Question BSODs with different codes, always happens suddenly ?

Apr 16, 2022
Hello guys,

I have a PC running Windows 10 and sometimes it gets BSoDs, like once per a month or two. It happens very suddenly and I can't understand the reason, that's why I'm really frustrated. I don't use overclocking or down-volting for any component of my PC. I have the following error codes:

• MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (most often)
  • DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (pretty often, but it does not mention which driver is problematic!!!)
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (quite often)
  • UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (just once, this is the most recent one, occured in February 2022).
I ran built-in memory test feature in a standard mode and it displayed that I have 0 errors. However, my predict is that the reason is my system SSD, as I bought it just for a few dollars, and CrystalDiskInfo says that it has 92% of health (my another SSD has 99% of health). And also I think that the reason is SSD because the last error code were related to storage, and at least one of the errors were mentioning SysMain which is for interaction between RAM and storage.

Please write any suppositions, as I really don't know why such errors appears!! I can provide any additional info yous will ask. I've really asked almost everyone about the BSoDs I have.

And Windows never says what driver causes errors. And the driver names does not appear in BlueScreenView or Event Viewer.

My PC specifications:

• System Manufacturer: MSI
  • OS - Windows 10 version number 2004 (19041.388)
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)? x64 (64-bit)
  • What was original installed OS on system? Nope, my PC had no OS when I bought it, and also I was reinstalling Win10 once.
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Full retail version (I purchased it from retailer)
  • Age of the computer (hardware) 1,5 year (since August 2020)
  • Age of OS installation - and whether you have re-installed the OS Reinstalled it less than a year ago, in November 2021. Previously installed in August 2020.
  • Laptop or Desktop computer? Desktop computer
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • Video Card Gigabyte GTX 1650
  • MotherBoard MSI A320M A PRO
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage Aerocool 450W ECO
  • RAM: Corsair Vengenance RGB PRO 32 GB (16x2).
  • SSDs: Apacer 128GB (system SSD), Goodram CX400 1TB (additional SSD)
  • HDD: ADATA HD330 1TB (external HDD)
  • Fans: 2 Aerocool 120mm fans for the case, and CoolerMaster fan for the CPU. My CPU does not get overheat, but I did never change thermal interface of it.
  • Case: something by Aerocool, not really sure if that's important, but I can find the model name if that's important.
If I wrote in the wrong section, I'm sorry. And if I forgot to mention/attach something please let me know and I'll do it. I really want to get rid of the BSoDs. Thank you, and have a good day :)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

how old is the 128gb ssd?
can you run hdtune trial on it - https://www.hdtune.com/ - and look at health tab. Might as well look at all drives while you there

someone would need to look at the error codes associated with each bugcheck. for example if the error code indicates an access violation.
and the problem is pretty rare then you might just have your memory timings too tight. The memory chip timings depend on how many slots you have populated on your motherboard and the distance the slot is from the CPU. With some motherboards you have to slow down the tiimings if you fully populate the slots or use the slots further from the CPU. for these cases you may find that changing your bios memory timing for the command rate from 1N or 1T to 2t or 2n (depending on the motherboard) the command rate indicates how long in clock cycles it takes the RAM controllers electronics for its address lines to access memory address to become stable. Motherboard vendors generally use 1 clock cycle but sometimes really need 2 or they can sometimes read the bits before they are fully set. This causes drivers to read the wrong memory address and get a access violation.

generally, the only test that really detects this problem would be long run of memtest86 . other test do not find this type of problem unless it is really bad and happens a lot.

again, since you said it happens rarely. This is a rare type event,
There are other more common causes but they tend to happen after 8 hours of system up time.

the store excepting could be this type of problem or sometimes with a old windows 7 driver that hacks windows components. now that windows compresses and stores these in memory the windows 7 driver writes uncompressed data on top of a compressed file in memory and really messes up the driver when windows tries to later load it. if it it a memory timing issue this bugcheck most likely show single bit corruptions. if it is a driver it will show large corruptions in the minidump file.

Apr 16, 2022
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
how old is the 128gb ssd?
can you run hdtune trial on it - https://www.hdtune.com/ - and look at health tab. Might as well look at all drives while you there

Hi Colif :)

Here are all minidumps I have: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmDppgtPr2bNxWO_LNahHbShhO9X. I don't have the MEMORY.DMP (full dump file) file, I deleted it because it had a size of few gigabytes and my system SSD is really small. Yes I had just 3 BSoDs since I've re-installed my Windows 10, but they always appear really suddenly so I was really frustrated and scared that the BSoDs may go into a more serious problem, because I paid a lot for this machine and it would be hard to repair it.

