPU, reset your settings to the default settings.
  • Make sure you power supply fan is working correctly.

https://community.amd.com/thread/232625

I dont even have a GPU anymore. Its a work/entertainment PC now.

not sure how you doing that since the CPU needs a GPU to display an image, it doesn't have one onboard.
The AMD FX-6300 is a six-core processor with 3.5 GHz base clock speed and can go as far as 4.82 GHz with appropriate cooling. This series of AMD processors does not come with integrated graphics so you need to bundle a dedicated card for a complete package.

Jan 13 2015atikmdag.sysATI Radeon Kernel Mode driver
Jan 13 2015atikmpag.sysATI video card driver

PC thinks it has a GPU

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://burdensomeheight.htmlpasta.com/

File information:052620-31546-01.dmp (May 25 2020 - 18:24:56)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

I would run more hardware tests. Test your drives. Try CrystalDiskInfo and post the results here (Health Status).

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not sure if its hardware or a driver
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_CACHE on 2 of the WHEA makes me think its hardware/CPU
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_STRIDE could be drivers from little I found on it.

I only ask you to test ram as it can be any hardware and its as good a place as any to start.

There are the things disable in msconfig:

Acrobat update service
WindscribeService

What Brother printer do you have? The other programs unlikely to cause errors. but a printer maybe.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
The only software that normally causes whea errors aren't any of the ones you mentioned above. It is normally IO drivers that can alter values on hardware.
Try running autoruns and stop it loading with windows - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

not sure how you doing that since the CPU needs a GPU to display an image, it doesn't have one onboard.

PC thinks it has a GPU

I meant I don't have a dedicated GPU. I have run memtest already without errors for 12 hours.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
I am not sure if its hardware or a driver
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_CACHE on 2 of the WHEA makes me think its hardware/CPU
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_STRIDE could be drivers from little I found on it.

I only ask you to test ram as it can be any hardware and its as good a place as any to start.

What Brother printer do you have? The other programs unlikely to cause errors. but a printer maybe.

I have a brother HL 1201. But then again I had the same software prior to the reinstallation.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://burdensomeheight.htmlpasta.com/

File information:052620-31546-01.dmp (May 25 2020 - 18:24:56)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

I would run more hardware tests. Test your drives. Try CrystalDiskInfo and post the results here (Health Status).

The health status reads Good. The temperature 35c for both HDDs.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

PC thinks it has a GPU
Ran Autoruns disabled ASACPI. Still getting WHEA error.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
Update: Now I am getting WHEA Errors specifically after say 15 minutes I start copy pasting data from my External HDD ( Brand New WD Elements ) to my Internal HDDs. This issue didn't happen before the reinstall when I was transferring data from Internal to External HDD.

Edit: The PC ran flawlessly for 12 hours or so but now has frozen twice in quick succession. Please help.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Had you ever clean installed win 10 before this time? Was the previous install an upgrade from win 7?
Just wondering if the problem is caused by you not having the right drivers installed, win 10 won't let you install drivers that aren't for it, even if you try and get them on, it won't use them. But if you upgrade from win 7 to 10, it is happy to use the drivers.

WHEA can be any hardware, if they only occur when you copying to hdd it would seem logical it could be the device or a driver that is to blame (as I have seen whea caused by hdd drivers). Do you get whea errors if you d/c external hdd?

If you can give the reports each time it may show us more.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
Had you ever clean installed win 10 before this time? Was the previous install an upgrade from win 7?
Just wondering if the problem is caused by you not having the right drivers installed, win 10 won't let you install drivers that aren't for it, even if you try and get them on, it won't use them. But if you upgrade from win 7 to 10, it is happy to use the drivers.

WHEA can be any hardware, if they only occur when you copying to hdd it would seem logical it could be the device or a driver that is to blame (as I have seen whea caused by hdd drivers). Do you get whea errors if you d/c external hdd?

Yes. No. The previous install was a clean install. The install before that was an upgrade from Win 8.1. I am pretty sure, it's a driver. It can't be the hardware. Yes I do. But the PC is freezing more now. Rather than Whea.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

Which reports are you referring to ?