BUDGET BUILD: Using 2.5 inch Laptop HDD instead of 3.5 inch HDD

g_lytton

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
Good Morning all. Currently I'm planning a new budget gaming build for a friend using (4)2.5 inch laptop HDD, instead of the standard 3.5 inch HDDs. He wants the look of SSD installed in his rig. If I use WD Black 7200 RPM 6Gb/s 2.5 inch drives instead of using the standard WD Blue 7200RPM 6Gb/s drives, will there be a performance reduction of the system since I know that laptop HDDs use less power and generally have a smaller Cache Memory (16MB as opposed to 64MB)?

I know he could always take out a second mortgage and use (4)2.5 inch SSD drives instead, but keep in mind that this is a budget build. I know I can build it, but will there be any issues. Below is the link to the 2.5 inch HDD that he provided. If there is possibly a better option than these while remaining cost efficient, please do share.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-750GB-Performance-Mobile-Drive/dp/B00DSUTX3O/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41eVP2NbuaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=23BN24J4KZNRCJTDMW0W

You're pulling our legs, right? You really don't think you could install four - count 'em, 4! 2.5" drives in a desktop PC and it will give your friend what he or she is looking for, i.e. "the look of SSD installed in his rig", do you? (Let alone the performance). I mean you really don't believe that, do you?

If he/she really needs the 3 TB of storage space for his/her games, then build the "rig" with a 3 TB HDD and a 120 GB SSD for the OS (or preferably a 240 GB/250 GB/256 GB SSD).

g_lytton

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
No... I'm not "pulling your legs" as it's what the he asked for. And a simple yes or no would have sufficed without the sarcasm lol. Never said I "WAS" going to do it, just wanted to know (verify) if there would be a big performance drop off if he still wanted to go that route. As you did, I advised against it for many of the same reasons. Even citing that the price of the (4) 2.5" HDD would actually cost more than if he let me do a simple 120GB SSD w/ a 2TB HDD. But Thank You for your answer
;) .

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
the 2.5" hard drives (like laptops use) are actually pretty nice - low power, quiet, reasonably fast (but even a WD Black 2.5" is slower than a 3.5"), and since they're the same size as an SSD it'll be easy to physically swap from HDD to SSD.

they're also easier to stuff into oddball places, or hold in place with tape or a ziptie.

g_lytton

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
That's the main reason he was wanting them, for the aesthetics and to utilize the (4) 2.5" bays on the CM Storm Trooper case. I will just advise him against it citing speed issues. Thank You for your response. :)

My sincere apologies. After subsequently re:reading my response I realized my rather feeble attempt at some humor was poorly expressed and came across as unwarranted sarcasm. I was wrong to have responded in that vein and I hope you will accept my apology.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
a single SSD big enough for the operating system (120G) isn't that expensive. up here in Canada they're around $40. if he has a few 2.5" HDD kicking around and if the motherboard supports it, maybe (for fun) set up a RAID-0 or RAID-5 for his data storage. so, one SSD for OS, and a few HDD for data. cheap, looks cool, fits in tight spaces, etc.

g_lytton

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
You're fine. No worries :D . You were basically saying the same thing as I told him. That it was illogical lol.

g_lytton

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
That's actually not a bad idea. :)