I bought my SSD in August 2020, it was brand new back then. However, it was really cheap, I paid just $40 for this one (not sure about the exchange rate as it has been changed and in my country we don't use USD to pay).

My SSD has 92% of health, CrystalDiskMark and Hard Disk Sentinel says the same. Also Hard Disk Sentinel says that this storage should handle more 1000+ days of usage.

someone would need to look at the error codes associated with each bugcheck. for example if the error code indicates an access violation.
and the problem is pretty rare then you might just have your memory timings too tight. The memory chip timings depend on how many slots you have populated on your motherboard and the distance the slot is from the CPU. With some motherboards you have to slow down the tiimings if you fully populate the slots or use the slots further from the CPU. for these cases you may find that changing your bios memory timing for the command rate from 1N or 1T to 2t or 2n (depending on the motherboard) the command rate indicates how long in clock cycles it takes the RAM controllers electronics for its address lines to access memory address to become stable. Motherboard vendors generally use 1 clock cycle but sometimes really need 2 or they can sometimes read the bits before they are fully set. This causes drivers to read the wrong memory address and get a access violation.

generally, the only test that really detects this problem would be long run of memtest86 . other test do not find this type of problem unless it is really bad and happens a lot.

again, since you said it happens rarely. This is a rare type event,
There are other more common causes but they tend to happen after 8 hours of system up time.

the store excepting could be this type of problem or sometimes with a old windows 7 driver that hacks windows components. now that windows compresses and stores these in memory the windows 7 driver writes uncompressed data on top of a compressed file in memory and really messes up the driver when windows tries to later load it. if it it a memory timing issue this bugcheck most likely show single bit corruptions. if it is a driver it will show large corruptions in the minidump file.

Hi johnbl :),

I've uploaded the minidumps just now, here's the link https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmDppgtPr2bNxWO_LNahHbShhO9X.

I did not try anything related to timings/XMP/all that stuff in my BIOS. I can try various things (just like you suggested) or do enable a XMP profile, but I'm afraid that could be dangerous for the PC. I mean, is there a chance that my PC will become a brick after I'll do something incorrect related to the timings, and the error will be uncorrectable?

I did not use the memtest86 program, I was using the built-in program by Microsoft and it found 0 errors. Well, if memtest86 is way more useful than it, I guess I should try it. How long the memory scanning proccess would take? Because I use my PC everyday and it would be really bad if memtest86 needs 6+ hours to scan my RAM.

Yes, BSoDs appears pretty rare, but like I said, this happens very suddenly, that's why they make me scared. I use my PC for 8+ hours everyday, but BSoDs happen not really often (I had just 3 BSoDs since I've re-installed my Windows, which was in November). And also I wanted to say that I shut down or reboot my PC very rarely, I prefer to use the Sleeping mode. Could it be related to issues I have?

And what about drivers... I use updated drivers for everything, I use MSI Center program for general drivers, iCUE for RAM-related drivers(? or something like this, I don't get it), NVIDIA GeForce Experience for graphic card drivers, and some software by AMD for drivers downloading too. But I have a Wi-Fi+Bluetooth adapter I don't use official driver for. That's because the default driver makes thing work really bad, my adapter were not able to use 5 GHz Wi-Fi and connection with Bluetooth headphones was a real madness, the sound was just disappearing every 2-3 seconds. I tried to download drivers from the official manufacturer's website but the downloading speed was really slow, just like 128 bytes per second, and after a few minutes of downloading the connection just got aborted. Later then, I tried to update Wi-Fi+Bluetooth drivers via Windows Update Centre, but after than Wi-Fi just disappeared (the system started to think that my adapter is for Bluetooth only, and even in the device manager the adapter was recognized as Bluetooth only). So I had to download general drivers for Realtek Wi-Fi+Bluetooth, which is used in my adapter by Comfast, somewhere from the web, and everything went fine. But I believe there's a chance that it could be related to BSoDs somehow, because I experience a strange behaviour of this adapter time by time. Sometimes connection between Bluetooth adapter and my headphones becomes a mess, sound started to disappear few times per a minute and the sound is generally dirty, I fix it by unplugging and plugging my adapter, and then everything works normally, until a few days this mess starts to appear again.

