BTX to ATX

Bosox1196

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Im upgrading my rig, and i have a BTX case and motherboard right now, and im going to be changing to a ATX case. Do i just need to change out my otherboard for an ATX or do i need a new power supply too?

Solution
It makes sense before i made my computer this year i ran a hyper threaded P4 for the longest time, and I remember that thing would get extremely hot since the it didn't have proper airflow, which is why I like the NZXT Switch 810 since it has amazing airflow especially the tilted fans for the GPU.

4745454b

Titan
I'm sure there is a wiki... :p

Short answer is back in the day when Intel had the hot P4, they came up with the BTX form factor. Electrically it's identical to ATX. But parts were flipped around so that it could be cooled better. Remember that heat rises, so some ATX things like GPUs aren't good for thermals. But then Intel gave us the C2D and didn't need BTX, so it died. OEMs were really the only ones to use it. Not very common these days.

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

Huh interesting I guess we are all still learning in one way or another :)

4745454b

Titan
BTX basically came about because Intel at the time was having thermal problems. Odd thing is it made sense. ATX isn't bad and has served us well. But flipping some thing over to improve thermal numbers isn't a bad idea. But as I said, once Intel brought us C2D is basically died.

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
It makes sense before i made my computer this year i ran a hyper threaded P4 for the longest time, and I remember that thing would get extremely hot since the it didn't have proper airflow, which is why I like the NZXT Switch 810 since it has amazing airflow especially the tilted fans for the GPU.

Solution