[SOLVED] BSODs while gaming. Cannot figure out which PC part is causing the issue.

May 20, 2021
Hey there, I hope I can find help here because I am really starting to get desperate.

A couple of months ago I have assembled a new PC (but old GPU of course). I started getting BSODs from various games like FIFA 20, Apex Legends and now Doom Eternal (but not NBA 2K21 for some reason).

I tried many things like updating the newest drivers of various parts like the GPU also reverting it back. Finally, it tried a couple of different BIOS updates and later installed an older one. During that same time I also uninstalled a Focusrite thunderbolt driver (because I do not have such ports). After that it seems to have been fixed.

The issue has started once again after some time. I am getting these random BSODs and it sometimes comes quite often while sometimes it takes a while.

From the hardware side I already tried these things back when BSODs started happening in the beginning:
  1. Switched to different RAM
  2. Switched to different GPU
  3. Installed games to other SSDs and M.2 SSDs.
There are also some things I cannot afford to do:
  1. Switch CPU
  2. Switch Motherboard
  3. Reinstall Windows.
Still the crashes happened. Also some tech guys that assembled the PC also did various strest tests and it never crashed. It only seems to happen with games so far.

I am also posting some info that you might need:
PC Specs:
GPU
Geforce 1070 GTX
Motherboard:
MSI X570 Unify
PSU:
Corsair RM850
Other:
View: https://imgur.com/a/1AzOtKy

I also tried to use the Bluescreen viewer but did not understand much, or how to export it online. Here are some screenshots, let me know if I am on the right track:
View: https://imgur.com/a/1AzOtKy

I would really appreciate your help, because I do not know where else to turn to. Also if you need me to provide anything just let me know, I will try my best to figure out how to do it!

Last edited:
Solution
So I tested the PC for some time and the crashes became even weirder. I had a couple crashes not even playing the game. Just simply browsing or watching youtube.

I am starting to have a feeling that it might actually be the CPU.

Does anybody know any ways to test the CPU? Is there something you can do besides stress tests? Because the people assembling the PC did those.
The only things you can check for are bent pins, you can also check for any corrosion on the pins if any. The motherboard and CPU are usually a diagnosis of exclusion. Meaning if the problem is not all the other parts, it must be either the CPU or motherboard.
May 20, 2021
Thanks fore replying ! I have updated the thread with the PSU (Corsair RM850 ). By the way I had this PSU in another computer and it was fine.
What I meant by cannot afford reinstalling windows is simply because I already did it recently and I work with a lot of sound plugins. And reinstalling everything again really takes a toll on my work and projects. It would take my countless hours and I really do not want to do that unless I can be certain that windows is the problem (which probably it isn't)

May 20, 2021
Have you updated BIOS to the latest non-beta version?

Hi,

I have tried 3 different BIOS versions. The newest one, then the beta one. And then an older one. It seems like when installed the A7 (older one it seemed fine for a couple of weeks) but then started happening again. But I cannot be sure it stopped because the BIOS firmware.

Hi,

I have tried 3 different BIOS versions. The newest one, then the beta one. And then an older one. It seems like when installed the A7 (older one it seemed fine for a couple of weeks) but then started happening again. But I cannot be sure it stopped because the BIOS firmware.
Reflash the latest BIOS. You can also do some corruption checking in windows. Open up CMD as an admin. Type; sfc /scannow
Report back what the scan says and we can go from there.

May 20, 2021
Reflash the latest BIOS. You can also do some corruption checking in windows. Open up CMD as an admin. Type; sfc /scannow
Report back what the scan says and we can go from there.

The latest BIOS update did not help.

Actually, I just did that SFC check as I saw it somewhere else.
It said it found some corrupt files and fixed it. It generated some CBS file which I am not sure what it is.

I am thinking of how to upload it here. It is txt file.

EDIT:

I found how to upload it here:
https://www.file.io/download/MfEBnDUGUYQZ

May 20, 2021
I just played some NBA 2k21 and the PC crashed. I played probably a 100 matches with no crash before and this is the first time it crashed on this game. Truly strange

May 20, 2021
Ok, so the RAM IS Kingston Hyperx HX432C16FB3A/16 (2 of these)

However, I already switched from other RAM when I had this issue to this RAM. So It is most likely not a RAM issue. Unless it would be 2 different company faulty RAM.

