[SOLVED] Budget AC router recommendation?

BNDAZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
i searched and did not see anything prohibiting asking for a recommendation:

Helping my Mom to purchase a new router as her old one is dead. ( i am 1800 miles away , manage her sytem remotely for her but she can hook up hardware no problem).
she need a good reliable router , pretty standard use, a couple wireless devices like phones and Alexa.
Her internet connection is( and will always be <60Mb/s) single level 2000 sqr feet pretty open, no major walls.
Looking at tplink ac1200-1750 units so far.

Any insight?

Solution
Personally, I would buy an Asus RT-AC68U, used on E-Bay. Flash it with Merlin FW. Setup the remote admin, SSIDs, passwords, etc. THEN ship the configured device to her.

BNDAZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Personally, I would buy an Asus RT-AC68U, used on E-Bay. Flash it with Merlin FW. Setup the remote admin, SSIDs, passwords, etc. THEN ship the configured device to her.
Thank you, i actually have the Tmobile branded version of that router.

Sidenote..trying to figuire out how to flash the firmare on it.

i searched and did not see anything prohibiting asking for a recommendation:

Helping my Mom to purchase a new router as her old one is dead. ( i am 1800 miles away , manage her sytem remotely for her but she can hook up hardware no problem).
she need a good reliable router , pretty standard use, a couple wireless devices like phones and Alexa.
Her internet connection is( and will always be <60Mb/s) single level 2000 sqr feet pretty open, no major walls.
Looking at tplink ac1200-1750 units so far.

Any insight?
Good call w/ TP-Link, they have been my go-to budget choice - I have a Archer C7 at my parents house for the past few years, it's been the most reliable connection they have had to date. We tend to give it a good workout when we visit and max out their 50/50 plan at least once a year! Same situation, 2500 sq ft and get good 5ghz through out the entire house.

I can only imagine their latest gen model like the Archer A6, which gives you mu-mimo w/ 4 antennas and gig ethernet for $45, would give you a very similar experience. Check out the TT review here...

BNDAZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I looked up the T-Mobile / Merlin question -- Can no longer (at least) be done. See the FAQ posted by Merlin Fifth FAQ. That is why I recommended the genuine Asus version. I have a couple of those that I have retired.
I get/got it for free form Tmo , otherwise i would have gotten the Asus branded unit. Ill take a look and see if its worth flashing.

BNDAZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Good call w/ TP-Link, they have been my go-to budget choice - I have a Archer C7 at my parents house for the past few years, it's been the most reliable connection they have had to date. We tend to give it a good workout when we visit and max out their 50/50 plan at least once a year! Same situation, 2500 sq ft and get good 5ghz through out the entire house.

I can only imagine their latest gen model like the Archer A6, which gives you mu-mimo w/ 4 antennas and gig ethernet for $45, would give you a very similar experience. Check out the TT review here...
Ill take a look at that A6 i got going towards and Asus as well and was looking at these two:
AC1700(RT-ACRH17)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07628HLTM/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
which seems like overkill for her situation, and
ASUS Dual-Band AC750 (RT-AC51U)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXYT7XB/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1