Question BSODs Win10 on new computer 1903

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Hi guys, I've recently put together this computer and I've been having different BSODs ever since, sometimes being
multiple days apart. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Juviole/saved/#view=9KCV7P

I've run both memtest86 and the memory diagnostics tool, I've reinstalled Win10, I have scanned my hard drive, I have
installed the chipset drivers for my motherboard, I've used DDU to get rid of and install the GPU drivers again - frankly, I am out of ideas
and I have no idea how to fix this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Eca0_8Yp9Y9TGf9yfmsN_lnu2kTBCY7Y

These are the two minidumps I have, one being for a Kernel Mode Heap Corruption BSOD and the other for a Kernel Security Check Failure.

I'd highly appreciate any and all help.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
On Sat 07/09/2019 17:39:16 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090719-13531-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x0000000000000002)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFAD066C2B3009, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80009C3F000, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Sat 07/09/2019 17:39:16 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x0000000000000002)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFAD066C2B3009, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80009C3F000, 0x2)
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Sat 07/09/2019 17:26:58 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090719-10359-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: xboxgip.sys (0xFFFFF8055A23F000)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFD18FBF5AB009, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8055A23F000, 0x2)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\xboxgip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Game Input Protocol Driver
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 07/09/2019 17:25:38 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090719-10750-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: xboxgip.sys (0xFFFFF8098ECFEE60)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF990E3B193000, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8098ECFEE60, 0x2)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\xboxgip.sys
description: Game Input Protocol Driver
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 05/09/2019 22:05:31 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090519-7812-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C10A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x13A (0x12, 0xFFFF868FBC010100, 0xFFFF868FD7299000, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the kernel mode heap manager has detected corruption in a heap.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Some guides suggested using driver verifier which I did, that's where the "page fault in nonpaged area" BSOD came from when I had my xbox one controller plugged in, which stopped occurring when I stopped using it - turning driver verifier off also stopped this from happening when I used the controller.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
2 blame xbox drivers which is fun, as i think they built into windows

I will ask a friend to convert dumps and we see what other drivers are running as well.

Yeah lol, not a lot I can do about that one given that I've updated windows as much as possible and it's a fresh install. One of the memory dumps doesn't seem to be readable as it's a 0kb file but I hope the others give some clue as to what could be the problem. I've looked at the event viewer system logs and none of it really spoke to me - I'm way of out my element here so thanks for the help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have latest BIOS for motherboard?
is ram on motherboard QLV list?
how many passes of each stick did you do on memtest?

IS win 10 fully up to date?
what version are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Do you have latest BIOS for motherboard?
is ram on motherboard QLV list?
how many passes of each stick did you do on memtest?

IS win 10 fully up to date?
what version are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903

Second latest, as the most recent version said "BETA, don't update unless necessary". Just saw that there's a new version out without that warning - I'll update it then. It's on the list, I did 4 passes each as was suggested in all the other threads looking for RAM problems.

It's 1903, fully updated.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the valid dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/WlpD.html

File information:090519-7812-01.dmp (Sep 5 2019 - 16:05:31)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION (13A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

The following dump file was 0 bytes long which means it's invalid:
090719-5296-01.dmp

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-GAMING-PLUS
There is a BIOS update available for your system (v1.9). You have v1.8 installed. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that error mentions DirectX in the dump page, 9 out of 10 times its DirectX its actually the gpu drivers

You appear to have the latest. maybe run this and try different drivers instead - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ - could try windows update instead of AMD as they may have more stable drivers. Both still from AMD, microsoft just uses older drivers in most cases.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
that error mentions DirectX in the dump page, 9 out of 10 times its DirectX its actually the gpu drivers

You appear to have the latest. maybe run this and try different drivers instead - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ - could try windows update instead of AMD as they may have more stable drivers. Both still from AMD, microsoft just uses older drivers in most cases.

Right, I have rolled back to the version before the current one - though the latest version was released only three days ago and I'm positive my first BSOD was before that. I can't verify for certain if this changes anything and I'm kind of hesitant to go back even further as support for the RX 5700 does get worse the further back you go with the drivers.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019

On Sat 07/09/2019 21:15:07 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090719-7312-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF804276AC837)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFE309DD2000A4, 0x0, 0xFFFFF804276AC837, 0x2)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0346134.inf_amd64_fba44214d7b32915\B346122\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I got another BSOD. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zrzqza1d9QpFIZdgp7GwjHdpIp6oFEnj

It seems to be -more- likely to happen when I use my second monitor so I'll keep that off for the time being. This one directly mentions the AMD driver so maybe I should go back to the current one?

