Question BSoDs, SSD not recognised after reboot (details inside)

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
I had a thread on this issue in past, and I thought I had solved it through rolling back all CPU overclocking settings in BIOS, but the issue has started reappearing, so the cause is apparently different.

When playing a simulation game I have installed, it begins to stutter, then freezes about 10-15 seconds later. If I manage to exit the simulation before it completely freezes, Windows then displays various BSoD errors (~80 percent of the time it's KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, but sometimes also SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION). After the PC reboots itself following these BSoD, it can't detect the SSD in BIOS, so I have to power the PC down and then start it again.

As it seems like at least the first of these error messages is due to something related to RAM/SSD, I have done some checks on them: chkdsk, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software, Windows Disk Manager and the SMART test via "wmic diskdrive get status" command all say my SSD is healthy; and Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool says the RAM is doing fine.

Last edited:

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
I tried running Driver Verifier and removed some drivers that were causing further BSoDs and freezes upon logging in to Windows, but it still didn't solve this problem.

Last edited:

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
I've also done the sfc /scannow scan, checked that all drivers are up-to-date, and done malware and virus scans. No issues detected anywhere. Windows page file is also set to automatic.

Last edited:

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
So I tried testing another game, a completely different one that puts more stress on CPU than GPU, etc, and after 3-4 sessions with no problems I just got the stutter, freeze and the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSoD.

Anyone with experience of having solved this super-annoying issue?

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
If not, can I have a guide on how to enable some kind of event logging that keeps the data dump after BSoDs, so I could see what exactly is failing?

Also, could there be something in BIOS settings that could be causing this?

Last edited:

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
So my thinking was that the fact that my SSD is not recognised after the BSoD and I need to manually power the PC down and then start it up again means it's something wrong with the SSD, not RAM. Is this a wrong assumption to make?

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Maybe there might be a driver conflict with your simulation game. I've had this problem with one of my computers would freeze after a while when playing Far Cry 5. Try another game and see if it have the same behavior.

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
So I just had another stutter, freeze and reboot (with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSoD) with no minidump file created in Windows/Minidumps. Do these additional details about a Kernel error in Event Viewer, from about when the issue happened, say anything relevant?

Last edited:

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
I just had another stutter and crash, without BSoD, but an error message I saw this time was of taskhostw.exe. Does this say anything important for troubleshooting my issue?