Budget Card for Light Gaming and Work?

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
So I was just wondering, if I, hypothetically, was building a serviceable budget-style computer that would be used for some light gaming and video watching etc. Would it be worth getting a GT 1030 when there are till cards like the GTX 760Ti out there? I am not looking for insane triple A performance but i am just wondering as to the point of the 1030 existing when the older time-tested gaming cards are still very much alive. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Solution
the thing is, 1030 is a new architecture .
It supports newer API, and more power efficient, it’s like compare old i7 vs new i3.
760ti is more powerful, but they are more expensive if you want to buy them brand new and if you get it used likely has little warranty. Also, software driver support will be limited, if you have some common issues with the card, likely later Gen will get addressed and older Gen will not be suppported. If you want to use you existing cards, you want to take a gamble on eBay or creigs list, sure but ymmv, 1030 has warranty and support, so for many user it’s a lot less hassle. Just like a new car vs a old car, if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, $40000 can get you either a brand new c class or a second...
the thing is, 1030 is a new architecture .
It supports newer API, and more power efficient, it’s like compare old i7 vs new i3.
760ti is more powerful, but they are more expensive if you want to buy them brand new and if you get it used likely has little warranty. Also, software driver support will be limited, if you have some common issues with the card, likely later Gen will get addressed and older Gen will not be suppported. If you want to use you existing cards, you want to take a gamble on eBay or creigs list, sure but ymmv, 1030 has warranty and support, so for many user it’s a lot less hassle. Just like a new car vs a old car, if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, $40000 can get you either a brand new c class or a second hand fully loaded s class, you have to phase in the risk factor as well.

Solution

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018

Thank you for the advice and knowledge! Good to know and duly noted. I thought that those problems would exist in the older model cards, regardless of how powerful they still are. I am also interested in the MX150. Its the mobile adaptation of the 1030 and actually clocks higher on average XD.

It's true you can get more performance per dollar buying used. However the older cards do use more power, so you'll need the power supply that can handle the card. If you already have the power supply or were planning to buy one then this isn't an issue.

So maybe the more powerful used card cost $30 less but if you have to buy a power supply then it actually isn't going to cost less.

Size can be a factor too. You can squeeze a 1030 into just about any computer. A full size gaming videocard can require more space than some pre-builts like Dell or HP allow for in their cases.

The key is to be as specific in what you'll use it for as possible. "Light gaming" means nothing. What games are you hoping to play and at what resolution, ie 1080p? Being specific results in you getting what you need at the lowest cost.

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018

Thank you for your response! Low end steam games such as Team Fortress 2, Red Crucible, CSGO, or perhaps even some Minecraft! For most of these games, a 1030 would run them at low to mid settings (tho Minecraft is more CPU heavy in general. I would LIKE to play these games at 1080p but i would not consider it a necessity. I also never thought about space concerns and that is a very good point. If i am planning to just upgrade the video card on an old Gateway tower PC then yes the GT1030 would be a more practical option due to heat and space.
Thank you!