Question Budget Build

Jun 3, 2019
Hello Guys,
I apologize if this is not the right thread, tried to search for a "Builds discussion tab" but nothing came up.

Anyhow, I'm trying to build a cheap as possible PC that would allow me to do the work that I need.
Run Cubase, ProTools and Sibelius 2019 with multiple instances of Kontakt Instruments, these are DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) that are heavy on CPU and RAM.
I was thinking on something along the lines of a 6-8 core with 16gb of RAM in one stick (to later expand to 64gb) with some SSD (250 to 500gb).

Budget:
700ish EUR (currently in Portugal, so consider no imports)

Considerations:
1x16GB RAM Stick to later upgrade to 4x16GB Sticks
Possibly a decent Motherboard to later upgrade to Ryzen 3rd/4th Gen (If Ever).
Don't intend in making this a Gaming PC, ever, so no expensive GPU, if any.
No overclocking necessary, I reckon.
*The reason being is that these workloads tend to oscillate in requirement quite often and usually only necessary to perform at their best through a 5-10min period, as it is when playback a track. (my assumption might be wrong).

What I thought so far:
MB - B450M TITANIUM
CPU - AMD RYZEN 5 2600
COOLING - STOCK
SSD - SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 250GB
GPU - RX550
RAM - CMK32GX4M2B3000C15W (CORSAIR 32GB C15W 3000MHZ
PSU - CORSAIR VS650
CASE - NZXT H500 (seem some good reviews on it, especially for the price and being a negative pressure).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PSU - CORSAIR VS650
I'd avoid the VS series -the newer ones are better, but are still ultimately some of Corsairs lowest quality PSUs - PSU is the last thing to scrimp on otherwise you risk damage to your other components or poor operation (as many of us have had with the Corsair VS series).

Just be wary upgrading RAM later if you don't plan on buying a whole new pack - RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack) and you can run into compatibility or stability issues if you just add more modules and mix later.

Jun 3, 2019
I'd avoid the VS series -the newer ones are better, but are still ultimately some of Corsairs lowest quality PSUs - PSU is the last thing to scrimp on otherwise you risk damage to your other components or poor operation (as many of us have had with the Corsair VS series).

Just be wary upgrading RAM later if you don't plan on buying a whole new pack - RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack) and you can run into compatibility or stability issues if you just add more modules and mix later.
Thanks for this mate, I had no idea.
Compatibility is a huge deal for me, specially as in to avoid crashes or corrupt files. I would not be happy to work on a couple of tracks and then get it corrupt or crash down on Me without any saves.
I reckon that at the same time, there isn't a 64gb ram kit compatible with Ryzen 5 2600?
I haven't taken the time to explore every single motherboard that would Support.

Thanks

Jun 3, 2019
Oh also, getting 1 ram stick will slow down ryzens performance a lot.
Yeah, the more I look into quad channel memory sticks that are B-Die Samsung, 64gbs and 3000+ MHz the more I realize that there aren't any.
that is, according to G.Skill and Corsair's website. Both cap out at 32gb dual and quad channel 4x8gb sticks.
Not sure about Intel's but the AMDs seem to go up to 32GBs

Jun 3, 2019
You really don't need bdie anymore. If you want a config to expand to 64gb later, I would buy 32gb now so you can get dual channel.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XC...-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f4-3000c16d-32gisb These should work.

By the way, ryzen is dual channel only. You can use 4 stick, but they will be in dual channel with slightly slower performance than 2 sticks.
That is grand, thanks a lot for this. Good to know Samsung B-dies are not as crucial as once thought.
How do I find if a specific chip is dual channel or quad channel?
Do the same rules for Ryzen apply to threadripper? Dual and Quad Channel, memory speed dependancy? Do you know about that? thanks

Jun 3, 2019
Ryzen and ryzen threadripper both love ram above 3000mhz.

Ryzen threadripper can support 4 channel memory, however no am4 ryzen cpu can.
That's good to know. Can I get your opnion on this?
I've seen a youtuber, american, speaks very 80's salesman like, very soathing voice and unbearbly slow cadence.
Can't remembre his name. He stated that if you are looking to go for 32GB Ryzen, you should go for Ryzen 7 Rather, and didn't explain.
Do you have any idea as to why and even if it is actually true?