BSODs with different stop errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
XP SP3 machine, P4 3.4GHz, 2GB memory, (2) 250GB hard disks RAID 1 with Intel Matrix storage. No new hardware, no new drivers, no new anything. Different stop error with each new reboot/BSOD.

Here they are, to the best of my memory, some on screen for too little time to read.

BSOD, FLTMGR.sys - stop errors 0x9C7 and 0xBA7
BSOD, page fault in non paged area
BSOD, FN list corrupt
BSOD, page fault in non paged area - stop errors 9C6F and 804F "disable BIOS memory options, caching or shadowing"
BSOD, stop: 0x0000008E (0xC000001D, 0x80580EBA, 0x9D3EDCE0, 0x00000000) physical memory dump

I tried:
unplugged all USB devices
boot into Windows normally, wouldnt last more than a minute before it rebooted it self
last known config
in safe mode long enough before it reboots, 2 items in msconfig/startup without names, just squares.
in safe mode unchecked all in msconfig/startup and checked normal startup
in safe mode with networking trying to save a Word document on another machine I made with scr shots of msconfig, it rebooted in the middle of that.
after one of these reboots it ran chkdsk which removed 1 or 2 things I dont remember, otherwise good report
in safe mode did a system restore
reseated memory after using a pencil eraser on contacts
held power button in while unplugged from AC power

Next startup, look at the boot choices menu (the screen that has all the choices like boot normally, safe mode, etc) and select no automatic restart on error.

Now when it crashes, you'll have a BSOD that stays and you can get the info needed about the crash.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

no 'no automatic restart on error', only

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
Last Known Good
start windows normally

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

I used the reset button at the splash screen, no 'no automatic restart on error' choice when it rebooted. I used the reset button again at the windows logon. Now when it boots, there is nothing on the screen though the monitor is getting a video signal.

That machine is messed up pretty bad. 5 different BSOD's and it won't offer to allow no restart on error. :(

A repair install is in order, unless it is under attack from within. I suspect some collection of malware is present and a repair might not do anything but waste your time and feed the malware. It could also be a failing memory. Do the least work first. Check the speed and timing of the memory in the BIOS so that can be eliminated. You can then do a repair install and see if the crashes are persistent. If the repair results in similar behavior, a clean install is next.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I've not used GoldMemory before. This is 5 hours into a thorough test, 1,094,579 errors.

dnozr6.jpg

This 3.5 hours into a quick test, 732,995 errors.

zilqtj.jpg

It would take days to finish these tests. Not lookin too good here.

Woa... that looks really bad. I have a hard time believing you have a catastrophic memory failure like that test is showing. Was there a power failure and a few times the power company tried to get lights back on unsuccessfully?

Does the system clock show the correct (or close to it) time? (thinking dead CMOS battery and loss of correct settings).

Have you looked in the BIOS to check memory speed, timing, voltages? If there is a setting for 'Auto' use it.

Is the fan running in the power supply? (power supply bad?) It is highly suspect if you really have toasted memory as the test indicates.

Do you live on the coast? (salt-air constantly). Remove the memory boards, clean with "Duster - Air" (canned compressed gas) and put back, test more.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
No power company issues.
System clock correct

antec true 550 eps12v fan at 980RPM, couldnt find exact spec, anywhere from 900-3800, red numbers in BIOS

vcore voltage 1.38v
3.3 voltage 3.31v
5v voltage 4.9
12v voltage 12.09

memory speed is in the GoldTest screens, nothing else in the BIOS
no salt air, blew out the DIMMs

This is a difficult problem because there is no event that can be associated with the computer failure. I'd hate to say buy new memory, even though yours fails test. Maybe one board, the least expensive you can find. The possibility is some other hardware is bad in the mainboard. They do go bad sometimes. It could be an on-board power supply that powers another component or caps that went bad. Nothing is pointing to an identifiable defect, so a single, cheap memory board replacement would be the last straw for me, then a new MB.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

Newegg has a PNY Optima 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 533 for $12.99, free shipping. I'll order it today. BTW, just for gits and shiggles I moved the DIMMs from the A banks to the B banks, no change.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I think I saved the $12.99. I removed both pieces of memory. I replaced them with a known good 1GB stick of DDR2 PC2-5300 from another machine. No joy.

Routinely, when the machine is powered up, before the OS or the BIOS loads, the physical drives are listed and the status of the Matrix RAID drives are displayed. Initially the RAID 0 system drive showed as failed/not bootable and the RAID 1 data drive showed as degraded. When I got into the BIOS one of the physical drive was gone. Started the machine again, the physical drives were listed and the RAID 0 system drive showed as failed/not bootable and the RAID 1 data drive showed as rebuild/bootable, yeah like thats gonna work. So correct me if Im wrong but that just supports the notion that the board is now a doorstop.

The only ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe I found so far was a used one on Ebay. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.