Sorry for my bad English, hope you understand what did I say. :)

Hi Colif :)

Here are all minidumps I have: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmDppgtPr2bNxWO_LNahHbShhO9X. I don't have the MEMORY.DMP (full dump file) file, I deleted it because it had a size of few gigabytes and my system SSD is really small. Yes I had just 3 BSoDs since I've re-installed my Windows 10, but they always appear really suddenly so I was really frustrated and scared that the BSoDs may go into a more serious problem, because I paid a lot for this machine and it would be hard to repair it.

I bought my SSD in August 2020, it was brand new back then. However, it was really cheap, I paid just $40 for this one (not sure about the exchange rate as it has been changed and in my country we don't use USD to pay).

My SSD has 92% of health, CrystalDiskMark and Hard Disk Sentinel says the same. Also Hard Disk Sentinel says that this storage should handle more 1000+ days of usage.

Hi johnbl :),

I've uploaded the minidumps just now, here's the link https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmDppgtPr2bNxWO_LNahHbShhO9X.

I did not try anything related to timings/XMP/all that stuff in my BIOS. I can try various things (just like you suggested) or do enable a XMP profile, but I'm afraid that could be dangerous for the PC. I mean, is there a chance that my PC will become a brick after I'll do something incorrect related to the timings, and the error will be uncorrectable?

I did not use the memtest86 program, I was using the built-in program by Microsoft and it found 0 errors. Well, if memtest86 is way more useful than it, I guess I should try it. How long the memory scanning proccess would take? Because I use my PC everyday and it would be really bad if memtest86 needs 6+ hours to scan my RAM.

Yes, BSoDs appears pretty rare, but like I said, this happens very suddenly, that's why they make me scared. I use my PC for 8+ hours everyday, but BSoDs happen not really often (I had just 3 BSoDs since I've re-installed my Windows, which was in November). And also I wanted to say that I shut down or reboot my PC very rarely, I prefer to use the Sleeping mode. Could it be related to issues I have?

And what about drivers... I use updated drivers for everything, I use MSI Center program for general drivers, iCUE for RAM-related drivers(? or something like this, I don't get it), NVIDIA GeForce Experience for graphic card drivers, and some software by AMD for drivers downloading too. But I have a Wi-Fi+Bluetooth adapter I don't use official driver for. That's because the default driver makes thing work really bad, my adapter were not able to use 5 GHz Wi-Fi and connection with Bluetooth headphones was a real madness, the sound was just disappearing every 2-3 seconds. I tried to download drivers from the official manufacturer's website but the downloading speed was really slow, just like 128 bytes per second, and after a few minutes of downloading the connection just got aborted. Later then, I tried to update Wi-Fi+Bluetooth drivers via Windows Update Centre, but after than Wi-Fi just disappeared (the system started to think that my adapter is for Bluetooth only, and even in the device manager the adapter was recognized as Bluetooth only). So I had to download general drivers for Realtek Wi-Fi+Bluetooth, which is used in my adapter by Comfast, somewhere from the web, and everything went fine. But I believe there's a chance that it could be related to BSoDs somehow, because I experience a strange behaviour of this adapter time by time. Sometimes connection between Bluetooth adapter and my headphones becomes a mess, sound started to disappear few times per a minute and the sound is generally dirty, I fix it by unplugging and plugging my adapter, and then everything works normally, until a few days this mess starts to appear again.

Sorry for my bad English, hope you understand what did I say. :)
looked at the current bugcheck. the system was up for 25 days 15 hours
the system needed some page file space so it decided to free up some standby memroy. (programs loaded into ram that you have run in the past but have not asked to run. then paged out to the hard drive so if you ask to run it, it will load very fast. Any way, the system needed some pagefile space so it decided to delete some entry in the standby list. when It did this if found the page file entry was corrupted so it called a bugcheck.
I would do this: boot windows, clean up drive space, remove temp files, and empty the recycle bin. then I would go into windows control panel, find where they set the page file and turn off virtual memory and reboot and turn it back on. This should dump the current hidden c:\pagefile.sys
now boot into bios and leave the system powered on but not running windows for a hour or two. this will give the ssd time to run the firmware to do drive cleanup. after a hour or two, boot into windows use a program like crystaldiskinfo.exe to check the firmware version of your drive and see if you can get a firmware update.
you can also download and run rammap.exe from here:
RAMMap - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
look on the menu options for something that indicates EMPTY
and select each of these options and it will clear your standby list. The same thing that triggered the bugcheck in the first place. Hopefully it will not bugcheck again.
you might find that you do not want to have a pagefile.sys on a small SSD drive. you can put it on the larger one only. you want to have free space on ssd drives since they have limited write endurance. (3000 times and per memory location and the memory location gets marked bad and the drive firmware has to copy it to a working memory location, and the size of your solid state drive kind of shrinks.

