[SOLVED] BT Fibre - Slowww.... Please Help

Jan 8, 2022
Hi, we are on 70mb fibre from BT, using the supplied Router and also we have a mesh system setup again from BT, although im only 20ft away running wireless, my computer seems to be so sluggish when connecting to websites etc, I am using a TP-Link wireless usb dongle rated - 5GHz band, Im wandering what would be causing my internet connection to be so slow, i mean the router says 70mb download but netflix / YT / PH buffers.. any ideas?

I need to order a new monitor, so am wondering if its worth changing the router too.

Thanks

Solution
Are you 20ft away from the router or 20ft away from the mesh unit. How far is the mesh unit from the main router.

So many people think they can just stick the mesh unit anywhere and they magically work. It takes extremely careful placement so they get a strong signal from the main router and can still send a good signal to the remote location. Some houses that have wall/floors that absorb a large amount of signal this placement does not exist.

I would try to turn off the mesh unit and see how well the signal from the main router works. Just having a repeater/mesh device in the house can degrade the entire wifi network because it interferes with the other signals.

If you are going to spend money the best option are to try...
Are you 20ft away from the router or 20ft away from the mesh unit. How far is the mesh unit from the main router.

So many people think they can just stick the mesh unit anywhere and they magically work. It takes extremely careful placement so they get a strong signal from the main router and can still send a good signal to the remote location. Some houses that have wall/floors that absorb a large amount of signal this placement does not exist.

I would try to turn off the mesh unit and see how well the signal from the main router works. Just having a repeater/mesh device in the house can degrade the entire wifi network because it interferes with the other signals.

If you are going to spend money the best option are to try to not use wifi. Look at moca if you have coax cable in both rooms and if that is not a option consider the newer powerline units with av1000 or av2000 number. These tend to provide a much more stable signal that wifi.

The slowness is likely being caused by interfering signals from your neighbors wifi as well as your repeater unit.

Solution