[SOLVED] Budget (150$ - 200$) cpu mb and ram upgrade?

Oct 26, 2021
Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my current pc because it is slow and some apps need more recources.
I just need a cpu, ram and motherboard upgrade.
It can be with used parts and old parts like a 3gen intel if its a good option.

Currently I have:
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50 Ghz
  • Gigabyte g31m s2h
  • 4GB ram DDR2 800 Mhz (unknown brand)
  • Stock cooler (I already have one picked so no need to recommend one)
Other parts which I don't want to upgrade:
  • Radeon Rx 550 4GB
  • 250GB ssd and 1TB hdd
  • 500W psu (only 4pin cpu connector)
If the budget make this upgrade not worth it or not possible you can suggest other possibilities around 200-400$.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
To be honest, if you can find them at retail prices, for 300$ you can actually get a new cpu ram and motherboard.
A ryzen 3 3100 (100$) or i3 10100F (97$), a B450 motherboard for about 75$ or so, and 8 or 16 gigs of ram depending on what you need. I would also suggest getting a new cheap psu, like a corsair cx or even cv 450 watt. I think they're around 50$ or so.

Yes, you can buy a 3/4th gen intel system, but the thing is, buying those cpus standalone isn't even that cheap, so to get a good value you need to buy a whole system (like an old dell optiplex, or hp machine with an i5/i7 3rd/4th gen), which would include parts like the case, maybe some storage and psu you might not need, and you would need to do more research to see if the...
To be honest, if you can find them at retail prices, for 300$ you can actually get a new cpu ram and motherboard.
A ryzen 3 3100 (100$) or i3 10100F (97$), a B450 motherboard for about 75$ or so, and 8 or 16 gigs of ram depending on what you need. I would also suggest getting a new cheap psu, like a corsair cx or even cv 450 watt. I think they're around 50$ or so.

Yes, you can buy a 3/4th gen intel system, but the thing is, buying those cpus standalone isn't even that cheap, so to get a good value you need to buy a whole system (like an old dell optiplex, or hp machine with an i5/i7 3rd/4th gen), which would include parts like the case, maybe some storage and psu you might not need, and you would need to do more research to see if the system will support you gpu.

Solution