Apr 16, 2022
looked at the current bugcheck. the system was up for 25 days 15 hours
the system needed some page file space so it decided to free up some standby memroy. (programs loaded into ram that you have run in the past but have not asked to run. then paged out to the hard drive so if you ask to run it, it will load very fast. Any way, the system needed some pagefile space so it decided to delete some entry in the standby list. when It did this if found the page file entry was corrupted so it called a bugcheck.
I would do this: boot windows, clean up drive space, remove temp files, and empty the recycle bin. then I would go into windows control panel, find where they set the page file and turn off virtual memory and reboot and turn it back on. This should dump the current hidden c:\pagefile.sys
now boot into bios and leave the system powered on but not running windows for a hour or two. this will give the ssd time to run the firmware to do drive cleanup. after a hour or two, boot into windows use a program like crystaldiskinfo.exe to check the firmware version of your drive and see if you can get a firmware update.
you can also download and run rammap.exe from here:
RAMMap - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
look on the menu options for something that indicates EMPTY
and select each of these options and it will clear your standby list. The same thing that triggered the bugcheck in the first place. Hopefully it will not bugcheck again.
you might find that you do not want to have a pagefile.sys on a small SSD drive. you can put it on the larger one only. you want to have free space on ssd drives since they have limited write endurance. (3000 times and per memory location and the memory location gets marked bad and the drive firmware has to copy it to a working memory location, and the size of your solid state drive kind of shrinks.
Thank you for your message! :) I think I have already cleaned temp files recently, I just opened C:\Windows\Temp and removed files I had there. I also removed software I don't use anymore. However, now I have just 29,2 GB of free storage, and I aint exactly sure why there's not a lot of free space. I guess I can try to clean the another Temp folder, which is something like AppData/Temp if I remember this right, but I am not sure if that's safe to do this.

About booting into BIOS... So what I should to do is remove temp files from my storage, disable virtual memory and then just boot into BIOS? So I'll just need to open the BIOS menu without doing anything else, and the SSD will run a cleanup in a background mode?

My pagefile.sys is on my small system drive, but Windows automatically selected this storage. Will not be there anything bad if I'll change the pagefile.sys location now?

I've downloaded the RAMMAP just now. Just like you said, I clicked on all buttons in the "Empty" menu. And now task manager says that I use 6,9 GB of 32 GB of RAM, prior to that I was using something like 11,5 GB. Sorry, did not remember the exact value. However, my explorer.exe got restarted after I did that. Is this normal? And also I'm sorry but I did not understand what did I do just now, I just freed some unnecessary RAM, and doing this regularly could help prevent BSoDs?

And also I don't understand... Having a pagefile.sys file on my small system SSD could be dangerous, as I'll have less free storage day by day? I never thought of that, this sounds like the reason of why my SSD has 92% of health. My another SSD has 99% of health.

Thank you for your message! :) I think I have already cleaned temp files recently, I just opened C:\Windows\Temp and removed files I had there. I also removed software I don't use anymore. However, now I have just 29,2 GB of free storage, and I aint exactly sure why there's not a lot of free space. I guess I can try to clean the another Temp folder, which is something like AppData/Temp if I remember this right, but I am not sure if that's safe to do this.

About booting into BIOS... So what I should to do is remove temp files from my storage, disable virtual memory and then just boot into BIOS? So I'll just need to open the BIOS menu without doing anything else, and the SSD will run a cleanup in a background mode?

My pagefile.sys is on my small system drive, but Windows automatically selected this storage. Will not be there anything bad if I'll change the pagefile.sys location now?

I've downloaded the RAMMAP just now. Just like you said, I clicked on all buttons in the "Empty" menu. And now task manager says that I use 6,9 GB of 32 GB of RAM, prior to that I was using something like 11,5 GB. Sorry, did not remember the exact value. However, my explorer.exe got restarted after I did that. Is this normal? And also I'm sorry but I did not understand what did I do just now, I just freed some unnecessary RAM, and doing this regularly could help prevent BSoDs?

