[SOLVED] BSOD's when CPU usage is at 100%

srbecker58

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Simply put, I am getting BSOD's (mostly IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), but also some others such as SYTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION caused by FLTMGR.SYS as well as another code REFERENCE_BY_POINTER. I have been thinking it was a driver issues, but I have gotten 3 or 4 new drivers from NVIDIA and the BSOD's continue. They occur, what seemed like at times of graphic processing such as rendering a model in Navisworks (AutoDesk product) or exporting raw files to JPEG from Lightroom. I however think I narrowed the issue down to CPU usage. Right before the crashes, I noticed the CPU fans speed up, so out of curiosity, I pulled up task manager and watched my peformance. When I clicked export in Lightroom, the CPU ramped up to 100% and a few seconds later, BSOD. I have tried running in Safe Mode which seems to run fine, but then again, I am not ramping up the CPU in safe mode. It also seems to run for days if I just dont touch it, but the instance I start testing the processor/graphics, I get BSOD's. Since I got my RMA memory back from G.Skill and ran a 24 hour test with 0 errors, I think I can rule out memory. What are the chances this is my CPU? Motherboard? Driver?

Computer Stats:
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
G. SKill 32gb Ram (4x8gb)
Western Digital 512gb M.2 SSD
Western Digital 2tb Black HD
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6gb SSC Gaming GPU
Corsair RMx750w PSU
Windows 10 Pro

I have Blue Screen View and can see items listed, but I honestly have no idea how to read those. I dont know how to pull or view dump files either, so if someone could help me post those, I will.

I have NO idea what to do or try next. Please, anyone with more knowledge that is able to help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Van, I replied to your message, but to answer your question here for others to see, I did resolve my issue.

As far as I can tell, my issue was resolved from one of 2 things.

1. I RMA'ed my CPU
  2. I reformatted and reinstalled windows (just to be sure once I got the new CPU)

After doing those two things, I have been running error free and at a normal CPU usage since.

srbecker58

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
I did, I upgraded to the latest BIOS that the Gigabyte support tech recommended I use. It was the most stable version for my specific processor. The newer versions don't affect my specific processor so he said there was no need to go to those.

srbecker58

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
I also just removed and reinstalled the CPU and heat sink with new thermal paste with no change. I attempted to run a Passmark Benchmark and it failed during the airplanes flying around test. I have the latest graphics driver directly from nvidia. I really don't think its RAM. I am not sure what drivers are left to check/update. I'm starting to think it is hardware related such as bad GPU or CPU.

PuperHacker

Honorable

Sounds like inadequate voltage. Set everything to auto in BIOS

srbecker58

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Run memtest86 with each stick individually your saying? I ran it for 24 hours with all 4 sticks installed with no errors. Will running it separately give me different results?

PuperHacker

Honorable

OK, then you should run with one stick at a time and see if the error happens again. Also try switching slots.

srbecker58

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
No errors on RAM, however I did run the scan now feature that found errors and repaired them via the online windows update. It does seem to be more stable so far, but I havent tested it much. I was able to complete a Passmark Benchmark test which I would blue screen when attempting prior to the scan now repair. I will keep you updated after further testing.

Oct 19, 2018
did you resolve this problem? i have the same problem when i'm rendering using my CPU, i'm using vray application to be exact. and BSOD only happens when I click render, then my CPU usage goes 100%,my PC will rendeer but for only like 10mins then it will go blue screen, i I also tried many test for my CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, HDD and SDD, but there's no problem with my hardwares,

i though the problem with my PC is my water cooling unit, since it will be like 3 years this december i think it can't handle the heat of my CPU and goes BSOD everytime i clicked render, i never tried to change my water cooling since i dont have yet the budget for that, when im using other application like autocad and sketchup BSOD dont appear since my CPU usage cant reach 100%.

sorry for my english :)

srbecker58

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Van, I replied to your message, but to answer your question here for others to see, I did resolve my issue.

As far as I can tell, my issue was resolved from one of 2 things.

1. I RMA'ed my CPU
  2. I reformatted and reinstalled windows (just to be sure once I got the new CPU)

After doing those two things, I have been running error free and at a normal CPU usage since.

Solution