Question Budget E-ATX case

zack1986

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Hi

Ive purchased a Motherboard that is larger than the usal Asus ROG Max IV Ext-Z, its classed as E-ATX

The actual size of the MB is 269 x 305mm

Can i get away with a ATX case, as i didnt realise how expensive EATX cases were

Any recommendations appreciated (in UK pounds)

Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's more than a few decent mid-towers that'll support e-atx class mobo's, especially if it's atx based standoffs (Ultra ATX or XL-ATX) and not EEB or SSI-CEB etc.

The problem usually isn't in the mobo being supported, it's in the fitment. The size of the case physically, means that parts of the mobo extend over grommets or wiring holes, protrude into aio space, extend down far enough to prevent use of psu shrouds etc.

Fitting it in a mid-tower is one thing, fitting everything else is another entirely.

The opinion to return it and purchase a standard ATX mobo that'll do the same job, at the same quality of board is valid. Mid-towers are designed for ATX, not E-ATX, that class of board was an afterthought and not part of the original design parameters.

You can make an 8cyl Chevy engine fit inside a Mini Cooper, but that'll mean sacrificing the back seat area, breathable air, the firewall etc. Some things just should be, even if they can be. If you don't want to spend out on a Full tower, or even own a full tower, don't use a mobo that honestly requires one.

The depth if the named motherboard is only 16mm longer than a standard ATX motherboard. It is expected to have the end be unsupported.
Only very large EATX motherboards and cases will have an extra set of support holes at the end of the motherboard some 300mm distant.
This is really not a problem unless the case is very compact.

@zack1986 Pick a case you like and post a link to it.
I think we could easily determine if there would be a problem with that motherboard.

What Graphics card will be used?
You are more likely to be impacted by graphics card length than ATX/Eatx motherboard size. Many graphics cards are longer than the 10.5" of your motherboard. Specs for a case will often specify maximum graphics card length.