And also I don't understand... Having a pagefile.sys file on my small system SSD could be dangerous, as I'll have less free storage day by day? I never thought of that, this sounds like the reason of why my SSD has 92% of health. My another SSD has 99% of health.
the drive normally will start its firmware clean up process 5 minutes after the drive is idle. going into bios provides power and does not use the drive so the firmware has a easy time fixing its drive. older /smaller/cheaper have firmware bugs and do no reserve a bunch of drive space to do the reallocation of blocks as the die.

you can look at the standby files, it can be games or programs you have not used in months being loaded behind active memory. kind of like using your ram as a cache or prefetcher for the cpu. most likely your system is pretty stable. something was using pagefile space so the memory manager started to clean up the standby list and that triggered the problem.

you don't need to clean up the app data temp files. run cleanmgr.exe
and it will run the system cleanup tool.

there are other things you can do to cleanup file but you just need 10 or 20 gb free

Apr 16, 2022
the drive normally will start its firmware clean up process 5 minutes after the drive is idle. going into bios provides power and does not use the drive so the firmware has a easy time fixing its drive. older /smaller/cheaper have firmware bugs and do no reserve a bunch of drive space to do the reallocation of blocks as the die.

you can look at the standby files, it can be games or programs you have not used in months being loaded behind active memory. kind of like using your ram as a cache or prefetcher for the cpu. most likely your system is pretty stable. something was using pagefile space so the memory manager started to clean up the standby list and that triggered the problem.

you don't need to clean up the app data temp files. run cleanmgr.exe
and it will run the system cleanup tool.

there are other things you can do to cleanup file but you just need 10 or 20 gb free
I opened the "Processes" tab in RAMMAP, but I don't think it's very useful for now, because I freed some RAM recently, just like you said. Here's a screenshot of programs which use more standby memory than others. It looks like here's nothing special.

aae4dccf150043b518fa792241dbfab5.png

Could the BSoDs be occured by a driver which used some of my ram "as a cache or prefetcher for the cpu"? And if so, is it possible to easy find which driver was it? I mean, are drivers listed in this tab too?

I have 29,2 GB of SSD free. I was using cleanmgr.exe in before too, I guess I should clean cache of my browser too.

So if I get your message right, I don't have reasons to be really worried about as for now?

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not so much that its dangerous or causes any harm to ssd, but it makes sense to have page file on 1tb drive as opposed to a 128gb one as the 1tb drive has more space. It will free up space on the 128gb drive.
with 32gb of ram its likely never used anyway. I have 32gb but page file is only 5gb in size as I have never used all my ram so its never needed to be any bigger. Still makes sense to have on 1tb drive.

I would actually just install windows on the 1tb drive to give Windows space to grow, how old is the 128gb drive?
software isn't perfect when it comes to guessing ssd health. I wouldn't rely on it lasting another 3 years, it might but I would at least have backups just in case one day PC just can't see it at startup.
I would trust a 99% health drive more than a 92% one.

Rammap doesn't show drivers.
Drivers mostly run in non paged pool, they can also use paged pool to store information. Paged & non paged pool are in ram, the difference being paged pool can be run from the page file, non paged has to stay in ram. So yes, drivers can use ram, but figuring out which it is would be hard part.

Apr 16, 2022
its not so much that its dangerous or causes any harm to ssd, but it makes sense to have page file on 1tb drive as opposed to a 128gb one as the 1tb drive has more space. It will free up space on the 128gb drive.

I would actually just install windows on the 1tb drive to give Windows space to grow, how old is the 128gb drive?
I thought it's a good practice to use different drives for system and for other files (albeit some software is installed on my system SSD too, e.g. my browser). But I have plans to buy another 1 TB SSD anyway, so I'll move my Windows into it, if that's possible.

Like I said, I bought this drive in August 2020, so it's just 1.5 years old. And it was brand new when I bought it.

software isn't perfect when it comes to guessing ssd health. I wouldn't rely on it lasting another 3 years, it might but I would at least have backups just in case one day PC just can't see it at startup.

Oh... But at least it should warn me if I have less than a month/week/day until the SSD will become a brick? Otherwise such function in software is useless as far as I can understand. But anyway, I think I store all the important stuff on my another costly drive, the main thing I'm afraid is the software licenses, I use some software which checks whether I bought it or not via SSD serial number and stuff like this one, it would be not so easy to fix it, as I have a lot of such programs (hope you understand what did I want to say).

Rammap doesn't show drivers.
Drivers mostly run in non paged pool, they can also use paged pool to store information. Paged & non paged pool are in ram, the difference being paged pool can be run from the page file, non paged has to stay in ram. So yes, drivers can use ram, but figuring out which it is would be hard part.

