[SOLVED] Budget cooler for R7 2700x (planning to OC between 4.0-4.3GHZ)

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
I'm looking for a "budget" cpu cooler for Ryzen 7 2700x. Max. price should be 60€ but can be a lot lower if the cooler is good and if possible has RGB that works with AURA sync.

Solution
Oh for sure, I forgot liquid coolers were in that price bracket.

100% get one the AIOs for sure. Deepcool makes decent quality AIOs. Your temps will be far better.

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

For some reason stock cooler gives me min. 50C on idle (@4GHz) and yes I did check that cooler was properly mounted, applied new paste a.k.a the premium type, changed settings in BIOS, but nothing so idk.

WildCard999

Titan

What is your ambient temp and load temp?

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

ambient is 24C +-2C and load (5min runtime) is around 73C +-5C probs would be higher if I would've run the test longer, but it was pretty stable at 73C

WildCard999

Titan

Well 73C is still within safe limits so at least it's not overheating but if you want a better cooler and one that's within your budget I'd look at the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4. It doesn't have RGB but it's a good cooler, there's also the Cryorig R1 Universal which is really good but a bit over budget.

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

I used MSI kombustor's CPU burner and for temps used ryzen master just for FYI, but is it normal that the cpu idles at 50C and cooler is at ~60%. Main reason for this post is actually because the stock cooler is kinda loud and I don't want to lower the fan curve cause personally I feel like cpu going over 80C is too much even tho its AMD.

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

update: screwed around a lil bit in BIOS. I got idle to ~40C now but it still randomly spikes up to nearly 50C in idle, also put the fan on silent mode (asus b450-f strix mobo). Okayish temp. but the sound still bothers me and due to the fan being on silent im afraid it will start going 80+ on workloads or atleast near 80. So pretty much just one of the AIO coolers? Doesn't have to be from deepcool, tho should have either no RGB or support for AURA.

AIO's are not always the best option. While they are more pleasing to the eyes, they are more expensive, louder, and dont last as long as a big air cooler.

For the the $40 dollar range, I would look at the Cryorig H5. You can always get RGB fans for it. If you have a little bit more money, then the Cryorig R1 is a higend air cooler. The Noctua NH-D14 is widely considered one of the best air coolers on the market, I just cant stand the way it looks. Another high end option is the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4.

If you do go for an AIO, dont get a 120mm rad, they just dont cool well enough compared to a 240mm.

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Okay so yea... umm tried more of a real life stress test of OBS + csgo. with 4.0GHZ on cpu.
Settings:
OBS:
* 1080p 60fps
* x264 CBR
* Bitrate: 4500
* Keyframe: 2
* Preset: fast
* profile: high
* Process priority: above normal
CSGO:
* everything maxed out :p

And the temp peaked at exactly 100C but stayed between 85 - 95C. Recording from it shows a lot of frame dips that obviously are from thermal throttle. So yea I think I should rename the Thread to in need of a good AIO.