Budget (699USD) Gaming Laptop with 16GB RAM

lapdog33

Commendable
Jan 20, 2020
I have been exploring Lenovo ideapad Gaming 3 for last 8 hours and i m not sure anymore what to do. it fits my budget and it has positive feedback.
What troubles me is 8GB of ram which seems is simply not optimal anymore.

Variants of Lenovo Idea pad gaming 3 that do have 16GB of ram are considerably more expensive. at least in Serbia

well anyway what would u recomend, under 700 USD or 660 Euros

I dont need a lot of Storage (500GB SSD would be enough) and i dont need fancy things. all i want is 16GB RAM and best GPU and CPU i can get for that money

edit: the reason i m not interested in 8gb Gaming laptop is because i dont know if adding* another 8gb will work well with my existing 8gb. (even if its same CL , same frequency etc)

Last edited:

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Looks like it has upgradeable memory as it is SODIMM's so you can upgrade to 16GB in that case. If it was soldered on I would be wary. I suspect you can either add another SODIMM with the exact specs of the original which should have no issues or replace with a 16GB SODIMM.

lapdog33

Commendable
Jan 20, 2020
Looks like it has upgradeable memory as it is SODIMM's so you can upgrade to 16GB in that case. If it was soldered on I would be wary. I suspect you can either add another SODIMM with the exact specs of the original which should have no issues or replace with a 16GB SODIMM.
i see. If i decide to add additional 8gb , problem is i dont know how to check what CL the RAM is . For example in the description it says 8GB RAM 3200mhz , without mentioning fine details . the particular Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3 is this variant LENOVO IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 82K20087HV but i cant find exact ram being used in it. nobody shows it anywhere and RAM manufacturers likes Kingston/Crucial dont even have that variant in their list, as far as i saw at least. What troubles me more is that there are different laptops (some have 3050, some 1650, some have more SSD etc) but they are marked as this same variant 15 82K20087HV

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
i see. If i decide to add additional 8gb , problem is i dont know how to check what CL the RAM is . For example in the description it says 8GB RAM 3200mhz , without mentioning fine details . the particular Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3 is this variant LENOVO IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 82K20087HV but i cant find exact ram being used in it. nobody shows it anywhere and RAM manufacturers likes Kingston/Crucial dont even have that variant in their list, as far as i saw at least. What troubles me more is that there are different laptops (some have 3050, some 1650, some have more SSD etc) but they are marked as this same variant 15 82K20087HV

I would be surprised if what Lenovo are using was very unique, I'm sure they don't quote because they prob don't use exactly the same in each laptop even of the same SKU. I'm pretty sure it would be a case of taking the cover off when you get it and google the serial off the Ram itself. If it was completely blank it's probably just worth replacing it if you are really worried, although getting hung up on what CL RAM is when buying a budget laptop isn't really worth it, it won't make a noticeable difference.

lapdog33

Commendable
Jan 20, 2020
so just to ask more people, would u recomend me to "gamble" by adding additional 8gb 3200mhz ram with similar /exact CL if i can find it when i buy the laptop?