Whoops... that's not good. It sounds like a problem exists because of Microsoft coders, isn't it? I heard about the Driver Verifier tool, but as far as I understand it just does more BSoDs if there are any error related to drivers, I'm afraid that's not a thing can be easily disabled if it will go into trouble. o_O

Colif

Win 11 Master
the main thing I'm afraid is the software licenses, I use some software which checks whether I bought it or not via SSD serial number and stuff like this one, it would be not so easy to fix it, as I have a lot of such programs (hope you understand what did I want to say).
I have not seen software like the ones you describe, its not really fair to tie purchase of software to an ssd as they aren't guaranteed to last forever. Windows used to tie itself to CPU or Motherboard, as they should last as long as PC, and aren't easily broken in normal day use. Storage drives are the last thing I would want a license tied too.

John can help figure out the driver.
I am not sure what problem is he is looking for.
He might need to use poolmon as it can tell you what is using most of both pools
Driver verifer just checks drivers are behaving how they should. Its always running, the difference is you can set it to check certain things it doesn't do by default. If you run driver verifer, you want it to cause BSOD as that is how you identify causes.

Apr 16, 2022
I have not seen software like the ones you describe, its not really fair to tie purchase of software to an ssd as they aren't guaranteed to last forever. Windows used to tie itself to CPU or Motherboard, as they should last as long as PC, and aren't easily broken in normal day use. Storage drives are the last thing I would want a license tied too.
I was talking about some VST plugins. I don't have to re-purchase licenses after replacing a SSD, but I have to contact their developers to ask for transfer license from one SSD serial number to another. The same thing happens with my DAW (FL Studio), though. Not a real problem as I don't need to pay again, but since there are different developers of software I have to contact each of them. And also I heard that the same mechanic is used for game cheats (I am not a cheater but I just heard this fact from one of my friends, I'm fair don't blame me :)).

John can help figure out the driver.
I am not sure what problem is he is looking for.
He might need to use poolmon as it can tell you what is using most of both pools
Driver verifer just checks drivers are behaving how they should. Its always running, the difference is you can set it to check certain things it doesn't do by default. If you run driver verifer, you want it to cause BSOD as that is how you identify causes.

Oh, I am really thankful to everyone who's helping me to get rid of BSoDs. I really hope it's not a hardware problem, as I don't have a lot of money nowadays, and don't want to downgrade my PC. :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was talking about some VST plugins. I don't have to re-purchase licenses after replacing a SSD, but I have to contact their developers to ask for transfer license from one SSD serial number to another. The same thing happens with my DAW (FL Studio), though. Not a real problem as I don't need to pay again, but since there are different developers of software I have to contact each of them. And also I heard that the same mechanic is used for game cheats (I am not a cheater but I just heard this fact from one of my friends, I'm fair don't blame me :)).
Talk about copy protection. I don't know about game cheats doing it but Its no different I guess. Windows 10 does similar to make sure your PC is right, activation servers check PC occasionally to make sure its all the same.

Apr 16, 2022
Talk about copy protection. I don't know about game cheats doing it but Its no different I guess. Windows 10 does similar to make sure your PC is right, activation servers check PC occasionally to make sure its all the same.
Yes, copy protection, this is the thing I meant. Sorry I don't know English by native. Anyway, that's seems to be an off-topic, the copy protection thing is a problem, but it is not so hard to be solved, I just don't want to mess with all that stuff now because I'm working on something big and don't really want to taking a break due to solving the copy protection thing. :)

A lot of our software at work uses hard drive serial numbers, before moving to online versions solidworks, autocad, rockwell automation, and a few more tired the install to hard drive.

Have you tried updating your windows, bios, and drivers? Your OS is almost 2 years old now, Windows 10, version 2004, codenamed "20H1" was released in April 2020. You can update windows using windows update, for the bios and drivers manually go to the manufactures webpage and download and install them your self, dont use a third party driver installer they normally cause more harm then good.

Apr 16, 2022
sorry. i won't distract you.
No-no, I'm glad to see that you guys are helping me with the BSoDs, I found this forum way more useful than the official Microsoft forums. I'm sorry if you thought that my messages are rude, like I said I don't know English natively and I don't want to be rude with anyone here. :)

Apr 16, 2022
A lot of our software at work uses hard drive serial numbers, before moving to online versions solidworks, autocad, rockwell automation, and a few more tired the install to hard drive.

