[SOLVED] BSODs with different stop codes ?

Sayan_Deep

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
System Specs:-
CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Ram- Corsair Vengeance (8GBx2) DDR4 3000Mhz
MB- Gigabyte x570 Aorus pro
GPU- Nvidia RTX 2060 super
Storage- WD 240gb SSD(sata) + Seagate 2TB HDD 7200rpm

Windows 10 on a friend's 1yr old pc was running smoothly for months. Last week suddenly we were welcomed with a black screen when it booted up. Mouse, keyboard was working, pulled up task manager and ran 'explorer.exe' and everything went back to normal. Since then, every time it booted same thing happened. Safe mode didn't work either. So I did a clean install. But then 2 new problem started.
1. When booted up, there was a blank explorer.exe error message with yellow exclamation mark (which I think I solved by deleting that load file rom registry).
2. Windows started crashing randomly with different stop codes (Images). Sometimes when left idle, sometimes while browsing internet, sometimes when working in photoshop. But never when playing games. Played ark survival (installed on hdd) for about 12hr (turned off the pc for 1hr in between) , didn't crash once.

So far the 1st problem hasn't happen yet. But the random crashes still persists. Did clean install 2 more times with different iso, still the same. Booted with different ram sticks, each time in different slots, turned xmp on and off, changed the slots of the ssd and the hard-drive, removed gpu driver, booted in safe mode, Nothing seems to work. Only thing left to do is to boot with the hard-drive instead of the ssd. But I don't think that's gonna help either (Edit: didn't work). MB firmware hasn't been updated ever. But it was running fine without it. Didn't update windows for months either. All of it stared out of nowhere.

What seems to be causing the problem?
Edit: here's the minidump- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1USiG1irwp5c1PY4KzryJF8A-COd_Sf8-/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Solution
First one mentions amdppm in the stack text. so chipset drivers, remaining BSOD not so obvious.

Updating bios and chipset drivers might help, I can't tell which bios version you are on. - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset
There might be newer LAN drivers on here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan
Newer Audio drivers - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-audio

Unusual finding a gigabyte motherboard without the rgb drivers loaded

I assume Nvidia drivers loaded came with windows, since they from 2019.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Sayan_Deep

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
Sorry for getting back late. I've updated the post with the minidump

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/dJdgRdbL This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:121620-10437-01.dmp (Dec 16 2020 - 08:00:51)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:121520-11843-01.dmp (Dec 15 2020 - 00:32:48)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 20 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

File information:121420-9765-01.dmp (Dec 14 2020 - 03:47:45)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

File information:121420-9687-01.dmp (Dec 14 2020 - 01:12:30)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:121320-9812-01.dmp (Dec 13 2020 - 07:05:32)
Bugcheck:APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)
BIOS info was not included in the dump files. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
First one mentions amdppm in the stack text. so chipset drivers, remaining BSOD not so obvious.

Updating bios and chipset drivers might help, I can't tell which bios version you are on. - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset
There might be newer LAN drivers on here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan
Newer Audio drivers - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-audio

Solution
something is just strange with the microsoft version of the amd power management driver.
it is like the system tries to change it power state, calls the driver then tries to execute some random location that results in a bugcheck.
(or the driver tells the cpu to change power state, the cpu ends up with too low of power and starts running a bad memory address)

I still think this is going to be some mis match between the driver and the BIOS patches/ cpu patches.

best guess to install amd versions of the chipsets and the current bios updates. I would also try to prevent any calls from the power management functions that I could. Just to reduce the likely hood of a bugcheck. I would not let any special bios extensions run.

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes, difficult to update amdppm.sys when its part of windows. I just looked on my PC. My motherboard is very similar to this one (X570 Elite) but without knowing what bios he has, I can't say which driver combo is stable for me. it may not apply. I am still on bios F20 as it was necessary to support my CPU.

AMD drivers should allow him to use the AMD power plans.

Without driver version numbers I can't really compare his installed drivers to mine. MY drivers lack creation dates.

I guess you could go to the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdppm
and set START to have a value of 4
this would disable the functions in the driver.
i think it would disable the power functions that seem to be the issue

here is the list of what the values would mean.
ServiceStartMode Enum (System.ServiceProcess) | Microsoft Docs
it would be good if someone check to see what value their registry key has .

I have a intel cpu and power managemnet driver and its start up is set to 2 which is automatic startup

Sayan_Deep

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019

something is just strange with the microsoft version of the amd power management driver.
it is like the system tries to change it power state, calls the driver then tries to execute some random location that results in a bugcheck.
(or the driver tells the cpu to change power state, the cpu ends up with too low of power and starts running a bad memory address)

I still think this is going to be some mis match between the driver and the BIOS patches/ cpu patches.

best guess to install amd versions of the chipsets and the current bios updates. I would also try to prevent any calls from the power management functions that I could. Just to reduce the likely hood of a bugcheck. I would not let any special bios extensions run.
So it seems the bios update might be the key. The problem is the place he lives in has a problem if frequent power cuts and he's running without ups. So he's not willing to update at home in case he bricks the board. So I'll have to wait for him to visit the shop.

What I'm confused about is that this bios was running perfectly for a year. And out of nowhere these appeared. No changes were made. Is it normal? I've never saw it before. Although I have very little experience compared to most.

Sayan_Deep

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
I guess you could go to the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdppm
and set START to have a value of 4
this would disable the functions in the driver.
i think it would disable the power functions that seem to be the issue

here is the list of what the values would mean.
ServiceStartMode Enum (System.ServiceProcess) | Microsoft Docs
it would be good if someone check to see what value their registry key has .

I have a intel cpu and power managemnet driver and its start up is set to 2 which is automatic startup
Alright, will try it out and update asap

Alright, will try it out and update asap
basically hackers published code on some new hacks. The cpu vendors are trying to modify their CPUs to prevent the hacks. They are trying to patch the BIOS to block hacks, trying to get motherboard vendors to change their tools, pushing out CPU microcode fixes to block the hacks. I think this has cause a big mess where the different vendors are just out of sync with the fixes and fixes were not intended for certain CPUs or certain chipsets. Windows needs to make changes in order to prevent these attacks but the changes are going to break a lot of the motherboard tools people use.

it will work out over time. I think windows pushed out a amdppm.sys driver and a mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll (cpu microcode patch)
that are not actually working for certain cpu versions. I would expect AMD knows about the problem and they say updates will come out in january 2020
these will get pushed out to vendors first