BSOL (Black Screen of Limbo)

nonexicted

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2015
Out of the blue the laptop started taking its sweet time starting spending between 1-3mins in the black screen with cursor. (Btw OS is W7 Ultimate x64)

I checked this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/14321-63-startup-delay-login-screen-blank-screen-cursor

I only have 4 wifi networks (2 at home, 1 at school and 1 at work). I put the Hotfix (KB2728738) and that worked for a while but it then started happening again. I updated drivers (with Driver Revival) and from the suggestion with the notepad log the drivers that aren't loading for me are:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\gzflt.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\trufos.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avc3.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\gzflt.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\trufos.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avc3.sys

I don't know why the last drivers are posted twice.... any suggestions? I'm at my wits end and a step before formatting the laptop AGAIN, which is something that I'd like to avoid 'cos I use it for my night school and I hate moving files about....

As for the event viewer I'm not sure how to work that so detailed info please

Solution

your drivers are not missing, they are wrong ones for that laptop
Well forget restore and move to the next steps.......
install all the drivers for win 7 64 bit from the makers site for that model (full model number from sticker underside) Then make sure you install antivirus/malware apps, update them and full scan.
Make sure after this you also update windows with windows update, also look in the optionals for hotfixes, just don't take offered device drivers from there either...

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
You should be getting your drivers from the makers site directly, installing manually each. Driver revival is giving you generic drivers for these devices and won't function correct as the makers drivers are tweaked to work with that configuration of their build.

I would restore the laptop using a restore point b4 driver revival installed these, then install all the drivers for win 7 64 bit from the makers site for that model (full model number from sticker underside) Then make sure you install antivirus/malware apps, update them and full scan.
Make sure after this you also update windows with windows update, also look in the optionals for hotfixes, just don't take offered device drivers from there either

nonexicted

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2015
I have bitdefender and even though I disabled it Windows Restore couldn't be done and right now I only have restores from the previous week which are after all those things were done. Plus I didn't thought I had drivers missing. So really its all a mess now

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

your drivers are not missing, they are wrong ones for that laptop
Well forget restore and move to the next steps.......
install all the drivers for win 7 64 bit from the makers site for that model (full model number from sticker underside) Then make sure you install antivirus/malware apps, update them and full scan.
Make sure after this you also update windows with windows update, also look in the optionals for hotfixes, just don't take offered device drivers from there either.
Give me the make/full model number, i will find you those drivers

Solution

nonexicted

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2015

Sorry for the late reply my laptop is a DELL Inspiron N5110 (it also says Device Model NO 5110-9900)

nonexicted

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2015

Thank you. Apparently I need to update my BIOS as well though I'm not comfortable doing it (more like scared) especially since there are 2 updates and I wonder if something might mess things up if they aren't installed as they were released

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Just install the latest one, Make sure the battery is fully charged and power supply is plugged in, Is fairly easy, the manual explains how, takes just a minute, but make sure you enter bios after, before rebooting windows and check your previous settings are still the same(boot order, Sata mode etc)Take notes before reflashing bios so you know those settings