Question Budget "Big" Case? (Noctua NH-D15 and Larger GPU)

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
Any recommendations for a case that is around $100 (or less???) that will fit a Noctua NH-D15 and a "larger" graphics card? And still has good airflow?

I am looking to build a system with an i7-12700k and plan to cool it with a Noctua NH-D15 (unless you can recommend a BETTER air coller for the same price or less).

I also plan to (eventually) buy a larger graphics card (maybe a used RTX 3070 or 3080, or an RTX 4--- series) when prices on those cards start to drop. So I don't know exactly what size the card will be.

Also, I don't care about RGB / Eye candy. I don't care if it the ugliest case in the world.

But it would be great if it is realitively easy to work on. I am sure I will have to uninstall and reinstall stuff a couple of times because I am most likely to plug things in the wrong places (first build for me, afterall).

Thanks in advance.

I also plan to (eventually) buy a larger graphics card (maybe a used RTX 3070 or 3080, or an RTX 4--- series) when prices on those cards start to drop.
you can get a RTX 3070 for ~$500, Ti for ~$600, 3080 for ~$700 new right now.
i doubt used prices would even be that good for quite some time because most used cards on the market right now were purchased for 2-3x current prices.

if you're planning on waiting for the RTX 4000 series why don't you just wait and build the entire system then?
the Intel 13000 series is still expected sometime in the near future.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Any recommendations for a case that is around $100 (or less???)

Since choosing a PC case is completely personal choice, it's nigh-impossible to suggest one for you.

However, what i can do, is to narrow down the selection for you, while removing clearance issues. By using PCPP.

Now, here is reference build,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($377.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK EVA e-PROJECT ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($218.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB SUPRIM X Video Card ($1048.43 @ Newegg)
Total: $1745.36

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-13 14:41 EDT-0400

1. Click on the "PCPartPicker Part List" link. You will be redirected to pcpp page.
  2. Once there, click on the "Edit This Part List", top-right hand corner of the list.
  3. New page shows up, giving you ability to customize the build.
  4. Click on "Choose a case". You'll be presented a list of PC cases, that fit the reference hardware. Also, make sure that on the top-left side, the "Compatibility Filter" checkmark is checked.
  5. Feel free to filter the list as you see fit. E.g setting max price to $100 and then ordering the list by price.

In reference build, i put in NH-D15, ATX MoBo and Suprim X. <- Suprim X is one of the biggest GPU designs out there and if it fits, then any GPU you plan to get will fit also.

Reactions: My PC Hates Me

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
you can get a RTX 3070 for ~$500, Ti for ~$600, 3080 for ~$700 new right now.
i doubt used prices would even be that good for quite some time because most used cards on the market right now were purchased for 2-3x current prices.

Thanks for the reply.

While your comment certainly makes sense, I was planning on using my 2060 Super until the prices on better cards do come down a bit. I know that might be many months or a year or two.

if you're planning on waiting for the RTX 4000 series why don't you just wait and build the entire system then?
the Intel 13000 series is still expected sometime in the near future.

Well... I might just do that...

My situation is a LITTLE bit different than others. I use my pc mostly for video editing / photo editing (since I am a professional photographer and videographer), and I plan to have my teenage son start working for me too. So I kind of need to build TWO systems.

So the thought was a i7-12700k for me and an 15-12600 for him. We would probably use our current graphics cards (my 2060 super, he a GTX 970ti) and our lousy old ram until prices came down... whenever that is.

But I have been thinking that it is best to wait until we at least know WHAT the 13th-gen will bring.

Also, since I need TWO PRETTY GOOD COMPUTERS instead of one epic build, the plan was to stick with DDR4 and PCIe-4. Don't know if I am being penny wise, pound foolish with that.

Sigh...

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
Since choosing a PC case is completely personal choice, it's nigh-impossible to suggest one for you.

However, what i can do, is to narrow down the selection for you, while removing clearance issues. By using PCPP.

Now, here is reference build,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($377.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK EVA e-PROJECT ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($218.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB SUPRIM X Video Card ($1048.43 @ Newegg)
Total: $1745.36

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-13 14:41 EDT-0400

1. Click on the "PCPartPicker Part List" link. You will be redirected to pcpp page.
  2. Once there, click on the "Edit This Part List", top-right hand corner of the list.
  3. New page shows up, giving you ability to customize the build.
  4. Click on "Choose a case". You'll be presented a list of PC cases, that fit the reference hardware. Also, make sure that on the top-left side, the "Compatibility Filter" checkmark is checked.
  5. Feel free to filter the list as you see fit. E.g setting max price to $100 and then ordering the list by price.
In reference build, i put in NH-D15, ATX MoBo and Suprim X. <- Suprim X is one of the biggest GPU designs out there and if it fits, then any GPU you plan to get will fit also.

Wow!!! Thanks for doing that.

Question about motherboard selection: What if Iwas planning on using DDR4 instead of DDR5? (And PCI-e 4 instead of PCI-e 5?)

Thanks again.

Reactions: Aeacus

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
Also, just to let everyone know where I am coming from (since I didn't make that clear in my initial post).

I use my computer(s) for video editing / photoshop / lightroom.

I am currently using an i7-6700 with 24GB of ddr 4 2300 (and it's totally mismatched), and an RTX 2060 Super.

Since Davinci Resolve (my video editing program of choice) is pretty GPU reliant (and benefits from the iGPU in the 11th and 12th-gen intel CPU'S), that's why I am looking at i7-12700k.

Oh... one more IMPORTANT thing for me. I dual-boot windows and Linux. I have heard horror stories about Microsoft working with hardware manufacturers to make it more difficult to install "alternative" operating systems (i.e., Linux and Unix). so whatever I get, want to be sure that it will not "lock ou" Linux. (And no, WSL aing gonna work for my needs).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Question about motherboard selection: What if Iwas planning on using DDR4 instead of DDR5? (And PCI-e 4 instead of PCI-e 5?)

At current moment, there is little reason to go with DDR5, other than future proofing,
further reading: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ddr5-vs-ddr4-is-it-time-to-upgrade-your-ram

And here's further reading on PCI-E 5.0,
link: https://www.xda-developers.com/pcie-5/

Now, CPU based PCI-E support, on Intel side, goes like this;
10th gen - PCI-E 3.0
11th gen - PCI-E 4.0
12th gen - PCI-E 5.0

While there are no GPUs, at current moment, that would use PCI-E 5.0.
Bulk of the current GPUs are PCI-E 3.0, while RTX 3000 series is PCI-E 4.0. They all still work in PCI-E 5.0 slot though.

Reactions: My PC Hates Me

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
At current moment, there is little reason to go with DDR5, other than future proofing,
further reading: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ddr5-vs-ddr4-is-it-time-to-upgrade-your-ram

And here's further reading on PCI-E 5.0,
link: https://www.xda-developers.com/pcie-5/

Now, CPU based PCI-E support, on Intel side, goes like this;
10th gen - PCI-E 3.0
11th gen - PCI-E 4.0
12th gen - PCI-E 5.0

While there are no GPUs, at current moment, that would use PCI-E 5.0.
Bulk of the current GPUs are PCI-E 3.0, while RTX 3000 series is PCI-E 4.0. They all still work in PCI-E 5.0 slot though.

Thanks so much for the explanations!!! :)

Reactions: Aeacus