Budget build for around 500$

Fuun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hello.

I am planning to upgrade my PC or buy a new one.

My budget is around 500$ for upgrade and maybe a little more if i need to get a new build.
I want to play Tom Clancy's: The Division on high-ultra at 1080p, 30 maybe 60 fps.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 3.0 ghz
GPU: Radeon HD 6870
Mobo:Asrock 970 Extreme3
RAM: Corsair 8GB ddr3 1600mhz

I'm not sure if i should switch my whole build to an intel one and keep the RAM only or buy an AMD cpu.

i5-4670 or FX 8350.I think sticking to AMD would save me a few bucks on the MOBO.
For video card i was thinking about a GTX 770 or R9 280X.Should i go higher for an 780 for high-ultra settings?

Also, my monitor is a bit outdated.Could you suggest me a good 1080p monitor at a fair price?

P.S. Should i wait for next year for the prices to go lower?As the game gets released sometime next year.

The Protagonist

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
8350 would be fine, but... It says your mobo "Will throttle on overclocked FX 8-core" (find your mb on the list):
http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database
However, for demanding upcoming games (that game will show up in 2015, right?) you need at least such system, that runs maxed out crysis3 and other decent games well. So you should aim on the gtx680 performance range.
RAMs are ok.
I suggest to wait for the fall.

Solution

Fuun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Thanks for the info.
Also, as The Division needs a heavy card because of the looks i can also assume it need a heavy cpu due to being open world.
The Map size is not officially confirmed, but i think it's New York and a bit more.So something like we've never seen before.Maybe in minecraft but that's something else.
Could that an Intel handle better?XONE and PS4 is running on AMD as far as i know so maybe AMD gets more support here.Still Intel's single threaded performance is a lot better.
Hwcompare says that the 770 is slightly better than the 680.The 280X seems even better in percentages.That should be fine.
What do you think about the Intel vs. AMD debate here?

The Protagonist

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
There's nothing new I can to say. Intel performs better in high-end market, cost more. AMD suggests valuable cpus in mid-range. To keep your system efficient, mostly you need to upgrade every 3-4 years. So in 2016 8350 will probably be outdated. We need to wait to see, what companies are planning (heard something that FX series are discontinued), whether will be new sockets provided or not. That's why I suggest to wait at least a few months. I bought fx6300 a half year ago and it satisfies me by it's price and performance. Everything depends on what you expect and how long you're going to use it.

TRENDING THREADS