[SOLVED] Budget Chromebook Recommendations

jerH

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
My son is starting college in a few weeks. He has a solid desktop system, so he's looking to purchase a Chromebook as something he can carry on campus. He's pretty debt-conscious, so he's looking at the sub-$200 systems.

The one he's looking at is an Acer CB3-532-C47C, 15.6" , 2GB RAM, 16GB Internal Storage, Celeron N3060 Dual-Core

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-CB3...hguid=bebaf392-3aa-16c8d17ef24c2d&athena=true

because it's what his high school used and he said it was adequate. It's the only Chromebook he's ever seen, and I've never used one. Just wondering if anyone had a better recommendation? I'd be willing to spot him if it was a little above the $200 threshold....just not a Pixelbook :)

Solution
Your son is going to use this for next four years. I'd recommend upping the budget, and getting him a "real" laptop. Chromebooks, while cheap, are somehow limited in versatility. The moment one of the professors say, "Install and use this Windows/Mac app for next assignment", he'd be locked into the desktop.

Also - check with the school he's going to, they might have specific requirements.
Your son is going to use this for next four years. I'd recommend upping the budget, and getting him a "real" laptop. Chromebooks, while cheap, are somehow limited in versatility. The moment one of the professors say, "Install and use this Windows/Mac app for next assignment", he'd be locked into the desktop.

Also - check with the school he's going to, they might have specific requirements.

Solution