Question Budget cooler for overclocking 3600, ram clearance?

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7rJZRk

After researching the stock cooler I want to upgrade. I first looked at the NH-D15 because of the rave reviews. Problem is Noctuas website says ram my not clear if its above 31 or 33 cant recall now. The ram I'm using is 45mm tall.

Any recommendations for cooling solutions that will 100% positively fit and allow for some light-moderate overclocking?

Thanks

Note: If I can do this under $50 that would be a huge bonus but under $100 is a requirement for my budget.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Reactions: whoopdeedoo

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Mugen-5.jpg

Mugen 5 Clearance As far as cooling it's pretty close to the DH15 by about 1-2 degrees
Mugentemp.jpg

Full review here.

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
The stock cooler can handle slight overclock fine and given from my understand that the Ryzen 3000 don't really overclock that high anyway it's probably all you'll really need.

From what I've been reading so far the wraith stealth is okay for stock setups but even in that case it runs warm. Not dangerously so but enough to make me uncomfortable particularly if I overclock. That and the resulting noise from it trying to keep up would be an issue for me.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Mugen 5 Clearance As far as cooling it's pretty close to the DH15 by about 1-2 degrees

In fairness, that is with a 6700K at 1.325V, which is well within the capaibility of most reasonable coolers.
The gap may open up a little more if it were tested against a higher core count/higher voltage chip, but it's a very respectable cooler.

From what I've been reading so far the wraith stealth is okay for stock setups but even in that case it runs warm. Not dangerously so but enough to make me uncomfortable particularly if I overclock. That and the resulting noise from it trying to keep up would be an issue for me.

It can be used for some overclocking too - but it will tend to run a little warmer/louder.

I had assumed you wanted Noctua, which is why I suggested what I did.

HOWEVER, Ryzen is pretty limited in terms of what you're going to achieve in overclocking (light is probably accurate,. moderate OCing is a stretch), and keeping temps in check will allow it to boost to pretty much it's max (+/- %) without manually tuning anything.

To achieve this, the Mugen linked above would be plenty adequate -as would something like a GAMMAXX 400, which is <$35 for the white version:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cb...00-white-743-cfm-cpu-cooler-gammaxx-400-white

Or, there is the dual tower NEPTWIN too, at ~$50 if you wanted something that appears more beefy:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wPkj4D/deepcool-neptwin-white-7434-cfm-cpu-cooler-neptwin-white
Same deal on this one, you can raise the front fan if you have to. It's 159mm tall stock, so it might be a tight squeeze if you needed to raise it, but you should be fine.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm testing the DeepCool Assassin III right now, it's a huge Noctua-like dual tower cooler that is 'supposedly' going to be better than the NH-14/15.

I won't be able to give you the actual #'s until the review comes out, but I can give you the thumbs up/down when I have finished.

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
In fairness, that is with a 6700K at 1.325V, which is well within the capaibility of most reasonable coolers.
The gap may open up a little more if it were tested against a higher core count/higher voltage chip, but it's a very respectable cooler.

It can be used for some overclocking too - but it will tend to run a little warmer/louder.

I had assumed you wanted Noctua, which is why I suggested what I did.

HOWEVER, Ryzen is pretty limited in terms of what you're going to achieve in overclocking (light is probably accurate,. moderate OCing is a stretch), and keeping temps in check will allow it to boost to pretty much it's max (+/- %) without manually tuning anything.

To achieve this, the Mugen linked above would be plenty adequate -as would something like a GAMMAXX 400, which is <$35 for the white version:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cb...00-white-743-cfm-cpu-cooler-gammaxx-400-white

Or, there is the dual tower NEPTWIN too, at ~$50 if you wanted something that appears more beefy:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wPkj4D/deepcool-neptwin-white-7434-cfm-cpu-cooler-neptwin-white
Same deal on this one, you can raise the front fan if you have to. It's 159mm tall stock, so it might be a tight squeeze if you needed to raise it, but you should be fine.

I've read so many great things about Noctua I'm certainly leaning in that direction. I bought one of there fans to replace the exhaust fan on my case and everything about it from the packaging to the fan itself screams quality.

I'm aware it doesn't overclock much (its part of a budget gaming build) I really just want it to run as fast as it can while staying cool and quiet. If I go overboard with a nice Noctua at least I know it'll be extremely quiet and when I upgrade I'll still have a very nice cooler capable of handling whatever I upgrade too.

The Noctua coolers are the best but they cost twice as much as the Mugen 5 rev. B and the difference in cooling is negligible. (tested on Ryzen 3700X 4.1 GHz OCed)
By the way the Mugen 5 is easier to install and very quiet.
You could get the dual fan version (PCGH Edition) to get even better results.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Agreed on the whole Noctua element, everything they do is quality. Colour-scheme left a little to be desired, but the Chromax variants (black fans etc) helped quite a bit. I've had my NH-D15 for years and love it. Would I buy it again though, especially for a modern Ryzen chip.... I'm not so sure, honestly.

By the way the Mugen 5 is easier to install

That's a bit subjective and, looking at the installation instructions, it uses a mounting setup that's clearly inspired by/knock-off of Noctua's SecuFirm™.

Pretty sure Noctua's is considered one of the, if not the best installation method so, at best, the Mugen looks to be similar in ease of install.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Agreed on the whole Noctua element, everything they do is quality. Colour-scheme left a little to be desired, but the Chromax variants (black fans etc) helped quite a bit. I've had my NH-D15 for years and love it. Would I buy it again though, especially for a modern Ryzen chip.... I'm not so sure, honestly.

That's a bit subjective and, looking at the installation instructions, it uses a mounting setup that's clearly inspired by/knock-off of Noctua's SecuFirm™.

Pretty sure Noctua's is considered one of the, if not the best installation method so, at best, the Mugen looks to be similar in ease of install.

To be honest, dropping $90 on a CPU cooler for a 3600 seems like overkill. This isn't the chip to buy if your into overclocking and for a typical Auto O.C anything in the $35-$50 range would be a nice jump over the stock cooler. I picked up the CM X adapters when Ryzen launched and even the older and cheap 212 lines are good enough to give you max Auto O.C.

It's really up to the OP on what he wants to spend, $90 and have clearance issues or $50 and not have those same problems.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
To be honest, dropping $90 on a CPU cooler for a 3600 seems like overkill. This isn't the chip to buy if your into overclocking and for a typical Auto O.C anything in the $35-$50 range would be a nice jump over the stock cooler. I picked up the CM X adapters when Ryzen launched and even the older and cheap 212 lines are good enough to give you max Auto O.C.

It's really up to the OP on what he wants to spend, $90 and have clearance issues or $50 and not have those same problems.

Totally agreed, as I stated before.