Have you tried updating your windows, bios, and drivers? Your OS is almost 2 years old now, Windows 10, version 2004, codenamed "20H1" was released in April 2020. You can update windows using windows update, for the bios and drivers manually go to the manufactures webpage and download and install them your self, dont use a third party driver installer they normally cause more harm then good.
Hi faalin,

I had Win10 2004 and Win10 21H1 in before. But in before I tried to update from 21H1 to 21H2 (as far as I remember), and that went into a trouble, for some reason my PC was bsoding after a minute of usage on every boot. Built-in restore functions did not help so I had to re-install from my USB (I had only USB with Win10 2004), and I decided to disable the Windows Updates Centre. I lost all my data by the way. So I download the drivers from manufacturers' websites (NVIDIA for graphic cards, MSI for most components, etc), in except of my Wi-Fi+Bluetooth adapter which I downloaded from a third-party website.

I think I should try an update once again, but like I said, it would be really bad if I'll have to do a reinstall once again, I have an one project I need to finish before doing such experiments. However, I remember I almost did not had BSoDs on my Win10 21H1, I can remember only one BSoD which appeared right when I wanted to reboot my PC. But the Windows Updates Centre does not allow me to install the 21H1 version.

I would us ddu and remove your GPU drivers and then install the latest fro Nvidia then update the OS. In the past month ive had a HP dl380 gen 9 server bluescreen on Video driver error and my home server a dell T5610 that did the same thing. Made sure windows was fully up to date and the latest video drivers and no issues since.

Apr 16, 2022
I would us ddu and remove your GPU drivers and then install the latest fro Nvidia then update the OS. In the past month ive had a HP dl380 gen 9 server bluescreen on Video driver error and my home server a dell T5610 that did the same thing. Made sure windows was fully up to date and the latest video drivers and no issues since.
I always use the newest NVIDIA drivers, I have their program called GeForce Experience which I use to download drivers. But yes, I guess I may update Windows (at least to 21H1 which was pretty stable for me), thank you for the tip! :)

if you are worried about this problem you can check for bad spots in your RAM using memtest86. it could be a bug in the firmware of the SSD, the bios or storage driver. Since the bad pfn was in standby memory It should not be accessed by most drivers. Windows see that you have a lot of RAM and copies programs that you previously used into that RAM, you could have a bad spot such that when the program got copied from RAM back to the pagefile on the drive the copy was bad. or when the pagefile data gets copied back into ram the copy was bad. it could be the ram, the storage device or anything involved in the process. (bios, firmware of ssd, storage driver) my guess is that the pagefile got corrupted on disk. Only windows should have access to the standby memory but I do think it could be a malware target. it is one reason I have people turn off virtual memory and turn it on again. It can dump malware from a pagefile.sys and a new pagefile.sys would be created at another location on disk and it would have different "bad" spots.

if you have free time, run the memtest86 on all of your memory. your system was only using about 1/3 of your RAM so you might have a bad ram that only the standby system hit.

note: windows is a paging operating system so it must have a pagefile. If you turn off the pagefile the system still runs since it will take a portion of your RAM and create a internal pagefile for windows to use. if you suspect a bad drive i would not put the pagefile on it. location is user specified.
--------------
I would use crystaldiskinfo and report the drives firmware version and look for a update. I would move the pagefile.sys off of any suspected drive and see if you bugcheck next month.

system uptime was 25 days 15hours 27 mins
another one was 14 days 16 hours 15 mins
last one was 10 days 11 hours

one of the bugchecks looks like windows was trying to remove some driver from compressed memory and when it checked it was corrupted. there is no way to determine what corrupted it.
(could be bad spot in RAM, or a corruption when ram got copied to disk and back into ram.

(memtest86 might show a bad spot in RAM)
I generally would not try to test a ssd since the writes tend to kill the drive)

it is some long term problem, since 2 bugcheck involved standby memory and one in removing a compress driver from memory. IE one that is not being actively used. most likely it got modified after it was compressed. then the system had to update it and detected the problem and bugchecked.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022
if you are worried about this problem you can check for bad spots in your RAM using memtest86. it could be a bug in the firmware of the SSD, the bios or storage driver. Since the bad pfn was in standby memory It should not be accessed by most drivers. Windows see that you have a lot of RAM and copies programs that you previously used into that RAM, you could have a bad spot such that when the program got copied from RAM back to the pagefile on the drive the copy was bad. or when the pagefile data gets copied back into ram the copy was bad. it could be the ram, the storage device or anything involved in the process. (bios, firmware of ssd, storage driver) my guess is that the pagefile got corrupted on disk. Only windows should have access to the standby memory but I do think it could be a malware target. it is one reason I have people turn off virtual memory and turn it on again. It can dump malware from a pagefile.sys and a new pagefile.sys would be created at another location on disk and it would have different "bad" spots.

if you have free time, run the memtest86 on all of your memory. your system was only using about 1/3 of your RAM so you might have a bad ram that only the standby system hit.
Ok, that's sounds wise. How long would it take for memtest86 to test all my RAM? And what should I do if it will find some issues in my RAM?

