[SOLVED] budget deep learning workstation

Oct 13, 2019
Looking to build a budget deep learning workstation for self education purposes with 700 dollars or less budget. Looking for advice

Solution
Anything a low-quality Thermaltake will do, a Focus Gold will do better. Specifying GPU overclocking isn't actually a thing for a PSU; if one specifically says that you can overclock a GPU, it's a strangely odd specific thing to note. A GPU is either competent enough to run an overclock or it is not.
Oct 13, 2019
You need to start with the hardware requirements of whatever software it is that you are going to use.
'deep learning' doesn't mean a whole lot.

My apologies, I was thinking of taking RTX 2060 Super as a must and fill up the rest with low budget gear, also 16 GB ram and 2 TB HDD are good as well. The deep Learning such as convolution neural nets training which I plan to do on a powerful GPU.

Oct 13, 2019
"and fill up the rest with low budget gear"

May we assume the PSU falls into 'the rest'? That is very typical...people don't consider the power supply as a critical item that needs to be 'non-crappy'.
Don't do that.

Thanks for the response, I actually came up with a plan and listed my proposed hardwares with price in a previous thread post which was deleted during pending and I'm not sure why, I'll list it here again:

CPU: i3 9100f
GPU: RTX 2060 Super
Motherboard: ASRock B365M PRO4 LGA1151/ Intel B365

RAM: Patriot Viper Elite Series DDR4 16GB PC4-21300 2666 MHz

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD
SSD: Kingston 240GB A400 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD SA400S37

Last but not least:
PSU: Thermaltake Smart BX1 550W Bronze SLI
&
Case: Rosewill ATX Case, Mid Tower Case with Blue LED Fan

Which even though I tried hard to find the cheap alternatives the above total budget still went over the intended budget(above total is 810 USD).

I'd like to know if it's possible to cut down the budget more and since I have never actually done any PC building myself, would like to see you and other people point out the wrongs like if the GPU card and PSU dont fit the case etc. and give advice. Thanks.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Anything a low-quality Thermaltake will do, a Focus Gold will do better. Specifying GPU overclocking isn't actually a thing for a PSU; if one specifically says that you can overclock a GPU, it's a strangely odd specific thing to note. A GPU is either competent enough to run an overclock or it is not.

Solution