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/qvms.html

File information:090719-13531-01.dmp (Sep 7 2019 - 11:39:16)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_9845e001`b9427c82
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems to be -more- likely to happen when I use my second monitor so I'll keep that off for the time being. This one directly mentions the AMD driver so maybe I should go back to the current one?
You could try them

the dump that mentions Directx has - DxgkEngColorFillViaGDI - which to me makes it sound like a graphical function.

I am only checking as directX used to be used for game controllers as well but I believe it no longer is. I only mention it as you were getting Xbox errors as well and it made me wonder if this is one of the few occasions the directX reference isn't the GPU drivers. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/xinput/xinput-and-directinput

but I think its the GPU drivers still. Need more dumps to be more certain. The last dump gardenman converted is corrupted and no use to anyone (not his fault), so I cannot be sure.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
You could try them

the dump that mentions Directx has - DxgkEngColorFillViaGDI - which to me makes it sound like a graphical function.

I am only checking as directX used to be used for game controllers as well but I believe it no longer is. I only mention it as you were getting Xbox errors as well and it made me wonder if this is one of the few occasions the directX reference isn't the GPU drivers. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/xinput/xinput-and-directinput

but I think its the GPU drivers still. Need more dumps to be more certain. The last dump gardenman converted is corrupted and no use to anyone (not his fault), so I cannot be sure.
I don't know what happened with that one dump. I'll update once or if it happens again.
EDIT : Been using my PC decently much today with no BSOD, went back to the most recent AMD driver. I once lost connection to my monitor and it wouldn't show anything until I restarted my PC.. things are still a bit wonky.

Last edited:

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Just as I edit my previous comment, I get another one.

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Sun 08/09/2019 22:29:06 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090819-5062-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C10A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80761A433D6, 0xFFFFDE803F5ED930, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WhZB41s3kxeFhGxJKlIEu2VI4skDOEgr

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Q9TI.html

File information:090819-5062-01.dmp (Sep 8 2019 - 16:29:06)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: LeagueClientUxRender.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 36 Min(s), and 19 Sec(s)

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Alright, it is back.

On Tue 10/09/2019 19:42:21 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (FLTMGR!FltDecodeParameters+0x11E8)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFA17D, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800372433D6)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

The dump file is once again corrupted though, it only shows me a 0kb file.

I've also had issues with booting, as sometimes my screen freezes on the login screen which requires me to restart once or twice.

sfc /scannow found corrupted files but couldn't fix it. Then I ran
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and afterwards sfc /scannow reported no corruption found. I have zero clues if this actually did anything, though. The CBS log contained a lot of

9bba05c2e61f0eb033787443cde80f44}.
2019-09-10 19:48:01, Info CSI 0000018a [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file \??\C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Defender\\MSFT_MpThreatCatalog.cdxml; source file in store is also corrupted
2019-09-10 19:48:01, Info CSI 0000018b Hashes for file member [l:28]'MSFT_MpThreatDetection.cdxml' do not match.

for this timeframe.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
if sfc found no problems after dism, it means dism did what its meant to do and fixed it.

fltmgr.sys iis part of windows, its the filter manager, errors relating to that can be drivers or abad hardware.

SInce a BSOD blamed to AMD GPU Drivers before, did you ever run DDU and try older drivers than what you currently have?

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ (hopefully you can understand this without need for pictures, we in process of fixing them)

Colif

Win 11 Master
ok, sorry. i see that now...

IRQ errors are normally drivers, can be ram... since we know its not the speed, I am not going there again. ALthough, you could run memtest on it just to make sticks are okay.

memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

All your drivers look okay, none are ancient and obvious

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD (main reason iis minidumps are a max size of a few mb, Memory.dmp can be several gb. Too big for people to download)

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

I would suggest running this and we get the driver to show itself. If you don't bsod after 8 hours of running this, we have to look at other causes apart from drivers. Look at post 2 here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Right, I turned on small memory dumps. When we were talking about the RAM timings, I took another look at the QVL list for my motherboard and realized the RAM I had wasn't actually on the list so I went ahead and exchanged it for a set of 3200Mhz RAM that is on the list. I'm inclined to believe that it's unlikely I get two sets of bad RAM in a row? Though I'm a bit confused cause setting the A-XMP profile in the BIOS that says 3200Mhz leaves me at different timings and RAM speed as per CPU-Z than the ones in the profile.

I'll run driver verifier then.