BT Ad Blaming WiFi Issues On Phones Gets Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Funny that there's a lot of stuff that can cause interferences with Wifi, ranging from thick walls to CRT TVs.

But phones and radios are not amongst them.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Cordless phones would be one thing that could interfere – many use the same 2.4 GHz spectrum. Bluetooth can interfere as well. Microwave ovens can cause massive interference if their shielding is not as good as it should be.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Banning an ad is not enough. Worst that happens is loss of the money paid to the graphics firm producing the ad. Not preventing future attempts at misleading customers.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
i don't know if the Americans here know but the bt thing uses both 2.4ghz and the old 5ghz so if it thinks its getting interfered with by a cordless phone or something that also uses the 2.4ghz channel it will go to the 5ghz one (although I think the thing receiving the signal has to also support 5ghz or something)

I do however have no idea how a radio could interfere

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Phones can interfere. Some years ago I was at a customers house because his internet periodically didn't work. Turned out his 'skype phone' used the same wifi channel that his internet router had picked (channel 6). That's not a standard landline phone, but it most definetly was a phone causing the issue. I don't know about radios, but there's no reason a radio with some faulty/worn electronics can't send out a 2.4 or 5ghz signal.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
I thought banning ads for water that said water prevents dehydration was rediculous. I guess facts still have not place in advertising, be it those that make, or those that don't, those in the US, those the EU. All just $, $$, and $$$.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

If a radio was using the 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands, you wouldn't get any radio stations. Also, a radio doesn't send out signals, it receives them. Radios operate on Hz and KHz bands....so, it's impossible for a radio to interfere with WiFi.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The single highest cause of internet slowdown and interference in the UK is from the bell wire in your master socket where you adsl router plugs in. It channels interference from all over the house like a huge antenna directly into the router. This is BT equipment and can be easily resolve with a simple plug between the filter and the socket. BTs rivals should have produced their own ad telling people this, maybe handing out free plugs to their customers too

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
It sounds like a marketing person overheard an engineer in an elevator talking about interference, and decided to make an ad from the idea. But then didn't bother to determine what actually causes interference.

Someone should make a TV show depicting marketing people vs. R&D. Put them on a deserted island and see which team does better. The winners get to choose between the latest iphone and a plane ticket home, and the losers get whatever's left. I would watch that.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
MetaGeek's Wi-Spy let's you see the 2.4GHz spectrum for yourself (hardware is $200, basic software is free).

When I used Wi-Spy in my apartment:
#1: Microwave was by far the worst for interference (when running it of course). It basically blanketed the entire spectrum with noise that halted any Wi-Fi or Bluetooth traffic near it.
#2: Other competing Wi-Fi access points were the 2nd worst source of interference. Easily fixed by changing my router's channel number.
#3: Cordless phone was a distant 3rd, when it was in use. Note: there are multiple 2.4GHz cordless phone technologies out there.
#4: Bluetooth was an extremely distant 4th. It showed up as micro-blips across the spectrum.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I don't understand how radio could interfere because radios only receive and don't transmit signals. Maybe when they say radio they don't mean the things we listen to music on; they mean walkie-talkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.