Budget comp help

Firestorm

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I am trying to build a budget A64 comp. This comp just going to be used to basic stuff like surfing the internet, applications, programing, etc. Also going to use to do SOME gaming, like Enemy Terriotry, simcity, etc, but no any of very new games. Don't have any $$ to buy any those intensive games :( I usually don't time to play games and try and control myself, so Gaming won't be my main priority Anyhow, I want this be A64 comp since all benchmarks show it excel in these areas.

I already have a nice 80 GB HD, monitor, and DVD-RW drive. I have very old graphics card that I could reuse, not exactly type it is, all I can tell is 32 MB with TV out put and 4x AGP card. Probably need get new vid card though. I have budget of $600 max (SHIPPED!) to buy the rest of the components. What is basically need is CPU/MB/Memory/case/PSU + maybe vid card.

This is what I am thinking about right now:
A64 3400 newcastle socket 754
MSI Neo platinum
cosair 2.5 CAS DDR 400 512 MB
Thermaltakes 480w PSU
Some case for maybe $80
Get vid card for about $50
This comes out to roughly $600. Any other suggestion specs for improvements.

Firestorm

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Oh yeah one more important thing. I ABSULOTELY WON'T BE OVERCLOCKING IT. I am rather a newbie and don't know how. Also for things I will be using it for, doubt overclocking it will really give a huge boost to performance.

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
ok go with a basic case with a good psu (included). that'll save u the money that u should definatly go with a 939 mobo. much mroe upgrade friendly and allows dual channel (possibly cheaper RAM)

itll b alot easier if u get a a64 3000+ and use THAT money to get a ~$100-140 vid card. will offer much better performance in case you want a new game sometime.

ok so here it is broken down:
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-501&depa=0" target="_new"> A64 3000+ saves you $69 </A>

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-468&depa=0" target="_new"> MSI Neo2-Platinum adds $12 (still saving $57) </A>

keep the same memory

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-171-046&depa=0" target="_new"> I like the look of this case and it saves ya $30+$70 for PSU (total of $157) </A>

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-409&depa=0" target="_new"> Lastly 9600Pro vid card that will raise $50 more (total saving after all changes=~$100) </A>

hope this helps :smile:

Homer: (crying) ahhh i dont remember the last time i cried like this!
Lisa: When u put ur shirt on backwards
Homer: (crying) o ya, (crying) the tag chafed my skin (crying)

Newegg has a "just pc" case with 350w power supply for about $40 shipped. I've used the L&C ps that comes with it in 3 builds, and it may be all you need if you're not overclocking. I use a celistica 9600se video card (about $60 at newegg) and it works fine for me. For a budget board, asrock has a dual cpu board for $80 at newegg that works with either socket 754 or 939. Foxconn has a cheap socket 754 board with built in video ($68 at newegg), with the sis 760 chipset.

Firestorm

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I really don't trust cheap/generic PSU so don't think I will buy that case dd_viper suggested. Also would a 350w L&C PSU really cut it for a A64? I would personally prefer to go for namebard 480w PSU even if cost $80.

As for vid card, I think thet $60 one that was suggested is good. I definetly don't want to pay $100 for vid card, that would just make me want go play more games. And like I said I am trying keep myself from playing games!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an L&C 425W power supply here, it's on the upper end of standard for quality.

You might just consider looking at the Inwin mid-towers from Newegg for around $70 that include a 430W power supply. Inwin uses excellent power supplies in their cases, and their cases are made of good quality materials, nice and sturdy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>