BTW. I just played Doom Eternal for about an hour. I did not experience any crashes.

What I did before playing is switched to another monitor. Do you think this is a coincidence?

Is it possible that the issue could be related to the monitor? I am not sure how it could be.

Taking into account that I tried with a different GPU and it was the same. However, the monitors are different. Both are DELL but one can only do 60 FPS (the one I switched to) and my main one can do up to 165 fps. I tried to turn on and off the Gsync but it did not seem like it was the issue. Also tried 144 hz as well. Lastly, I know that with my previous PC (but with the same GPU) I did experience issues with the Display port. It seemed like when I switched to the Display port option on the card/monitor then the monitor would start to turn off eventually. Like it was not handling it or something (or the port). Though this might be not related at all to the actual port since I did try on another GPU.

However, would it be possible that the FPS count can somehow crash the whole PC? I mean if one monitor can do higher FPS and that eventually crashes it somehow.

I am confused even more. I think I will need to try to play some more games on that other monitor. Because I cannot be certain. Sometimes I played for a few hours with no crashes even on the main monitor.

Ok, so the RAM IS Kingston Hyperx HX432C16FB3A/16 (2 of these)

However, I already switched from other RAM when I had this issue to this RAM. So It is most likely not a RAM issue. Unless it would be 2 different company faulty RAM.

BTW. I just played Doom Eternal for about an hour. I did not experience any crashes.

What I did before playing is switched to another monitor. Do you think this is a coincidence?

Is it possible that the issue could be related to the monitor? I am not sure how it could be.

Taking into account that I tried with a different GPU and it was the same. However, the monitors are different. Both are DELL but one can only do 60 FPS (the one I switched to) and my main one can do up to 165 fps. I tried to turn on and off the Gsync but it did not seem like it was the issue. Also tried 144 hz as well. Lastly, I know that with my previous PC (but with the same GPU) I did experience issues with the Display port. It seemed like when I switched to the Display port option on the card/monitor then the monitor would start to turn off eventually. Like it was not handling it or something (or the port). Though this might be not related at all to the actual port since I did try on another GPU.

However, would it be possible that the FPS count can somehow crash the whole PC? I mean if one monitor can do higher FPS and that eventually crashes it somehow.

I am confused even more. I think I will need to try to play some more games on that other monitor. Because I cannot be certain. Sometimes I played for a few hours with no crashes even on the main monitor.
The higher Hz monitor is more demanding than the lesser Hz monitor, therefore it puts more stress on the system's resources. That could easily cause more issues.

May 20, 2021
Thanks, makes sense.

So the question I guess still remains that even if it depends on the Hz then which part causes the issue. Also the games have various system requirements so some of them should crash even on the other monitor.

The strangest thing is that it does not crash on stress tests.

I would go over your RAM again to make sure you diagnosed properly, skip if you have already done what I am about to detail. Try each RAM stick individually in each slot, or run memtest for at least 4 passes with zero failures.

Check Hwinfo for CPU and GPU temperatures. If listed also check VRM temperatures, and the chipset temperature.

Check the CPU for any bent pins that you can see as well. You will have to remount and repaste but if it is the CPU its going to be a head scratcher for a long time.

Download and run crystal disk mark for your drive to see if any of them are having issues.

Since we can basically rule out the motherboard, GPU, and RAM (particularly if it gets through memtest after 4 full passes) then we are only left with a few components to test;
PSU
CPU
System Drives
CPU cooler (if its an AIO check for leaks or evidence that it leaked in the past)

If none of these things have any issues we can find through testing there must be some sort of software or driver error or incompatibility. A good place to start is to check reliability history or event viewer.

May 20, 2021
So I tested the PC for some time and the crashes became even weirder. I had a couple crashes not even playing the game. Just simply browsing or watching youtube.

Does anybody know any ways to test the CPU? Is there something you can do besides stress tests? Because the people assembling the PC did those.

The only things you can check for are bent pins, you can also check for any corrosion on the pins if any. The motherboard and CPU are usually a diagnosis of exclusion. Meaning if the problem is not all the other parts, it must be either the CPU or motherboard.

Solution