Edit: I don't think my PC has got attacked by malware. Never installed something suspicious, and never disabled my Windows Defender. Also I have the same assumption that the culprit is my SSD, as it is cheap and one of the last error code was UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (if I remember that right).

Last edited:
Ok, that's sounds wise. How long would it take for memtest86 to test all my RAM? And what should I do if it will find some issues in my RAM?

Edit: I don't think my PC has got attacked by malware. Never installed something suspicious, and never disabled my Windows Defender. Also I have the same assumption that the culprit is my SSD, as it is cheap and one of the last error code was UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (if I remember that right).
the store exception refers to the windows store. where windows stores and compresses contents of driver memory. it is in ram until it is needed but could be paged to disk over time. when windows needs it, it will decompress the data and check to see if it still checksums correctly. if not, it calls that particular bugcheck.
Sometimes you get it when a old driver writes to a object in compressed memory.
(old like windows 7)

Apr 16, 2022
I would use crystaldiskinfo and report the drives firmware version and look for a update. I would move the pagefile.sys off of any suspected drive and see if you bugcheck next month.

system uptime was 25 days 15hours 27 mins
another one was 14 days 16 hours 15 mins
last one was 10 days 11 hours

one of the bugchecks looks like windows was trying to remove some driver from compressed memory and when it checked it was corrupted. there is no way to determine what corrupted it.
(could be bad spot in RAM, or a corruption when ram got copied to disk and back into ram.

(memtest86 might show a bad spot in RAM)
I generally would not try to test a ssd since the writes tend to kill the drive)

it is some long term problem, since 2 bugcheck involved standby memory and one in removing a compress driver from memory. IE one that is not being actively used. most likely it got modified after it was compressed. then the system had to update it and detected the problem and bugchecked.
Hi, I've changed the pagefile.sys location to my another drive. How long usage of the memtest86 would take and what should I do if it will find some errors?
Edit: so if I understand everything right, most likely the reasons of BSoDs was my SSD? And if so, since I moved the pagefile.sys file, everything will be fine? Because I'm really afraid of memtest86 if it will take a whole day to scan my RAM... In this case, I guess I'll use it only after BSoD will happen again.

Last edited:
Hi, I've changed the pagefile.sys location to my another drive. How long usage of the memtest86 would take and what should I do if it will find some errors?
Edit: so if I understand everything right, most likely the reasons of BSoDs was my SSD? And if so, since I moved the pagefile.sys file, everything will be fine? Because I'm really afraid of memtest86 if it will take a whole day to scan my RAM... In this case, I guess I'll use it only after BSoD will happen again.
most people would run memtest overnight to get a pretty good indication your memory is ok. I would also reset the bios to defaults before I ran. Just so you are in a known state. It is hard to say the cause of a bugcheck like this until you find the actual cause. fix it and the problem goes away. You might have to wait a few months before you find out. That is why running the memtest overnight is a good bet. If it fails, you update bios, maybe change memory settings then retest again with memtest since you know the problem is not windows since windows will not be loaded.

good chance it is going to be related to paging on your old SSD but we have no proof. It is just a guess.

Apr 16, 2022
most people would run memtest overnight to get a pretty good indication your memory is ok. I would also reset the bios to defaults before I ran. Just so you are in a known state. It is hard to say the cause of a bugcheck like this until you find the actual cause. fix it and the problem goes away. You might have to wait a few months before you find out. That is why running the memtest overnight is a good bet. If it fails, you update bios, maybe change memory settings then retest again with memtest since you know the problem is not windows since windows will not be loaded.

good chance it is going to be related to paging on your old SSD but we have no proof. It is just a guess.
So... some memory errors may appear due to incorrect settings and such errors can be fixed via memory settings in bios? It's something like timings and XMP thing? I've never changed any of them. But anyway, I guess I should do memtest86 (as soon as I'll be able to) first.

And also, shall I reboot my PC after I changed the pagefile location? I did not do that yet (I use the Sleep Mode instead), but I saw some gigabytes of my old pagefile drive got freed.

P.S: and also, it's been about 2 months without any BSoD, I'm pretty proud of that.