Budget AMD build to MAX Diablo III+DotA 2 $700-800?

GuruMenace

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=24157788

I have never built a PC before, but I want to try this summer for Diablo III and DotA 2.

What do you think? I just want to max Diablo 3 and Dota 2. I only have a laptop atm, no PC. I've done quite a bit of research into computers for the past couple of months and I've been scrounging up $ to build a pure gaming computer only. I'll continue to use my laptop for college work and browsing, music, etc.

Anyway, I have to re-buy a keyboard if you are wondering. I all ready have a 1080p 23" HDMI monitor too. I'm in a college dorm so no ethernet port and a wifi adapter is a must. The wifi adapter that I listed is the one advised by my friend. Apparently, it's also #1 on newegg lol. I heard the stock coolers are bad so I chose the reclaimed hyper 212 cooler. I can't really do better than $800-900 atm. I'm trying to get closer to $700 if possible, but I'm not sure how. I'm only using the PC for gaming purposes only so I'm going with a SSD for obvious reasons. The 128gb space should enough for a windows 7 install, steam, 2 games, browser, antivirus, and other light programs right? Too wary of HDDs. Also going to buy all parts from Newegg. Is the 430w PS enough for the 550ti? Do I need a 6850 instead of the 550ti. Is the 550ti too weak?
What do you think?

Recommended cards by Blizzard for Diablo 3:
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/video-card-support-for-diablo-iii

Yeah, that's better. It's a nice build, however I think a 128 GB SSD for a gaming computer of $800 isn't a great choice. You also don't need the AS5. I'd recommend a HD6850/6870 over a 550 Ti, though that seems trivial if a 9800 GT can run it at max.

GuruMenace

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Can I get other recommendations?

I'm not using the PC for anything but gaming. So shouldn't 128gb suffice. I'm skeptical on using a HDD, especially a 1 TB 7200rpm sata III HDD that's only $30 less than this SSD.

I know the HD 6850/70 are the best budget cards for price/performance ratio concern but it's a but more than the 550ti. So I don't know what to do.

In addition, what's wrong with the thermal compound? Does the CPU come with one pre-applied?

Games today take 10 GB per install easily, but if you feel 128 GB is enough then sure - I know it wouldn't suffice for me.

For D3 only it seems it doesn't really matter. If you're planning on playing other games with more demanding graphics I'd suggest the HD6800 series.

The Cooler Master comes with thermal compound.

GuruMenace

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Good to know about the thermal compound.

Anyway like I said earlier, I'm only using this PC strictly for Diablo 3 and Dota 2. I probably will also be playing Torchlight 2 but that looks less demanding than Diablo 3.

Also, I do have a laptop that's about 3-4 years old and it's got 250gb...I've only used 48GB! That's with Diablo 3 beta and HoN installed and Microsoft Office and Firefox and other random stuff. So I think I'll manage quite well with 128gb.

Any other suggestions?